ZC's Aim for a little independence

Options

Comments

• PennyJar
    PennyJar Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Hi ZC,

Glad one polls going ok - much more straight forward and less refusals definitely :beer:
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) :T | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    Massive :money: fan - thank you for changing the game!
  • zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening MSE'rs.

Just done an online shop to be delivered tomorrow to last me till next months grocery budget kicks in on Monday. Groceries for July will have been £363.80 (for 2 Adults and 2 pre-schoolers who eat all 3 meals at home 7 days a week). I'm hoping to keep that under £350 for August for both the waistlines and the wallet.

I think my LTV at the moment is about 56%. I think my first goal is going to be to get that to 50% which is about another £6000.

Am getting on well with onepoll and Bounts. In fact, just about to go for a run so I get my points today!
  • MissCreative
    Options
    Hi ZC :hello:

Have you thought of popping your meal plan and shopping on here?
    Maybe we can help with suggestions on your shopping :)
    Plus I like stealing other people's dinner ideas :D

Also, just wanted to ask, how have TSB been for you with their 5% account?
    I'm thinking of opening one up :)
    Originally October 2042 // Goal December 2032
    Currently at £127,500

End of fix goal: £75,000 by September 2024
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Hi Miss Creative.
    TSB have been fine. I find their app easy to use. I had to take ID into the bank to open the acc but that was the only hassle. I've maxed out the current acc and have their regular saver too - I just do a standing order to cover the £500 pm going in.

Good idea to post meal plans. Here we go.
    Today - Lunch - Prawn & Watercress baguette, Tea: Hairy Bikers orange chicken with braised lentils
    Thursday - Lunch - prawn & watercress baguette, tea: Kale pasta
    Friday - Lunch - ham s/w, Tea - Lasagne from freezer
    Saturday - Lunch - cheese s/w, Tea - Pasta Putanesca
    Sunday - Lunch - ham s/w, Tea - homemade burgers & coleslaw.

Snacks - blueberry muffins to make today.

Have applied for an M&S account today so see what happens there.
    Got a £10 credit from John Lewis as I've been waiting 3 weeks for a refund on a dress I returned. That's gone straight to the OP fund.
    Looks like we're going to be sending DS to swimming lessons from September which is another £17.50 pm to find.
    Today we had Hilarys blinds come out to quote for new curtains for our sitting room and our spare room as they desperately need doing. £980! I do like quality but I reckon with a bit of shopping around we should be able to get that cheaper.

Raining her this morning so day off from the farm .It's supposed to dry up this afternoon so hoping to get out for a long walk with the kids.
  • MissCreative
    Options
    Thanks for the info ZC. I think I'll look up some more about the TSB account and their app today.

Your meals sounds great - especially the Hairy Bikers chicken. Good to see you're not adverse to eating the same thing for lunch some days - that's a great way to save money on ingredients :)
    One of the ways I save is by meal prepping my lunches for the whole week (on Sunday if possible). This week I'm having Heck chicken sausages with roasted sweet potato and broccoli, brussel sprouts, green beans and sweetcorn :p
    That's 5 days of lunches for £5-£6, depending if the sausages are on offer.

Have you thought about making your own curtains?
    I made some last weekend for £7 - used a lot of hemming web to keep the sewing to a minimum (I'm not the best curtain maker in the world!). I don't know how much you'd spend on material but you could make them for a 100th of the cost you were quoted :)
    Orrr maybe a local seamstress could do some for you at a fraction of the quote?
    Currently at £127,500

• zcrat41
    Options
    Miss creative - I'm the polar opposite of your username! I can drive a combine, plough a field and handle cattle but I can't even sew in a button!!!
  • MissCreative
    Options
    Hahaha :rotfl:
    Maybe a local seamstress then :p

I didn't actually want to sew the curtains as I don't enjoy sewing that much - it just saved me buying them for £40 (silly double height ceilings!) :rotfl:
    Currently at £127,500

• PennyJar
    PennyJar Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Hi ZC,

You sound really creative to me especially in the kitchen - your meals sound lovely. I'm basic meals like chilli, Thai Red Chilli (from jar ha ha) kind of girl, but I have started batch cooking.

Me and MissCreative are gonna swap shopping lists and meal ideas for some tips on wk end - be gd if you join us.

PennyJar
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) :T | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    Massive :money: fan - thank you for changing the game!
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Good morning,
    Made the most delicious blueberry muffins yesterday. Added a teaspoon of homemade plum jam to the top and covered with a bit of crumble mix. Yum!
    Just cancelled my next hair appointment which was going to cost me £52.00. The joys of going grey. I've instead bought a groupon for a local salon for £11.20 plus 9% cashback for a salon I've always wanted to try but not got round to. If they're good at a cut I'll try them for a colour and I think they'll be cheaper than the £52.00.
    We might be going shopping today to look at cheaper options for curtains. Have made a packed lunch and tea is half made so we don't spend anything whilst we're out. If we don't it'll be free rhyme time at the Library plus lots of playing in the garden.
    Have a nice day everyone!
  • MissCreative
    Options
    Those muffins sound scrumpcious! I need to get some baking going before GBBO starts up again! :j

Have you ever tried dying your hair at home?

Have a wonderful time shopping or at rhyme time :)
    Currently at £127,500

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family