PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Random thought/question...

Ladies, do you pay any attention to the number of sheets of loo roll you grab for just a wee?

I've, on many occasions heard women unraveling, what sounds like, reams of paper unnecessarily. (When they're not paying for it mind!!)

That'd be me, trying to find the end of the blasted roll, endlessly turning the toilet paper over in the dispenser. Why is it so difficult to take hold of the end?:rotfl:

Seriously, as pamdish mentioned, the amount of toilet paper a woman will use is frequently dependent on ply. Nobody wants it to give way beneath their fingers. :eek:

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Snowy_Owl
    Snowy_Owl Posts: 454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gentlepurr wrote: »
    Use the lids from the tinned coffee such as Millicano or Azura to cover your wine glass in the garden, - saves the flies from drinking it!! xx

I use the lids to put my bottle of oil on (sits on the counter worktop beside the oven) - saves annoying oil marks and extra cleaning!
    :j I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe :j
  • Julio72
    Julio72 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    This just reminds me of my mum putting water in the washing up liquid to make it last twice as long
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To really get the last bit of laundry liquid out of the bottle: after putting it upside down and emptying it that way, I throw the bottle and its lid in the machine with the laundry.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    To really get the last bit of laundry liquid out of the bottle: after putting it upside down and emptying it that way, I throw the bottle and its lid in the machine with the laundry.

I find a splash of warm water, a good shake and then leaving the container upside down ready for the next wash does the trick!

I find there is is enough toothpaste concealed in the neck of the tube to provide another week's worth if you squeeze it out carefully. INteresting how the TV adverts/marketing people always show a lady with the immaculate white teeth squeezing a whole row of toothpaste across a toothbrush to encourage people to do the same. My dentist told me that you only need to squeeze out a blob the size of a pea. The secret is in the thorough brushing right down to the gum line.

Over the years of your life, thats a lot of extra unnecessary expensive toothpaste consumed!
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I find there is is enough toothpaste concealed in the neck of the tube to provide another week's worth if you squeeze it out carefully. INteresting how the TV adverts/marketing people always show a lady with the immaculate white teeth squeezing a whole row of toothpaste across a toothbrush to encourage people to do the same. My dentist told me that you only need to squeeze out a blob the size of a pea. The secret is in the thorough brushing right down to the gum line.

Over the years of your life, thats a lot of extra unnecessary expensive toothpaste consumed!

If you cut the tube open (straight across, at about 1/3 of its height) you will find even more toothpaste :) The top part can function as a lid, maybe with small snips in the side to make it easier to slide the top part over the bottom part. This tip works for all pastes in a plastic tube :)
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is there anything more frustrating in life than a bottle designed so you cannot stand it on its head to get the last bit out!!

Unless of course you wedge it up against something else!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Is there anything more frustrating in life than a bottle designed so you cannot stand it on its head to get the last bit out!!

Unless of course you wedge it up against something else!!

Yes, there is. Although the difference may be marginal.

We have the hardest water in the UK, so every tap in the house suffers from huge amounts of limescale around the opening. To descale the kitchen tap, I put a bit of heavy duty limescale remover* into the bottom of a plastic container, balanced that on an upturned glass and left it for a few hours. Result: no limescale, tap looks like new.

I can't do that for the taps over the bathrooms sink because the sink slopes too much. This morning, I was trying to figure out how I could tie a container onto taps because everything I've applied to those taps just hasn't removed all the limescale. (At one point, I applied limescale remover every morning before work.)

The tap over the bathtub is designed in such a way, that I can't even attempt to rig up something to soak it with descaler.

- Pip

* Thick, bleach based, toilet cleaner.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pip
    I soak cotton wool or pads in the liquid and secure it to the tap using clingfilm and an elastic band, worth a try...
  • Working_Mum
    Options
    Hey Pipney,
    I splosh limescale remover into a plastic bag with a swab of cotton wool at the bottom and use an elastic band to catch it to the top of the taps for my oddly shaped sink in my en-suite! It's the only way I can stop them furring up too much!
    I hate limescale :-)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure