ESE Solar Panel Free Health Check

Options

Comments

• PoppysPal
    PoppysPal Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    A company similar to this one mailed me a couple of years ago with the same "warning". I was almost taken in, but fortunately, googled it and got numerous warnings from other people who had been targeted. It is most definitely a scam; DO NOT get taken in. They are simply out to make money from unwary people by telling them that work needs to be done to fix "problems" with their solar panel system. There are more likely to be problems if anyone allows this company near their panels.
  • hazbo
    hazbo Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I have just reserved a letter from a BT SOLAR LTD. With
    the same wording and I think like you. It's a scam. I will not be calling them at 08000472985 free phone no or not. If your solar system needs
    attention find a reputable company in your area.
  • hazbo
    hazbo Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I have just received a letter from a BT SOLAR LTD with the same wording. Offering a free health check on my system.Hoping I will
    be daft enough to call them on 08000472985 I wasn't born yesterday.
    Scammers!:j
  • snilloct1957
    snilloct1957 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    hazbo wrote: »
    I have just received a letter from a BT SOLAR LTD with the same wording. Offering a free health check on my system.Hoping I will
    be daft enough to call them on 08000472985 I wasn't born yesterday.
    Scammers!:j

Thank you for your useful contribution. If you like, you can post their phone number on who-called.co.uk and warn others of their scam.
  • cckathmandu
    Options
    Has anyone received a call from a company called Genmar? My mother says she received a call from them today about a free health check for her solar panels. Her panels were installed by My Planet which later went bust I believe, and the man who called her seemed to know (or guess?) that her panels were installed by My Planet. He said they took over the insurance/warranty from My Planet, he mentioned something about HIES, & said this policy would expire without a 'health check', which would be free.

All sounds very fishy to me, but my mother agreed for someone to come and they are supposedly coming to look at the panels in a couple of days. I see there are loads of scams along these lines. I can't find anything online about GENMAR (odd in itself)
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Not heard of them but why would anyone invite a cold calling firm round, whatever reason they give? I would advise mother to be very cautious as the whole concept of health checks is nonsense. Personally I would cancel the appointment and not let them anywhere near my propoerty
  • snilloct1957
    snilloct1957 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2019 at 12:42PM
    Options
    The fact that Genmar are offering "a free health check", a ploy used by ESE and others to gain access to an OP's home raises a big question mark as to their intentions and reasons for doing so. I would give this company a very wide berth and do more checks online before committing to anything they offer. Do you have a phone number for them? Run it through an online search engine and see if anybody else has received a phone call. Have the MCS or Gemserve any info?

Update:- I've sent an email to Gemserve, asking if they have any info on this outfit, will post here when I get a reply.
  • be2st
    be2st Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I've just received the same letter. Luckily I checked this thread first.
  • cckathmandu
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I advised my mum to cancel the appointment and she did so when they called again today to confirm their visit.
    She initially agreed to the visit I think because she is worried the panels are supposed to be checked once in a while (my dad recently passed away and he used to take care of all this stuff) and she is worried because the installers are no longer in business. I am reassured to hear you say 'the whole concept of health checks is nonsense' - I told her that if the panels are working fine then best to leave alone. She has no phone number for the company that called unfortunately.
  • Intolerant_Goth
    Options
    Also received a letter claiming to be BTSA (British Trading Solar Association) addressed to the Howeowner.
    Yellow warning symbol :exclamati followed by IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Dear Homeowner

Re: Your Solar PV System

We are writing to you with important information regarding your solar panels system

Our records indicate that you have not received your free health check and service on your system and your warranty may be due to expire.

Almost all inverters that have been installed during the last 7 years had a 5 year warranty as standard. This means that a significant proportion of those solar installations in the UK have now expired.

Please contact our booking team free of charge to validate your warranty and book your Health Check, quoting your barcode reference number above. (on 0800 0472985 and reference number 780201)

If you received Free solar panels through a 3rd party lease agreement or part of a housing association scheme please accept our apologies and disregard this letter.

In a red panel at the bottom of the page:
    BT SOLAR LTD
    Unit 107a Goodlass Road, L24 9HJ
    Company No. 11249569
    mail@britishtradingsolarassociation.co.uk

The British Standard of Solar with a British lion logo in white.

After reading the other contributors posts it has confirmed my suspicions that this letter is a scam. I will have a look at links above regarding reporting this scam. Thanks everyone. :T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback