SKI-er or Sk-ater. We know how to enjoy ourselves

Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Merrywidow wrote: »
    Hi there seven-day-weekend - I bet you are cheesed off with this weather and will be glad to get back. How long is the drive from Bilbao to your mountain?

I skated from Paris to Saltzburg a year ago, first class, single sleeper - never saw a soul bar the carriage steward. He brought my meals on a tray and even a drink - heaven. It was just one of those things you have to do at least once. Money is round so it can roll - old Dutch saying. Bon voyage.

This sounds wonderful and when I get my State Pension in January 2010, some of it it is earmarked for rail and bus journeys (although the bus journeys in the UK will be free!).

Love the Dutch saying!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi 7DW

Looks like we got off the boat you got on once again. We came back to the UK landing tea time Thursday. We had booked an outside cabin, got one on deck 6, one side was a settee which turned into a single bed, and the other just a single bed, it was fine. Don't know if this was a std outside or an upgrade. Pride of Bilbao.

To be honest, found the trip a bit boring, don't do sitting doing nothing very well, especially with no internet to keep me occupied. Entertainment at night was good, but the day to land at 5 pm seemed to go on and on.

When we come back in September it will be via France.

DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • Merrywidow
    Merrywidow Posts: 766 Forumite
    Options
    Hi to the both of you..welcome back. I have been up to my armpits with a family visit, hubby's brother and two small kids from Holland - love them to bits but it was Oh so exhausting. Trying to organise a get away for a holiday but my mother is in free fall and quite hysterical. Truly her imagination would rate an episode of the X files. Very angry with the NHS. She was taken into hospital in sorry state and they were going to do a CAT scan to check on her breast cancer and the difficulty she has with swallowing. Guess what, they did nothing and sent her home claiming a urine infection. Guess they dont bother anymore when they are 95. I digress on this Ski and Skater page. Donny Gal, I still plan to be your way in September but I cant book till I see how Mum goes on.

7DW - I just love train journeys. When I was in Oz 2 years ago, my old friend and I took the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Adelaide and transferred to the Ghan for the 3 day trip to Darwin via Alice Springs and Broken Hill. An absolute dream of a trip and I was loath to get off. Its got to be Gold Kangaroo class (1st) Double bedrooms, en suite, fantastic food - heaven. It was something I had dreamed of for years and when my friend said she wanted to do it we went for it. Mego bucks but worth every cent. Even the 45 C temperatures didnt put me off. Happy days. More soon.
    member # 12 of Skaters Club
    Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
    You grow old because you stop laughing
    :D
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Thought it was time this was bumped!!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Merrywidow
    Options
    Ok so you bumped - why not tell us how lovely and sunny it is up your mountain, so we can close our eyes and imagine the warmth on our bodies. This rain is unbelievable, had to leave me office !!! conservatory last evening as it was too B.......y noisy with the sound of the rain on the roof. Hope when I go ska-ting off to Galicia on the 1st October I don't run into any there. You will hear the screams of frustration resonating around your mountain - I can promise you that. Do you like shellfish? what shall I eat for you when I am there - just say the word! Crab and oysters are my biggest weakness, mussels next and there will be a few things I havnt seen or tried before - yummy - can't wait.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Right....OK!

Today has been fine and sunny but not too hot here at 1000 metres (about the height of Snowdon) above sea level. In other words, comfortable. This evening it went what we call cool, but it just meant I had short sleeves instead of no sleeves.

Don't like shellfish all that much, by the time you get the shells off they never seem worth the effort! However, people in all parts of Spain love shellfish and fish, especially bacalao (dried cod) which seems odd really as cod is only found in cold northern waters.

I do like tuna, which is really popular here, and I am getting used to having fish with heads and tails on (and sometimes with mouth gaping and teeth showing) for my tapas.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Fiesta. I read somewhere that a Fiesta is just an excuse for Spaniards to join together in big noisy groups, which they love. When I first came to live here, I thought they were arguing with each other, but no - that's just called Spaniards having a conversation.

Enjoy your time in Galicia and keep us posted.

We are going to SKI to Portugal soon, to Praia de Luz (where poor little Madeleine disappeared) to visit friends who have a B&B there.

They used to have a greasy spoon near Birmingham, a really good one that we went to quite often for breakfast, so we are just going to turn up and say 'three bacon, two eggs, fried bread....'. Hopefully they will oblige!

We will drive and stay overnight in Sevilla , which is a city we have never visited.

Will keep you posted!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • Merrywidow
    Options
    Actually I saw the whole Galicia fiesta thing on a Rick Stein cooking/travel programme when he visited O Grove. It looked a real hoot and that always stuck in my mind. I don't like Tuna tho.

That driving thing is also something I am willing myself to conquer. It would be so much easier if I could take the car but I have memories of hubby driving in Spain years ago and it was all hooting and chaos and the thought puts me off. I will have to take the plunge soon - not yet!
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Most of the roads in our part of Spain are excellent and relatively traffic-free.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I adore fish and/or shellfish. Luckily there are great fish counters in the supermarkets local to us, in addition, a restaurant/cafe near us, Spanish owned but caters for all, do a fish platter, I can say the Spanish name, but not spell it but something like parayalla, they used for same word for mixed grill to so maybe you can help me out 7DW. They charge 15€ for it but it is served on a foot square glass plate, and it is totally full of fish and shellfish. Sometimes they put lettuce under it, and other than the lemon it is served with (and the wipe and spare plate) that is it, and you struggle to eat it all.

I drive in Spain MW and it is OK. Sometimes they come a bit close behind you, but I just carry on and if the road is wide enough pull to the side to let them overtake easily. They have changed some of the laws recently and are not harder on speeding and especially Drink-Driving. If you hire a car out there you just have to remember you need to be in the middle of the road, within the car that is, and if you take a UK car out there you have to hog the curb. The only time I get confused is a week or two later in the UK, when I have to think for a moment.

We are driving down via France so will have some practice.
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    >>parayalla

Is it parilla (or possibly paradilla)?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure