Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Enjoy the time with Mr FS :)

Thanks Beanie :)

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    edited 4 July 2018 at 9:48PM
    Options
    More ups and downs :rotfl:

I managed to find reasonably priced house insurance through the C0-0p. Their policy allows you to have up to 2 lodgers/paying guests as standard :) It did mean I had to telephone them rather then go through the website. Meant I lost out on the on-line discount :( but I am a C0-0p member so got a larger discount on that basis :) They also have a special incentive on at the moment and I'll get £50 in C0-0p vouchers in a month's time :T

Took FDawg to see the kennels and he coped far better with a first visit than I expected :)

Got home to find that Mr F had hurt his back mid fruit cage assembly :( He managed to get in the bath only to find that there is still a leak :( It looks as though the waste seal has failed so that's another job to add to the list.

We did manage to have our day out today though :) Mr F took a walking stick and we still have some of his prescription left from when he last hurt his back so that took the edge of enough for him to manage. We had a shorter but very enjoyable day but Mr F spotted some garden furniture he "really, really liked" at a "very, very good price". I found myself talked into it :o I'm cross with myself as there are other more pressing things we need to sort out but it's done now. It'll mean less of an overpayment on the mortgage this month but he's the one who'll have to work for longer as a result so his call. We are beyond hope :o And I have to admit it was a very, very good price. Other than that we only spent a little on lunch and refreshments and it was a lovely, lovely outing. For those of you with an eye for detail, yes - we have a lot of garden furniture now :o

FDawg coped reasonably well with his kennel stay. They put him into the run when he first arrived and he was a little reluctant to come to them when it was time to go in. He did come in the end and was relaxed enough to eat his beef hide chew in the kennel. That's a very good sign because, if he is feeling anxious or scared, he won't eat it. He had a walk and a bath. I'd asked them to bath him if they felt he'd be ok with it. He's used to baths at home and quite enjoys them. I thought it would mean a little more time out and interaction for him plus he needed one ;) He smells fabulous now :)

Whilst we were letting FDawg run around the field this evening, we discovered that our gate post is completely rotted away at the base - which explains why our gate has been dragging on the ground for the last week :( And, there is a wasp nest under the eaves of the attic :( Plus, we have the quote from the electrician and it is not quite as inexpensive as we'd imagined :(

Never mind, at least I'll be able to sit in the garden on fabulous furniture whilst pondering where the money for all this is coming from :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Despite all of this, I have made an OP of £506.11 for the month :D

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Why not use that new furniture to take time to smell the roses? You are tearing ahead on so many fronts,sometimes you need a treat. I wish I could get DH interested enough to source something for our home never mind at a good price.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Excellent work there Fortune, despite your many trials! Impressed you can still make a £500 overpayment :j :j well done :money: And garden furniture is important! We only had two chairs in our old place as there was barely any space - now we have far too much space and not enough furniture :rotfl: Got a few chairs (and a tiny inadequate table just for cups of tea) near the house, but I'd love a big picnic table to eat properly out on :j

However I am far too stingy to pay for it so we'll have to wait til one turns up on Freegle :rotfl: Or make one ourselves I suppose! :rotfl:

Glad FDawg managed ok on his kennel stay, and hope Mr FS is alright!
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Why not use that new furniture to take time to smell the roses? You are tearing ahead on so many fronts,sometimes you need a treat. I wish I could get DH interested enough to source something for our home never mind at a good price.

You're quite right INOD. We'll have been here a year next week and have accomplished so much including two major projects. We are weaving in more R&R and a lot of what we're doing is one off so things should quieten down [STRIKE]soon[/STRIKE] eventually.
    Excellent work there Fortune, despite your many trials! Impressed you can still make a £500 overpayment :j :j well done :money: And garden furniture is important! We only had two chairs in our old place as there was barely any space - now we have far too much space and not enough furniture :rotfl: Got a few chairs (and a tiny inadequate table just for cups of tea) near the house, but I'd love a big picnic table to eat properly out on :j

However I am far too stingy to pay for it so we'll have to wait til one turns up on Freegle :rotfl: Or make one ourselves I suppose! :rotfl:

Glad FDawg managed ok on his kennel stay, and hope Mr FS is alright!

Mr F has been going on about getting some "nice" garden furniture for years so at least he'll be happy now. The trouble is, like you, we now have space for quite a lot of it so I hope this doesn't become his new obsession :rotfl: FB's Marketplace is a great place to look for stuff Cheery - lots of bargains to be had.

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Mr F and I spent all day putting the fruit cage up yesterday. His back was still a bit sore so he directed and I did most of the grunt work. And it definitely was grunt work - with all my huffing and puffing and groaning it must have sounded just like centre court at Wimbledon in our veg patch. It didn't help that we chose to drive steel pools into the ground after it had been baked for days and days by the hot sun. Nor that the fruit trees and bushes are in full foliage and, almost, full fruit. I was scratched and stung and dirty from head to foot by the time we'd finished. However, it is done now and looks great. We may even get some fruit for ourselves this year :D Although I'm not sure whether the cage is designed to keep the birds in or out. When we took FDawg for his walk this morning, there were three little birds flitting around inside. We think they were Chiffchaffs. We let them out and are hoping that they sneaked in when we left the door open yesterday evening and we trapped them inside when we closed up. We'll have to see whether they are in there again tomorrow. Mr and Mrs Blackbird were the main fruit thieves and they definitely can't get in. They have been flying up and down the veg patch complaining that we've deprived them of the raspberries :rotfl:

Meals have been a little neglected of late - we've just been going for what's quickest and most convenient. Although I did manage to rustle up a Warm New Potato Salad with Bacon & Blue Cheese last night.

Today I plan to get a few small chores out of the way and then spend the day painting. I need to concentrate on getting the WI painting finished otherwise I'm going to run out of time to get it framed.

Tonight we are going back to the music festival for an evening concert. Should be a great night.

It's Friday peeps :T Enjoy your weekend.

Fortune x
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy Friday!!!:j

Well done on completing the hard graft job - hope you had a long soak with some bath salts to ease the aches afterwards.

Fortune that recipe is what dreams are made of! Mushrooms, bacon, blue cheese all in one dish - OH will be trailing this chez nous very soon!:D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    500 is still an awesome awesome repayment.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    We may be bird whisperers :rotfl: Five chiffchaffs in the fruit cage this morning :eek: Mr F has made reinforcements so we shall see if there are any there this morning.

We have saved enough of the raspberries to have some with ice cream, some with granola for breakfast and some with cream :D It seems chiffchaffs prefer redcurrants so I'm not sure we'll be able to save any of those.

I had a day off from chores yesterday to concentrate on the WI painting. It's two thirds finished now :T I am hoping to finish it on Monday so I can take it to the meeting in the evening.

Another day off is planned today. We are taking lodger and boyfriend out for Sunday lunch as a thank you for the work he did for us. Costs will be met from the ground works budget.

Electrician has contacted us again saying he forgot that we could pay cash for the work and he'll give us a 20% discount if that's the case. So, it's likely we'll have enough in the budget for both the ground and electrical works. Our front gate is due to fall over any minute though so I might have to re-prioritise some of the jobs.

It seems that this week is a week for good news. I've been contacted by a publisher who wants to buy one of my short stories :j:j:j Sooooo excited.

Enjoy your sunny Sunday peeps.

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    Happy Friday!!!:j

Well done on completing the hard graft job - hope you had a long soak with some bath salts to ease the aches afterwards.

Fortune that recipe is what dreams are made of! Mushrooms, bacon, blue cheese all in one dish - OH will be trailing this chez nous very soon!:D

A long soak would have been lovely RT, if only our bath wasn't leaking :rotfl: A nice hot shower had to suffice.

I've been trying out a lot of salad recipes this week. The Salmon & Brown Rice one got a thumbs down from Mr F because he's not a fan of cucumber and it needed about three times the dressing in the recipe. Halloumi with Lentil Salad was a hit.
    beanielou wrote: »
    500 is still an awesome awesome repayment.

You're right Beanie and we have had to pay out for house insurance this month too along with quite a few social events :o We will have to up our game though if Mr F is to retire any time this century :rotfl:

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback