What to do about this cat?

Options
Hello,

A cat started coming to my dad's house and his girlfriend started feeding it so it never went away and we realised it was sleeping under bushes. I checked to see if it had a chip and it did. Spoke to the owner who said the cat has a catflap, bed, food etc but decided to move itself out due to not liking their dog. She said she tried to rehome it before but it went missing and she had to come and collect it as it was still registered to her chip. She brought it back to their house and it moved out.

So the current situation is: My dad doesn't want this cat. It's his home, his partner doesn't live there but she's round a lot. My dad misses the birds and is not a cat person. His partner wants this cat. She puts food out for it in a dirty wet bowl that is left outside and she lets it in occasionally (they don't have a cat flap). Whilst I stayed with my dad over Christmas, I heard the cat frequently crying to be let in but it spends most of it's time outside.

I've said we need to report the cat as abandoned so the RSPCA can rehome her. But my dad's partner is adamant the cat is happy with this current situation and the cat has "chose" them. She gets very angry at me suggesting we do something about the situation and my dad just goes along with what his partner wants.

I recently got worried because I realised the cat isn't getting the required medical treatment such as the yearly vaccinations. So I told my dad to make a decision - keep the cat and give it a proper home, bed, cat flap and medical treatment, or rehome it. He said he would speak to his partner and has now come back and said that I should pay for the vaccinations.

I am at a loss at what to do. In response to his vaccinations comment I've said I will pay for them but only on the condition the cat then moves in with me and I will give it a proper home. He's not got back to me but I know his partner won't let this happen.

Comments

• Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is your Dad's home and he has every right to say he does not want the cat living there.It's not even as if his partner is there all the time! He needs to make it clear to her that the cat needs a proper home,ie yours,where it will be allowed in the house,poor thing.She is looking up on it as a possession,not a living creature with needs.So,despite what she thinks,she has no rights.Tell your dad you will come and get the cat,if need be when she's out and let that be the end of it.
  • Froglet
    Options
    Also,if he really is too scared to face her with the truth,he could always say it has disappeared.Just as long as she doesn't come and visit you unannounced!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Your dad's partner should rehome the cat at her own home, and get the microchipped transferred to her details.
  • Help1234
    Help1234 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think the reason she hasn't done that thus far is because she has a dog and a parrot at her house
  • Froglet
    Options
    So she wants it but at the expense of your Dad having to stop feeding the birds.That is just not fair.And if she did, the poor little cat would continue to be fed in dirty bowls outside and rarely let in.Anyway,if she has a dog and parrot at her house,yet spends time at your dad's what sort of care are they getting?She sounds very selfish to me.Sorry.
  • Help1234
    Help1234 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No need to apologise, she's an awful woman
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Help1234 wrote: »
    I think the reason she hasn't done that thus far is because she has a dog and a parrot at her house

Well then that's something she needs to work out. If your dad doesn't want the cat she needs to make her mind up!

Lots of cats can live happily with other animals, and it sounds like this one prefers to be out most of the time anyway!
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Before you do anything, you must speak to the cat's legal owners. You cannot just change microchip details and start vaccinating somebody else's cat, even if they patently don't care for it.

You are very kind for being willing to take in this cat. It is very unhappy.

The girlfriend is being utterly selfish and obviously has no idea how to take care of a cat properly. God help her other animals.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Fen1 wrote: »
    Before you do anything, you must speak to the cat's legal owners. You cannot just change microchip details and start vaccinating somebody else's cat, even if they patently don't care for it.

You are very kind for being willing to take in this cat. It is very unhappy.

The girlfriend is being utterly selfish and obviously has no idea how to take care of a cat properly. God help her other animals.

You can't change microchip details without the previous keeper giving permission anyway. The chip company ask their permission, unless they are uncontactable.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Help1234 wrote: »
    No need to apologise, she's an awful woman

I don't think this is about the cat, it's about your dad's girlfriend who it's obvious you have a problem with. Let him sort it out.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure