PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• Almost-free
    Almost-free Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    gentlepurr wrote: »
    I use four pint milk containers to store washing powder, and two pinters for soda crystals. Much easier to handle than the HUGE boxes and flimsy soda crystals bag, - oh, and i only use about two tablespoons of powder in teh washer, its plenty to do the job!

I was going to buy a container later on for dried cat food- you’ve made me realise my big milk bottles are ideal and easy to pour from- plus the salt funnel from my dishwasher fits in the top to make it easy to fill them . Great ideas here!
  • Sidthedog
    Options
    I reuse as many plastic bags as possible. Bags that had frozen veg in etc (check for holes) make good doggy poo bags. Double up thinner bags that aren't waterproof. Yes I won't make that mistake twice!
    I collect water that would be wasted whilst I'm waiting for it to become hot (shower/washing up) and use it to water plants - indoors and out as I don't have a water butt anymore.
  • RainbowFriend
    Options
    An idea for gift tags: save tiny ribbons from inside new clothing & use these for gift tags (along with the ubiquitous recycled greeting card tag!) :-D
  • RainbowFriend
    Options
    Gift tags mark II - recycling plastic: Use strong plastic from plastic packaging (say Christmas card or toiletry boxes) cut into gift tag shapes, attach cute/fancy stickers, hang on ribbon (see previous comment)
  • RainbowFriend
    Options
    Cut off and use waistbands of laddered tights as gigantic elastic bands! (Tip c/o Mum!)
  • RainbowFriend
    Options
    Before buying a product in a bottle or (semi) transparent container in a shop, check to see which container actually has the most product in it, as identical items can have varying amounts in them! (There won't usually be much of a difference but it might save us all a few quid over a lifetime!) ;-D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    gentlepurr wrote: »
    I use four pint milk containers to store washing powder, and two pinters for soda crystals. Much easier to handle than the HUGE boxes and flimsy soda crystals bag, - oh, and i only use about two tablespoons of powder in the washer, its plenty to do the job!

Excellent idea I shall have to scrounge some from my DD as I use UHT milk and it comes in cartons. Those flimsy bags that hold soda crystals are useless
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 May 2019 at 9:16PM
    Options
    Use old flannelette sheet to make make-up remover pads.
    Wash foil the reuse.
    To sharpen scissors - cut pieces of foil up.

Found out the other day that if I service and MOT my car on the same day the garage will only charge me £25 for an MOT a saving of £20. (Council run garage - where they service their fleet of vehicles.

Joined a yoga group sponsored by work - instructor gets to use a room for free. Only pay £4 per session instead of £10 per session. Had never taken these opportunities up before.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Before buying a product in a bottle or (semi) transparent container in a shop, check to see which container actually has the most product in it, as identical items can have varying amounts in them! (There won't usually be much of a difference but it might save us all a few quid over a lifetime!) ;-D

I do this. :)
    I particularly notice it on bottles of squash. Sometimes there's bottles on the shelf that are fill to the brim, and there's others with a couple of spare centimetres!
    It probably only equates to less than a glass of squash, but that adds up over the years.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • GooeyBlob
    GooeyBlob Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I often see a 4-pint bottle of milk in the yellow sticker section but can't use 4 pints before it goes off. I always decant it into clean plastic pint and 250ml milk bottles and freeze them. Then I can defrost those one at a time, using them at my leisure. Big plastic milk bottles get filled with water and stored in spare fridge space. That way opening the fridge door doesn't lose so much cold air, saving electricity.

I keep a bucket in the shower to collect waste water and occasionally flush the toilet with it.

Twenty years ago I planted some pear pips in a pot and one grew into a tree. For the past decade I've been getting a lovely free crop of Conference pears every year. I had less success with apple pips, my tree only produces one or two apples per year and they seem to be of the rather tasteless French Golden "Delicious" variety. Once blackberries are in abundance I regularly go for a walk to pick a few. Rinsed under the tap they go well with yogurt or porridge. Combined with elderberries they also make a hedgerow port that will beat anything you can buy in a supermarket.

This one isn't for the faint-hearted but once an old pan scrub is completely useless I don't throw it away. I stick it in the washing machine with my clothes then use it to exfoliate. I just have to be careful not to press too hard...
    Saved over £20K in 20 years by brewing my own booze.
    Qmee surveys total £250 since November 2018
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport