looking for advice as a newbie

Options
hi there ive never posted here before but was looking for some advice if thats ok.
I currently live in my boyfriends housing association house, for the last 4 years.
I have now bought my own place for us to live in, in my name only, after we realised how much we would save on rent and be more secure in our own place. Can't wait to move but was wanting to know a few things

we have had nothing but problems with the council since we moved in, ie constant damp that has ruined our clothes and wallpaper, even though its a new build that they kept saying they were fixing then saying it was fine even though its spread like wildfire.

a few other things as well that i wont go into, however, as the housing association house is in my boyfriends name (we are both on the elctoral role) how would this stand if we didnt pay the last months rent and just moved, posting the keys back.
when he first moved in, he paid 2 months rent.

Can they do anything about this?

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Two wrongs don't make a right!

They may chase him for the payment, it may have costs added, it could go to a DCA, he may get a CCJ, his credit report could be damaged for the next 6 yrs.

Please don't believe you will have more money left when you are paying a mortgage instead of rent - the difference needs to go into an account dedicated to house maintenance & repairs - the council don't do those in your own property. You would need to pay a tradesman.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • budgetboy03
    Options
    thank you, we have thought long and hard about costs and it will save us money.

my question is as he paid 2 months rent up front when he moved in surely he is ahead now
  • Dobbibill
    Options
    It would normally be something along the lines of 1 month in advance and the equivilant of 1 month as a bond/deposit.

They should ensure he is only charged to the date of vacating the property, even if that is mid-month.

I didn't welcome you to the forum, so a belated welcome too budgetboy ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• budgetboy03
    Options
    thank you dobbibill.
    shouldnt that mean they should be giving him that deposit back then
  • Dobbibill
    Options
    thank you dobbibill.
    shouldnt that mean they should be giving him that deposit back then

Yes, assuming that is what he paid and there is no damage done by him. (wear & tear is acceptable).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family