PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a portion of chilli/rice. Then I had two bits of toast topped with chocolate spread. That's been it for today.

The phrase "eating out" means different things to different people. I've never been to "a smart restaurant" ever... where "smart" could even mean something like TGI Fridays or Nandos :) I really doubt I ever will go to a "posh place", especially as food served becomes further and further away from anything I'd like. All this modern stuff's not to my liking.

2-3x a year I'll have a £6 pub meal of fish/chips or pie/chips - that's "eating out" to me. I pushed the boat out a couple of months back and had a £9 Sunday roast dinner while I was away ... that was nice enough ... I prefer carveries though where you can pick what you want and where it is on the plate.
    Tbh if I enjoy it and it's well cooked and tasty I couldn't care less if it is "high end" or "cheap and cheerful".;) What I hate is overpriced "pinged" food where you are paying for the "experience" :mad:pretending to be a decent meal. Weatherspoons I'll happily eat in one (fishcakes for me please):) - you know what you're getting and the price reflects that but some of the other chains well no I'm not paying that for something brought by Brake Bros etc, nuked and served at several 100 times the purchase cost, I'd much rather just "ping"/pop in the oven a pre-prepped meal at home.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I'd second the investment in the "Every Day Veg" book, I like HFW recipes- very forgiving if (like me) you like to tweak things. My favourite "Hugh" book is "River Cottage Every Day" (that one's pretty smudged and tattered) especially for the "baked chicken curry" which is truly fab:D

But I don't need any more cookery books :D

not that I've ever let that stop me she says just popping off to amazon to check River Cottage Every Day :rotfl::rotfl: I'm like you I like to tweak especially if I'm missing any ingredients :D

Do you know if you can freeze LO ricotta?

PN any time you don't have to cook and aren't eating at home is eating out, that includes chips at the beach :D
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Brambling
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Tbh if I enjoy it and it's well cooked and tasty I couldn't care less if it is "high end" or "cheap and cheerful".;) What I hate is overpriced "pinged" food where you are paying for the "experience" :mad:pretending to be a decent meal. Weatherspoons I'll happily eat in one (fishcakes for me please):) - you know what you're getting and the price reflects that but some of the other chains well no I'm not paying that for something brought by Brake Bros etc, nuked and served at several 100 times the purchase cost, I'd much rather just "ping"/pop in the oven a pre-prepped meal at home.

Or like I overheard in a pub near me 'no you can't have the beef without gravy, it comes with it in the bag' :cool:
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    Do you know if you can freeze LO ricotta?

/QUOTE]
    Yep you can - it goes a bit grainy but is fine in cooked dishes though I wouldn't use it uncooked. I always have (at least) one tub in the freezer.
    PS- I consider my cookbook collection as a "hobby" some folk spend loads on collecting stamps or cross stitch etc. so I justify it to myself as a social activity ( and it means you are never stuck for something to read:cool:) :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Brambling
    Options
    Thanks Caronc

I may steal your cookery book excuse as my own
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

It's raining again (and if you are of a certain age you can probably sing along to that phrase:rotfl:)
    Breakfast (not in America;)) was the usual toast & fruit. Tonight involves some sort of concoction involving pork chunks, "spare" peppercorn sauce from Sunday and various veg. Lunch will either be the remaining halloumi skewers or a corned beef. Apart from what I'm likely to be putting in my tummy I've no idea what my plans for today are yet!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Overcast here, some blue sky, the occasional sighting of sun for 2 minutes .. and a tiny breeze. Managed to work up the energy to mow the lawn.

I've had chilli and rice today. I had what looked like two portions, so weighed it and scooped out half (360grams) and it was about right... served with basmati, I just made one portion of that.

Just one chilli portion left to eat.... there are also the final 2 sausage rolls sitting in the pack that I bought on Saturday, I might have those later.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Dark, damp and drizzling all day today but not cold.
    Ventured out to the library as I was running out of books to read which would never do, especially looking at the wet forecast for the rest of the week.
    My Dad came by and "liberated" a cucumber & good portion of the blackberries. Just as well I had roasted most of the tomatoes or they would have been away as well:rotfl::rotfl:
    Mortgage account shennagins are still not sorted out :mad:, I'll see if the BS call me tomorrow and if not I will be making a formal complaint!
    Did a bit of financial jiggery with my savings which felt fairly satisfying. I've decided to spend an afternoon each month checking that I'm getting the best deal on my precious reserves:).
    I had a halloumi skewer & the rest of the yoghurt dip with a small pitta for lunch. There's a skewer left which may well end up on a piece of toast for breakfast tomorrow, otherwise I'll freeze it.
    I've defrosted a lurking portion of pork fillet (frozen in 2016:o) that had got overlooked. I had vac packed it so it was well preserved. I'll slice it in medallions, flash fry and have with various veg, new tatties and peppercorn sauce. I'll cook extra tatties & green beans for Salad Nicoise tomorrow when my Dad is coming for lunch. I forgot to turn the roasted toms into passatta but don't think I cba now so that'll be a job for another day. :)
  • Brambling
    Options
    Hopefully you're get someone who can help you at the BS tomorrow Caronc sometimes I miss the old fashion way of speaking to someone face to face, however I know that isn't ideal for you.

I came home for the third night running to find my kitchen and dining room windows full of flies :eek: :mad: no idea where they are coming from quite a few are going out when I open the windows the rest are meeting a sticky end with a rolled newspaper. I'm just a little stressed over it.

I've cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom tonight which wasn't what I planned and realised I now have a wet floor and dinner is in the fridge :cool: I also cleaned the windows to remove the signs of death and washed the voile curtains when I was at it. I couldn't find anything to cause it, Cat will be fed dry food for breakfast tomorrow and I'm going to put pot plants outside, two pots of herbs went in bin yesterday just in case. I fear they are hatching indoors but I have no idea where from :(

So I'm currently hungry and kn*ckered, I don't fancy the bream I got for tea but if I don't eat the fillets they will need throwing away, so just going to check floor :) no plans for a proper dinner now, typically I have no LO veg or new potatoes :cool:

Lunch was prawn salad
  • caronc
    Options
    Yuk re the flies Brambling - has one of your moggies hidden something? When my younger son was still at home we had a nasty ongoing "fly epsidode" that eventually revealed itself to be a backpack containg a "forgotten" tub of fishing maggots:eek::eek:
    BS situation is a real PITA though in fairness the poor chap who is dealing with it seems to be doing his best - his frustration at not having the access to sort it out is almost tangible:cool:

PS - S@d the wet floor it will need mopped again anyway and cook the bream. Too good to waste :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback