PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with leftover bits of cheese?

Options

Comments

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Spanakopita! Tyropita!

You what? Did you just accidentally drop a Scrabble set? :p

*wanders off to read about foreign stuff* :whistle:
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    Feta is WONDERFUL cubed and combined with ANO hard cheese (also cubed - eg halloumi or cheddar) and chopped, drained spinach (frozen is fine), diced onion and nutmeg. Roll out some puff pastry, turn up the edges one inch all round so you have a sort of "tray", spread the cheese and spinach mix over it Sprinkle grated parmesan over the top. Then beat two eggs with a little milk and some pepper and salt, and pour over the top. Bake 20 mins in a hot oven (gas 6) until the pastry is risen and golden and the pie "set". Trust me - this is scrum.
  • Ladyhawk
    Ladyhawk Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    Options
    What about chicken breasts stuffed with spinach and feta and wrapped in bacon?
    Man plans and God laughs...
    Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    I haven't got any pastry. Or spinach.

I only really like spinach in Indian food, e.g. sag paneer. But having said that, perhaps I should be a bit more adventurous. It's my own fault, I couldn't resist buying it. :p

I like the sound of the chicken breasts better, Ladyhawk. :)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Can you get fresh spinach at this time of year? I only ask because my (tiny) freezer really is rammed. :o
  • BlimusOreilly
    Options
    Cube the feta (or better still a mixture of the three) and bake in half a red pepper with basil and breadcrumbs on top and drizzle with some olive oil. Delicious!
    The best type of pepper to use is the long sweet red peppers, but they are quite pricey.
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300

• mrbadexample
    Options
    Cube the feta (or better still a mixture of the three) and bake in half a red pepper with basil and breadcrumbs on top and drizzle with some olive oil. Delicious!
    The best type of pepper to use is the long sweet red peppers, but they are quite pricey.

That sounds nice. What temperature do you bake it at?
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Options
    Hi MBE,

Yes, Tesco sell it in bags year round. Not sure about Morrisons (I recall that's where you shop?)

Feta is fairly salty, so be careful with your side dishes if you have feta AND bacon :)

PGxx
  • BlimusOreilly
    Options
    That sounds nice. What temperature do you bake it at?

At about 180 - for about 20 mins. I don't usually time it though (as I always forget) so end up checking to see if it looks melty and just browning on top.
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    i like feta crumbled over a hm lamb burger, melted just a bit in the grill and then tucked into a bun with salad :)

brie can make a wonderful tart btw, bought puff pastry, rolled out, brushed with some pesto (red or green) slice of brie and tomoato and fresh basil leaves, then baked til pastry golden and cheese goooooooooooeeey

ioiwe :)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure