INSURE & GO - wriggling out of claims

Options

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Missed Departure Covers specific situations, here is what the Insure and Go Policy Covers

http://www.insureandgo.com/travel-insurance/downloads/Standard-Policy-Wording-EA.pdf

Section G - Missed departure
    This section does not apply for trips in the UK.
    What you are covered for
    We will pay up to the amount shown in the table of benefits for
    the extra reasonable costs of travel and accommodation you need
    if you cannot reach the original departure point of your trip. This
    can be because public-transport services fail (due to poor weather
    conditions, a strike, industrial action or a mechanical breakdown)
    or the vehicle you are travelling in is involved in an accident or has
    a mechanical breakdown. (This would not include your vehicle
    running out of petrol, having a flat tyre, puncture or flat battery

(I have not included the exclusions).

What I&G cover in this section is fairly standard amongst Travel Insurers and as you can see from the above would not cover you in your situation.

If you had booked both flights through KLM they would have helped you out, the KLM employee is not qualified to advise you what is and what is not covered by you policy and it sounds like they may have miss advised you. If their advice has caused you to just buy the next flight with no regard to the cost you may have some come back with KLM but only over any excess you have paid over and above what you could have bought the flights for if you had negotiated or been prepared to wait a little extra for a cheaper flight.
  • GeorgeP_2
    Options
    My Wife & I had booked a trip back in Sept/Oct 09 (via Travel Republic) to go to a friends wedding in Rome for the 28th July 2010, then purchased travel insurance with Insure and Go in Nov 09.

Subsequently, we found out that we were expecting our first baby, with a due date of 14th July. :j

My Wife contacted Insure & Go to ask for a refund on what we had aleady paid for the trip - giving the reason of being 'Pregnant' - knowing that the due date was on the cusp of the 14 days when a newborn can travel. They refused to refund us on the basis of the 14 day rule.

My Wife didn't actually give birth until the 25th July 2010 (by emergency C-Section) so naturally assumed this changed everything with regards to our claim. So... I called Insure & Go this morning - stating what had happened, and the response which followed was an absolute disgrace - 'No, you won't get a refund because the reason now given for the claim is different to the original'????

I am outgraged!!!:mad: How does our second atempt differ from the first?

The attitude of this company, which stinks to high heaven of the highest form of capitalism with no regard for their customers'. They are basically taking our money, with no after thought whatsoever.

Can we do anything about this?
  • pamelawillsher
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm about to take insureand go to the small claims court for rejecting a legitimate claim and I was wandering whether you took any actions against them
    Thanks
    pamelawillsher
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm about to take insureand go to the small claims court for rejecting a legitimate claim and I was wandering whether you took any actions against them
    Thanks
    pamelawillsher

Could you give us more details of what the claim was for and why they are rejecting it.

It is not always the best option to take them to court, so giving us more advice would help us advise you
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    Could you give us more details of what the claim was for and why they are rejecting it.

It is not always the best option to take them to court, so giving us more advice would help us advise you

It is unlikely to be worth going to Court when FOS is available anyway.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 December 2010 at 2:45AM
    Options
    I would opt to do exactly what it says on the tin........AND GO!!! ;)

If its any consolation to your losses as a result of this company (albeit the smallest of consolations), its that your posts and experiences have helped in deterring any other potential custom with Insure and Go from those of us lucky enough to have stumbled upon this thread.

Is there anybody out there who HAS been successful with this company?
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    I would opt to do exactly what it says on the tin........AND GO!!! ;)

If its any consolation to your losses as a result of this company (albeit the smallest of consolations), its that your posts and experiences have helped in deterring any other potential custom with Insure and Go from those of us lucky enough to have stumbled upon this thread.

Is there anybody out there who HAS been successful with this company?

Yes we have,

OH got Malaria and was in hospital in Asia, first class service from Insure & Go and the hospital. :T
  • westglam
    Options
    I was going to Berlin early in December, but our flight into Berlin was cancelled due to adverse weather conditions there. I had booked and paid for the flights on my credit card (4 returns) and my friend booked and paid for the hotel on her credit card. I had the flights refunded onto my card, for which my friend and her husband were given half, but she has been unable to get a refund for us all for the hotel. Her credit card won't cover it, and her insurance have said that she can only claim for her and her husband.

That seems fair enough, and so I now have to go to our insurance INSURE & GO to put in a claim. Their website claims that my claim would have to be in within 31 days (we're one week outside of this), but we had tried to go through another channel first - causing a delay.

I can't get hold of anyone at I & Go until monday - does anyone have an experience similar to this, and what was the outcome please?
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    Yes we have,

OH got Malaria and was in hospital in Asia, first class service from Insure & Go and the hospital. :T

Me too. When my eldest injured himself on holiday, they paid out for full medical bills, including hotel doctor, private ambulance transfer, treatment in private hospital and taxi transfer back to the resort. Infact, the hospital and hotel were wonderful, and we only made one call to I&G, and were given the fax number & claim number, and the full receipt was faxed to them direct from the hospital the same day. Re-payment took about a month to arrive after we got home.
  • keys13
    Options
    Insureandgo have not improved. We were the victims of a diversionary robbery abroad and a handbag containing cash, passports, wallet, purse and valuables was stolen from within two feet of where we were standing. Total was about £1000 and we were offered £20. A number of letters and finally the Ombudsman realised a settlement reflecting true value.

We paid for protection in the form of insurance and were not only the victims of the thugs who robbed us but "white collar robbery" in the guise of Insureandgo which took a year to resolve.

I will not be falling for their advertising and am surprised that they still appear on comparison sites.:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure