Get a grip woman!

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've always loved travelling independently, I've done it ever since I graduated from college, and thats a long time now :D Only exceptions were when I needed a quick break, and I took a coach trip to a hotel in the Netherlands, and when I went to Zimbabwe, my uncle there booked me a four day break to go on safari - no way I'm going into the African bush independently :eek:

Otherwise - go for it :j:j:j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Narrowly avoided a mishap - asked our Son to check when his MOT and Service are due. The MOT ran out in the last week so it is parked up now until it is booked in for a service and test on Tuesday. He has been saving £100 a month so he should be well-placed to pay for this without me subbing him the money for him to pay back. His insurance will be next month. He now has two years' no claims discount and is 25 so we are hoping he gets a bit of a reduction this year - it was over £800 last year :eek:

Re our house, we think we have come to a decision. We are going to keep going with this one - reduce the asking price a bit and sell the second house whatever happens. We will take ours off the market and give up the dream if it is either sold to someone else, or the stress of no buyer for ours gets too much.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    In case you think I'm a controlling Mother, of course I am - that car is registered in my name because I had borrowed Son's money and so had to take out finance on the car when he got it. Of course it is all insured in his name but it doesn't seem sensible to transfer it as it would cancel the VED and add another owner
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Now that we've paid off the 0% credit card I can almost detect (with my divining rods) my complacency filter starting to twitch. I need to put myself under pressure to pay something off - the house is the highest interest rate but the credit card from holiday is this month's target - Monday I think. I will check

My grocery shopping on Friday night was insane - a total of £126.69 out of my £200 average budget - then I realised £59.49 of that is store-cupboard and freezer stuff. So another £21 in the butcher yesterday and £11.90 in the Health Food Shop. Good grief...
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Hi suffolk lass, I can add to the butter saga. MrL put it up to £1.30 a couple of weeks ago, and then back down to £1.23 last week!

We would buy the derelict too :)
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey Suffolk Lass, a Norfolk lass here thought I'd pop over the border and say hi! Will read through and catch up when I've dealt with all this washing!!!!!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Now that we've paid off the 0% credit card I can almost detect (with my divining rods) my complacency filter starting to twitch. I need to put myself under pressure to pay something off - the house is the highest interest rate but the credit card from holiday is this month's target - Monday I think. I will check
    That's your *un* complacency filter :kisses3:
    My grocery shopping on Friday night was insane - a total of £126.69 out of my £200 average budget - then I realised £59.49 of that is store-cupboard and freezer stuff. So another £21 in the butcher yesterday and £11.90 in the Health Food Shop. Good grief...
    I remember Goldie Girl saying that she'd average out her grocery spends over the whole year precisely because of buying storecupboard stuff when it best suits.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Hello redofromstart and missymoo81 - you are welcome - I'm a bit haphazard about posting in month but I pick up when I am mulling over or reporting in. I've got my mortgage in my debts to clear as it only has 5 years to go and over £100k remains - and I want to retire within 18 months if I can!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »

I remember Goldie Girl saying that she'd average out her grocery spends over the whole year precisely because of buying storecupboard stuff when it best suits.

Yes I do - my overall target is £3k for the year with £500 for stores, an extra £100 in December and £200 average across the rest. I haven't paid full price for laundry detergent, shower gel or toothpaste for years!

I've also reduced some stockpiles (who knew there were over 100 toilet rolls when I started). So much supermarket stock it felt like a warehouse but not charging them for storing it! :rotfl:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    That's your *un* complacency filter :kisses3:

I average my freezer and store cupboard spend over the month (so much per week). I like my freezer to run full as I think it is more economical and does not ice up as quickly. What I fill it with depends on how much the weekly spend on food essentials is. If I have an expensive weekly shop I buy extra loaves of bread, maybe a tub of cheap ice cream or large packs of frozen veg or chips. In a lean weekly shop I bulk buy meat or fish.

So one week I will concentrate on store cupboard stuff and the next it will be household and cleaning stuff so maybe dishwasher or washing powder or bulk buy kitchen paper/Toilet rolls. That has worked for me for years. If I could only get the OH to do the same :rotfl:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback