PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,327 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    marns wrote: »
    So I'll be making a boozy trifle and I had thought cake pops as I have some buttercream left over too. I personally don't have a sweet tooth and I'm not keen on them but I thought I could sell them to raise money for the charity I work for......Does anyone have any other ideas for left over cake???

Cake pops sound good. You could always freeze them without a coating on and use them as and when you need them.

What is leftover cake??? ;)

:rotfl: My thoughts exactly!!
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £92,275.21 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £100 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £79.56 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I left some butter out of the fridge. It's gone rancid. Is there any way of saving it?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Re the cabbage I wrap cabbage white, sweetheart or ordinary in tinfoil and put it in the salad drawer at the bottom of my fridge and it will keep very well for a good couple of weeks. At the moment I have a head of broccoli wrapped in foil in there and half of a sweetheart cabbage I also wrap celery in tinfoil and it keeps it fresh and unbendy for as long as its needed.

Re the rancid butter personally I would bin it as I can't think of anything I would want to make with rancid butter ,the smell alone would make me queasy

Had a good haul of Y/S fruit and veg this afternoon at the SM, place was almost empty because of the football :):) First food shop of this month and only spent £13.48 and my fridge is full up

JackieO xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Freezer diving (OH yes please in this heat) for main meal foods today, I know I've some nice veggie things in there and it will probably be spicy bean burgers with the last of the jacket potatoes and a salad that is cabbage based and involves courgettes because that's what I have available in the garden. Blackberries are ripening beautifully in this weather and we had a bowl full each with fat free yoghurt for pudding after lunch and they were delicious so I'm hoping for a repeat today.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yum there is nothing nicer than foraging for blackberries and swishing round a bowl of vanilla ice cream Mrs LW, its one of life's pleasures on a hot sunny day in the UK.

My DGS usually help out picking them for me as we always look for the ones higher up the bushes (dogs you know :))

Right time for some coffee methinks

Cheers chums have a great day

JackieO xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We've got two whopping bushes of thornless blackberries that span the back garden fence and the berries are huge, grape sized things and lovely and sweet when they're fully ripe.

Slight change to lunch as I've made a dish from HFWs Three Good Things book which is the courgette, pasta and mozzarella bake to use up the courgettes (well, some of them) and cooked the runner beans German style with some Bohnenkraut (winter savoury to us) and dressed with a simple French dressing they will make a nice salad to accompany it. Picked the blackberries, the last of the loganberries and some ripe redcurrants too this morning and also the first Sungold tomatoes from the greenhouse!
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Hi there everyone,

:o:cry: sorry to report that after two days back from holiday I discovered that the fridge temperature was on its lowest setting (must have put too much in & moved the temp setting :( ) so I have had to bin the following (after resetting the temperature to very cold)

Three four pint cartons of milk, four large lumps of cheese (I don’t have a problem cutting off green/blue bits but never risk eating furry cheese :o ), a tub of furry Philadelphia, a pot of potato salad & a packet of furry ham:(.
    Oh the waste of both food & money & I haven’t checked all the glass jars or the butter yet :eek: I must do that today & also give the fridge it’s 2nd thorough clean in a month! I will chalk it up to a costly experience which has made me paranoid about checking the temperature every time I open the fridge door:eek::eek:
    However, one good thing - the garage is slightly emptier so although the motorbike still won’t fit (Dsis’s Furniture from France) the old fridge/freezer was restarted yesterday so I will have plenty of space to reorganise both the fridge & freezer. I can then menu plan properly & also start batch cooking when the hot weather becomes a distant memory:rotfl:

So from a very sorry & chastened LFHWr, I will wish you good bye

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh RATS! could have happened to any one of us though love xxx.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks MrsL
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have been buying a lot of the nectarines which have variously been on offer at supermarkets recently and have found a use for the red netting over the plastic container. If you cut off one end you end up with a little 'hat' with very stretchy properties. I have been putting them over seedlings which I am moving outside of the greenhouse and it keeps off both birds and butterflies. Even if you don't grow your own, you probably know someone who does....

I use them to make bath scrubbies. And the orange ones (a bit rougher texture) make good dish scrubbers.
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I left some butter out of the fridge. It's gone rancid. Is there any way of saving it?

Eeewww no :eek: just bin it.

Much as I love this hot weather, it's hard work thinking of what to make for meals that don't need a lot of cooking. We've had salads galore, stir-frys, pasta meals, sometimes just sandwiches, jacket spuds with toppings, omelettes, fresh fruit, jelly & fruit etc etc and it's made me realise a lot of the stuff in the freezer is geared to cold weather meals. No wonder it's taking a long time to empty! ;)

Today we're having cottage pie, peas & pickled red cabbage. Meat base done yesterday in the sc, mash done this morning, now assembled and ready for mw tonight. DH did the market shop on Friday and came back with 1lb of fresh peas. We podded them this morning and yes, we did nibble on a few raw. :D Brought back childhood memories of sitting on the back doorstep with a huge paper bag of the things and a bowl that seemed to take an eternity to fill. :):):)

I've found a recipe for pea & lettuce soup so tomorrow I'll dispense with the pods that way and it will also take care of some lettuce that's gone a bit past its best. Not done it before but always willing to try something new! ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure