Engineer stole from car

Options

Comments

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Twenty quid in "small change" for parking...?

The insurer subcontract the work to a national fitting company.
    The fitting company almost certainly subcontract to local fitters.

Don't see why not. I regularly throw my loose change into a tray in my centre console. I rarely pay to park but that is what the money gets used for. There is often 10-20 quid there.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £20 in "small change" is a substantial bulk. Even in £1 coins, there aren't many "covered containers" in most cars that will fit that much. If you don't think that the insurer will consider the likelihood of that substantial an amount ever being there to be stolen, then you're being very naive. And surely she'll simply use an app for paying for parking...?

So are you dealing with the insurer? Or is this a game of Chinese Whispers?
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 December 2018 at 1:09PM
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    £20 in "small change" is a substantial bulk. Even in £1 coins, there aren't many "covered containers" in most cars that will fit that much. If you don't think that the insurer will consider the likelihood of that substantial an amount ever being there to be stolen, then you're being very naive. And surely she'll simply use an app for paying for parking...?

So are you dealing with the insurer? Or is this a game of Chinese Whispers?

There's one in my Mazda2. Indeed I imagine it would hold two £20 bags of pound coins easily.

ETA: I tried it. It took 3 £20 bags.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    You can report it in case there's a trend. You're not going to get anything back from them or any confirmation on outcome.

Don't leave valuables in a car if there's an unattended installation
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    vivera01 wrote: »
    Does it really matter that the insurance company speak to me?

If she was the one who originally spoke with them, and then gave them permission to speak with you about this matter, then there's no problem. If this didn't happen this way then they're in breach of the GDPR by speaking with you without their customer's consent - something which could land them in serious hot water (far more so than one of "their" engineers nicking £20 from a car).

Can you not see the relevance of this? Would you be happy for your insurer to talk to me about your policy (if I phoned up and pretended to be your daughter)? Thought not. ;)
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Had this recently, again about 20 quid of change. Useful for parking or if the wallet gets forgotten. Very easy to accumulate. Its the principle though, not the amount. Whinged at the insurance company but doubt any thing came of it.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    Has she thoroughly checked he car? Was the change in area where the engineer required access?

I've had this before when I've had my car in for some work and all they did was move the change to another holder in the car.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    vivera01 wrote: »
    Not really the point is it?

He was an engineer supplied by the insurance company. He shouldn't steal from their customers and shouldn't need to be supervised.

Do you supervise the engineers when you take your car into the garage for a service?

No, but I don't leave £20 in the glove box either...
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There's at least £10 of change for parking meters in a lidded cubbyhole in my car. Never thought of removing it when being serviced etc. and its still there. (OK - not counted so someone could have had a few coins and I wouldn't notice).

The problem is that unless it was challenged immediately on returning to the car after the fitting - it's one person's word against another. Unless there are repeated complaints about the same fitter - I doubt it will get anywhere.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    No, but I don't leave £20 in the glove box either...

I empty my car of everything when I put it in for a service and I do actually trust my garage. Can't see why anybody wouldn't to be honest (no pun intended :) ).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure