Get a grip woman!

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well I bit the bullet and made all my planned C cakes yesterday. Three small and two medium from two quantities of the recipe I use. As I have made them good and early I will "feed" them for a month by injecting with a children's medicine syringe and "injecting" brandy, before deciding whether to ice them. That is four C gifts sorted and one for us.

We did do the dump run yesterday but then I had to have a little lie down before any gardening (having got up at 05.00), by which time it was raining.

I have a Dr appointment this morning but planning another NSD today if possible. I must get out in the garden and plant my bulbs and prep the veg garden for winter. We will need lots of farmyard manure and maybe some old carpet/matting to suppress weeds too.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Right. It is going to be another freezer week plus some sort of roasting meat. That leaves bowl fruit, breakfast blueberries and fridge stuff to buy. Still got loads of fresh and frozen veg.

November is looking a bit better but we have over £500 in planned spends to come so not going to go mad.
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I love "the C word" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    DEBTS[/B]

[STRIKE]£110,621[/STRIKE] £99,999.03 (£10,621.97 paid so far) - Mortgage
    [STRIKE]£3,476[/STRIKE] £0 (£3,476)- DH's car - paid off on 21st Aug 17
    [STRIKE]£8,755.54[/STRIKE] £4,377.78 (£4,377.76) - Barclays 0% Finance for double glazing (50% paid now!)

Total [STRIKE]£122,852.54[/STRIKE] £104,376.81 - that is £18,475.74 or 15.05% paid off so far.

SAVINGS
    £10,414.78 the rest paid our mortgage down to exactly £100k, only for a few pennies to take it below and down to five figures :T:T
    £12,541.93 (was £12,549.27 in August - so after a dip in September this has recovered well) S&S ISA with Fidelity International (original £10,000 5 years ago, no further capital added)
    £6,641.19 DH's S&S ISA with Charles Stanley Direct]
    £3,150.60 2 year Bond with Skipton BS @ 4% Finishes in early 2018 - This will be used to reduce the mortgage!
    £11,330.58 7 year bond with Skipton BS - matures Oct 20
    [STRIKE]£38,630.43[/STRIKE] £44,078.99 Total actual cashable savings this is a slight dip from last month but that is because I paid almost £3,000 off the mortgage

Shortfall -£60,297.82 (all debts)

Well the electricity meter is running, rather than walking, now the Aga is on for the winter but it does mean there is no need to turn the heating on at the moment, and no need to use the small oven in the kitchen or the gas hob (until April).
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    October Report
    - Live within our income - try to avoid any top-ups to bills account and running cost accounts in October Fail :( I accidentally used the bank card to buy my season ticket, and a couple of cheques have cleared that I thought I had already accounted for. I moved £250 from the emergency savings back to the current account otherwise that remaining credit card bill would have hit us with overdraft charges again this month. Other than that, no further mishaps
    - Investigate how much it will cost to repair the wall scrape to the bodywork of my car that I acquired No estimate but the car is booked in to have the work done next week
    - Overpay the mortgage by at least a bit this month done - I've now raided the savings pot just to nudge under £100k
    - Do some fun things This month I have been to the classic motorbike show, been for a lovely walk with Son and friend in the local river valley - even borrowed two dogs, and went to friends on Friday for a girls night in and got completely and unexpectedly sozzled due to a bit of accidental drink-confusion
    - Continue with the deep clean at our other house not done yet and not on the plan - a change of plan and Son's friend has moved in. Good job we sorted some of it.
    - Kon-Mari a drawer in my chest in my bedroom Just did a pile of clothes - 8 pairs of too-big trousers to go to the charity shop
    - autumn pruning and tidy in garden Did masses - still loads more to do
    - lose at least 2 pounds to tip me under the next stone number on the scales did not tip under - stopped at exactly the stone mark. Disappointing. Must to better
    - process the apples and tomatoes before they rot done

November Targets
    • I am starting to think about Christmas things. I have also volunteered to host some friends for New Year, which will be fun, so I need to prepare for this.
    • I also need to find out how many I have for Christmas Day. It seems we will be 7, 8 or 9, depending on whether Mum comes, son is working and whether his housemate wants to come if son is working
    • All that chatter about Christmas on TOPM's diary has got me thinking. I am definitely doing recipes and ingredients in jam-jars for my fundraising stall at the beginning of December. And little books of domestic promises to give away.
    • I need to do leaflets to gather items and publicise my Village Ebay table too (we will keep 40% with a £5 minimum) done
    • I know I need to buy ingredients for 2 batches of christmas cake as my Mum, her friend and a third for her Minister are on my list, plus one for us. I shall make smaller cakes. done and five cakes made
    • Going to try and reduce the food in my freezer this month
    • Buy C cards (shhh) and write some
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Saw the new stone number on my scales this morning - I'm sure the battery is running out - it suggested I have lost two pounds. Fab if I have, but I feel sure it was going into one
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Well done on taking the mortgage below £100k.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Wow! Only five weeks to go until your early retirement enthusiasticsaver! What will you do with all that extra time?
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Today will mostly involve a round trip of 100 miles to the dentist, and then a slightly more pleasing local swap with a neighbour who has too much meat (her husband is employed to control game) with some of my frozen fruit. I just need to check to ensure I can squeeze it into the freezer!
  • Suffolk_lass
    edited 11 November 2017 at 8:11PM
    Options
    November update
    • I am starting to think about Christmas things. I have also volunteered to host some friends for New Year, which will be fun, so I need to prepare for this. Had a chat with my Mum and she wants to come for Christmas and New Year so now I need to conjur up a fourth bedroom. I need to have a bit of a think
    • I also need to find out how many I have for Christmas Day. It seems we will be 7, 8 or 9, depending on whether Mum comes, son is working and whether his housemate wants to come if son is working. I can't do more until he gets his shifts
    • All that chatter about Christmas on TOPM's diary has got me thinking. I am definitely doing recipes and ingredients in jam-jars for my fundraising stall at the beginning of December. And little books of domestic promises to give away.
    • I need to do leaflets to gather items and publicise my Village Ebay table too (we will keep 40% with a £5 minimum) done but no suggested items have been forthcoming yet
    • I know I need to buy ingredients for 2 batches of christmas cake as my Mum, her friend and a third for her Minister are on my list, plus one for us. I shall make smaller cakes. done and five cakes made
    • Going to try and reduce the food in my freezer this month Well I did a trade yesterday - two huge bags of frozen gooseberries, a bag of frozen raspberries, a string each of shallots and onions and a couple of butternut squashes - all swapped and out of my freezer. Now I have a massive haunch of venison I will save for Christmas and a second defrosting to make into casserole
    • Buy C cards (shhh) and write some

I went off to my dentist expecting to be told my remaining bit of tooth would have to go, with the prospect of an implant but he says it can be saved. I am still signed up for another £244 before Christmas but the alternative would have been over four figures!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure