PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    NJ200 wrote: »
    I'm still working my way through all the posts in this forum, which is taking way longer than I expected!!... I decided to skip ahead and share some of my ideas, so here they are:

6. Check if your local library has an app for borrowing ebooks and audio books... saves a fortune on audiobook subscriptions but also saves petrol and parking going to the library to borrow a physical book.
    Just to add most public libraries are part of e-resource consortia so will probably provide you with access to e-newspapers and e-magazines via Press Reader https://www.pressreader.com/catalog . Click on Sign-In (TRHS) and click Library or Group to see if your library is listed. Doesn't include The Times Group newspapers but most of the other UK and other newspapers.
    Also available as an App

I like crosswords so use it to custom print or use Snipping Tool to save on paper and print.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Random thought/question...

Ladies, do you pay any attention to the number of sheets of loo roll you grab for just a wee?

I've, on many occasions heard women unraveling, what sounds like, reams of paper unnecessarily. (When they're not paying for it mind!!)

On conducting an experiment, 4 sheets is all that is required (folded in half then in thirds, giving 6 layers of tissue.)

If you're mindlessly using more than you need...then that's a quick win on the pennies front!!

Save a penny whilst spending a penny!!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    My tip-du-jour is that I use permanent marker to write the date on the bottle/package whenever I start new makeup or toiletries. When I open the next bottle, I also mark on it how long the previous one lasted. That way, I'll know when I'm running short and need to buy a replacement.

- Pip

I used to do this too, but it very quickly became apparent that I had such large stockpiles that it was something I would rather not know. I have only bought toothpaste and brush heads over the last year - everything else has come from supplies.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 August 2019 at 5:14PM
    Options
    I keep a small compost crock in the kitchen for veg peelings which are destined for the compost heap and in the past have lined the base of the crock with a couple of sheets of kitchen towel to soak up the drips and stop the bottom going mushy.

I,ve lost count of how many rolls of towel I must have paid for and wasted in this way over the years so one of my "odd moments jobs" from now on is to cut up squares of absorbent newspaper for this base liner which are destined for the recycling box anyway.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NJ200 wrote: »
    I now use hankerchiefs instead of tissues
    That is simply unhygienic.

I find it cheaper to use loo roll rather than tissues, lasts a lot longer although would admittedly look a bit weird decorating my living room :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    That is simply unhygienic.

I find it cheaper to use loo roll rather than tissues, lasts a lot longer although would admittedly look a bit weird decorating my living room :o

I keep a loo roll on my dressing table instead of 'posh' tissue, but I do still have a box on the coffee table.

DH has always been a hanky user. They get thrown in the wash with everything else, and we haven't picked up any nasty bugs, so how can it be unhygienic??? What do you think you'll catch? If you're sharing a house, you'll usually catch their cold anyway.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    I keep a loo roll on my dressing table instead of 'posh' tissue, but I do still have a box on the coffee table.

DH has always been a hanky user. They get thrown in the wash with everything else, and we haven't picked up any nasty bugs, so how can it be unhygienic??? What do you think you'll catch? If you're sharing a house, you'll usually catch their cold anyway.
    Unfortunately people have a habit of using them and then tucking them away for "next time". If its used more than once, its unhygienic. This is basic scientific fact.

Would you say the same thing about toilet paper?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Sea_Shell
    edited 14 August 2019 at 6:09PM
    Options
    A bit of crusty dried snot never hurt anyone!!! - unless you've got ebola.;)

Oh, sorry are you having your tea?:p

Anyway loo paper disintegrates too quickly to be reused!!
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

Ladies, do you pay any attention to the number of sheets of loo roll you grab for just a wee?

I've, on many occasions heard women unraveling, what sounds like, reams of paper unnecessarily. (When they're not paying for it mind!!)

On conducting an experiment, 4 sheets is all that is required (folded in half then in thirds, giving 6 layers of tissue.)

If you're mindlessly using more than you need...then that's a quick win on the pennies front!!

Some ladies may want a "bomb pad" as they may feel embarrassed about people hearing "toilet" noises.
    Personally I couldn't give a !!!! if people hear me or not.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

Think it is all relevant to ply, I buy Aldi/Lidl 4 ply so 2 squares are adequate for drips:o, if you buy the expensive branded 2 ply options you will double up.;)
    Do I need it or just want it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure