Credit Card Balance Transfer - Payment Missing?

Options
A couple of months ago my girlfriend requested a balance transfer from an Aqua Credit Card onto a new Credit card with HSBC.

The amount she put down to transfer in the application was £2,000. When it came to the transfer, there was only a balance of roughly £1,700 on the card.

This left the Aqua card with a positive balance of roughly £300.

After some phone calls this eventually got transferred. But it never arrived in the HSBC account...

Now months down the line and after countless phone calls back and forth between ourselves, Aqua and HSBC the money still hasn't been found and both banks are denying accountability.

Aqua have provided us with the details of the account in which this excess £300 was transferred, these details do not match the account that the original £1,700 was transferred to, which begs the question, where have these details came from?

HSBC do not hold any account relating to these details.

We are no further forward with this and currently £300 out of pocket. Does anybody have an experience of this or know the best way forward for us?

Thank you.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Formal written complaint to Aqua then on to FOS.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 10 March 2018 at 10:52AM
    Options
    jacobs946 wrote: »
    A couple of months ago my girlfriend requested a balance transfer from an Aqua Credit Card onto a new Credit card with HSBC.

The amount she put down to transfer in the application was £2,000. When it came to the transfer, there was only a balance of roughly £1,700 on the card.

This left the Aqua card with a positive balance of roughly £300.

After some phone calls this eventually got transferred. But it never arrived in the HSBC account...
    Why should it? You are transferring a balance FROM the Aqua card onto the new HSBC card surely?

Now months down the line and after countless phone calls back and forth between ourselves, Aqua and HSBC the money still hasn't been found and both banks are denying accountability.

Aqua have provided us with the details of the account in which this excess £300 was transferred, these details do not match the account that the original £1,700 was transferred to, which begs the question, where have these details came from? I very much doubt that Aqua have provided you with any such details.

HSBC do not hold any account relating to these details.

We are no further forward with this and currently £300 out of pocket. Does anybody have an experience of this or know the best way forward for us?

Thank you.

This is all too odd for anyone to have experience of.
  • Weybridge78
    Weybridge78 Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Agree with above. It doesn't make sense.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you checked the closing balance and opening balance on Aqua & HSBC - do they match?

The only account details Aqua are likely to have is of a bank account if you paid by DD prior to the BT - have you checked this account?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • jacobs946
    Options
    Sorry, I don’t think I’m explaining this very well...

So, the aqua card had a balance of £1700 to pay off. HSBC take on this debt as theirs with the balance transfer. But it's now £2000 (due to this amount being requested in error) and the aqua card is -£300 now. The aqua money should be sent to hsbc to reduce the amount owed to £1700.

They have sent the £300 but it has not gone to the HSBC account. They have provided a letter with the details it was sent to including a ref number but HSBC aren’t willing to investigate.

So I hope that answers your first question?

And to answer your second question, yes they have.

photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNrBXit43Zk5r13YpQT_FLduxZq-gwnqmGvvoQqjSRkV9LWxM8WDGUzUoH3NMPx3Q?key=eWx3dUptT0NWWUgzckdMLTBETThlYjlwcTByS1Z3
  • jacobs946
    Options
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    Have you checked the closing balance and opening balance on Aqua & HSBC - do they match?

The only account details Aqua are likely to have is of a bank account if you paid by DD prior to the BT - have you checked this account?

Hi, yes the number match up, and the details are nothing to do with the HSBC account the balance transfer was going to nor were they the details that payments have been made to pay off the account.

Aqua have stayed they don’t know where these details have came from and according to hsbc they do not have permission to look into the account details we have due to data protection I believe they said.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jacobs946 wrote: »

Aqua have stayed they don’t know where these details have came from and according to hsbc they do not have permission to look into the account details we have due to data protection I believe they said.

I was thinking on the lines of being transferred to your current account that may have been recently switched. At least you've covered all bases. I hope you get it sorted.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family