Money Moral Dilemma: Should I have refused to pay again for my shopping?

Options

Comments

• margaret_eyles
    Options
    Dial 999 & ask for urgent Police assistance ?? I fail to see the life threatening situation here - it’s not a Police matter it’s a civil matter & you could be in trouble for wasting police time. Sounds like you spend a lot of time complaining !
  • ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kudos for beta testing this new technology. Personally I'll stick to more reliable methods such as physical cash, or actual credit card with paper receipt until they get this new fanged stuff working to my satisfaction (i.e. never).
  • mxxx
    mxxx Posts: 100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pay a human being with cash and get a receipt, you can't go wrong. Don't support this way of paying, then you won't have the problem.
    I see a few people suggesting this, while it's true it does often take longer to use an actual checkout cashier and I can only see it's going to get worse as time goes on because more and more places will be pushing people to self service to save costs/maximise profits. While I don't agree with it I don't think we can stop the inevitable.
  • foolsgold77
    Options
    Is it really worth kicking up a fuss, grow up.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    geemac_one wrote: »
    You were right to pay again. If the store had no record of you having paid and you left the store, you could have been accused of shoplifting. Pay with a more reliable means next time!
    Wouldn't the proof of payment - from 2 different sources - be sufficient record of payment?
    I paid for lunch at a supermarket self-service till by scanning its payment app, so it automatically charges my credit card and awards me loyalty points. I got the usual instant notifications (from that app and my credit card app) that the payment went through - but the till said it didn't. I alerted staff who insisted I pay again and told me I'd get an automatic refund if there was a double charge. I paid again, but should I have kicked up more of a fuss?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Wouldn't the proof of payment - from 2 different sources - be sufficient record of payment?
    A notification from that shop's app should bear more weight than one from the credit card / bank app but it doesn't mean that the shop manager would be able to confirm it (in terms of having the access or the authority to accept or even knowledge of such an app).
    tgroom57 wrote: »
    My grandson paid for something at a self-service till, and it said he was £1 short of the amount, even though we knew he'd put the full amount in. he never did get that refund because it was a cash transaction/he was a kid and kids aren't customers / the staff weren't watching. (Tesco)
    Dodgy pound coin that the till didn't recognise? No way to prove it without getting the till opened and checked and you're right, staff are not likely to do that for a young person.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    mxxx wrote: »
    I find it staggering how so many people have such different opinions but all state them almost as fact, like 'how could you possibly consider any alternative way of dealing with this?'. Guess that's just how the internet is these days, been a long time since I got involved in a forum thread...

If I could agree a trillion times I would

It does my head in
    With love, POSR <3
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    shirley999 wrote: »
    I was chased out of Frankie and Benny’s after paying on their app and like you ended up paying twice. I ended up with a £30 goodwill gesture for the embarrassment caused and never saw the staff member involved again.

Oh no. How badly behaved was the staff member? Did they get sacked for making a simple admin error?

Aside, I think F&B has really changed - used to go regularly until about five years ago
    With love, POSR <3
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    A notification from that shop's app should bear more weight than one from the credit card / bank app but it doesn't mean that the shop manager would be able to confirm it (in terms of having the access or the authority to accept or even knowledge of such an app).

Couldn't the originator of this 'dilemma' show the transaction on the shop's app?
    TBH, I don't know a lot about this as I either pay by credit card or in cash.

I was responding to the poster who made the point that the purchaser leaving the shop could have been accused of shoplifting if the shop had no record of the transaction.
  • chimneyman
    Options
    No system of payment is perfect. If you always pay by cash, then you always run the risk of dropping a tenner on the floor or being short-changed or having your pocket picked etc etc. If you always pay by card, then you will always run the risk of suffering some kind of system failure.

My own experience is that, as often as not, system failures work in my favour. Shop floor staff are genuinely powerless and kicking up a fuss at the point of sale just creates bad feeling and wastes everybody's time. But an online complaint often leads to some kind of compensation.

I always pay by credit card rather than debit card because it allows a bit of time for system failures to sort themselves out before I have to hand over the money. But I always take a receipt and I always keep them and check them against my statement.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback