Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    According to my local branch, Lloyds recognised that they made a mistake in the past and now require that these regular payments be PAYMENTS and not TRANSFERS (i.e. same-bank, same-signatory. transactions).
    Your "local branch" is wrong. Account T&Cs will always trump the uninformed branch staff!
    Incidentally, not all banks/building societies start their "months" on the first of the calendar month. I guess that the safest day of the month for Lloyds is the 15th of the calendar month.
    There's really no need to "guess" anything. Lloyds' month is a calendar month, as clearly stated in the T&Cs. Only Santander demand funding during a different 'billing period' month...all the other high interest current accounts work on a calendar month.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your "local branch" is wrong. Account T&Cs will always trump the uninformed branch staff!.

Well, I queried this, they checked with HQ and said that is was as they said. My recommendation, designed to work whichever, therefore stands.

There's really no need to "guess" anything. Lloyds' month is a calendar month, as clearly stated in the T&Cs. Only Santander demand funding during a different 'billing period' month...all the other high interest current accounts work on a calendar month.

Your point being? Again, my recommendation, designed to work, therefore stands.
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    Well, I queried this, they checked with HQ and said that is was as they said. My recommendation, designed to work whichever, therefore stands.
    It's unnecessary, and only confuses the newbies. Best way is to read the account T&Cs, and encourage others to do the same, and adhere to them.
    Your point being?
    Isn't it obvious? Hopefully others (especially the newbies) will follow the key point of my post, namely read the T&Cs. As a side issue, if your Club account is maxed out, funding on the 15th of the month loses money because you're not getting the benefit of compounding on the interest paid 2 weeks prior. Granted it won't be a lot on one Club account, but not all that long ago one could have 7 Vantage accounts (that's 14 between partners) and many others resulting in well over £100K making >3% AER. Now imagine how this funding inefficiency can affect the return on that figure.
  • polymaff
    Options
    When uncertainty arises there are three possible approaches. Just ask for one process and act on it - this is fine so long as that process is immaculate - otherwise it is a really bad idea. The second approach is to collect conflicting advice and assess which is the right process - your approach. The third is to look at the conflicting advice and work out a process that steers around the ambiguity - my approach. The first approach is by far the worst, your approach minimises effort, my approach minimises risk. Don't be so bigotted. There ARE alternative approaches.
    It's unnecessary, and only confuses the newbies. Best way is to read the account T&Cs, and encourage others to do the same, and adhere to them.Isn't it obvious? Hopefully others (especially the newbies) will follow the key point of my post, namely read the T&Cs

There - a "there is no approach but mine" statement - and also one which is quite patronising.
    As a side issue, if your Club account is maxed out, funding on the 15th of the month loses money because you're not getting the benefit of compounding on the interest paid 2 weeks prior..

Fine, if your interpretation of my advice is correct - unfortunately you are fallible, as this interpretation shows. My advice does not have the effect you describe above. My comment was purely about when and how to meet the funding requirement. It makes no reference to processing of the interest. It no doubt does to someone locked into one mindset - but it fact it doesn't.

I prefer my technique to yours - but I have been very careful not to criticise yours. It is a valid alternative and, I recognise its merits and its liabilities, as I've spelled out - and I believe that you have amply demonstrated - above.

Finally, my apologies for confusing you with my lapse back into Canadian English. As Sherlock Holmes put it "I never guess. It is a shocking habit — destructive to the logical faculty." :)
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

There - a "there is no approach but mine" statement - and also one which is quite patronising.

With all due respect, complying with the T&Cs of a bank account is way better than chancing it based on the opinion of a stranger on the internet. This isn't patronising, it's a simple fact.
  • polymaff
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    With all due respect, complying with the T&Cs of a bank account is way better than chancing it based on the opinion of a stranger on the internet. This isn't patronising, it's a simple fact.

Well, in a way it IS better, I suppose. The last compensation payment I accepted for failure to comply with published T&Cs was for £439. Just before that, one for £150

And they were both from constituents of Lloyds Banking Group, BTW.

It is unwise to take ANYTHING for granted, Archi.
  • Lloyds_Bank
    Lloyds_Bank Posts: 377 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Can someone clarify this as it is not very clear. when signing up to these bank accounts that give you interest on amounts, they request a minimum monthly pay in, e.g. Lloyds wants £1500 minimum. Can this be money transferred from another account or does it have to be from a specific source say like a pension or wage credit?

Hi danielm2014uk.

I spotted your post and wanted to clarify the terms for our Club Lloyds account. The credit of £1,500 to activate the fee waiver can be any credit payments made to the account. That includes salaries, benefits, cash, Faster Payments or standing orders.

Hope this helps.

James
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Lloyds Bank. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE[FONT=&quot].

[/FONT]The information I have provided in this post is correct as at the date of posting."
  • I've a quick Santander123 question that probably doesn't warrant it's own thread.

Can anyone advise why I'm getting £36.92 interest p/m on £20,000 when the T&Cs say;
    3.00% AER/2.96% gross (variable) on your entire balance once your balance is £3,000 or over (up to a maximum of £20,000)

It may be a case of not seeing the wood for the trees here.

(I'm obliging with 2xDD and minimum pay-in p/m and the fee is also deducted)

Ta.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you had had £20,000 in your account every day in July (31 days), you would have received around £40.22 after BR tax for July. As you appear to have received less, is it possible that you didn't have £20K in the account at the end of every day in July? How much had you expected to get?
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    You've received 30 days interest (for your June/July statement month) which would be (£20,000 x 0.0296 / 365 x 30 x 0.8 =) £38.92.

Deduct the £2 fee and there's your £36.92 figure. :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure