ZC's Aim for a little independence - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

ZC's Aim for a little independence

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
257 replies 25.7K views

Replies

• zcrat41zcrat41 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Morning people.
    £220 sitting in the o/p fund this month so far. If I pay off the mortgage I'll finish one month earlier. My Tesco current acc is in the process of being opened. I was going to use it to switch to first direct to get the £100 + Reg saver but I'm now thinking I might be better to actually used the Tesco acc to get 3%. Are there any simple current acc I can open to use for switching purposes?

Got on well with the Bounts app although my steps from yesterday don't seem to have tracked. Any idea why? I find it quite motivating to see the step count going up. I managed 13 000 yesterday. Not so keen on swagbucks - I started at lease 5 surveys only for them to not work half way through. Having read the swagbucks thread on here I don't think I've got the patience for it.

It's going to be a bit tight for the last week of July - £50 left of the grocery spend (have food in until next Wednesday though) and £12 budget for the kids - I'd like to go swimming with them one day. Then I've been looking at August's budget - it's going to be very tight. The 3 year old doesn't get his funded hours so nursery seems expensive. It's also harvest so DH and I work long hours - I know form experience this means takeaways and expensive easy to cook food! Am trying to fill up the freezer this week with homemade stuff and get a bit organised.
  • LadyGnomeLadyGnome Forumite
    545 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hello and welcome. You look like you've made a very positive start. I've had similar problems with Bounts and steps not tracking, I don't know what the problem is either.
    Mortgage
    Start Nov 2012 £310,000
    June 2020 £199,260.72
    Reduction £110,739.28

End Sept 2034 (but I have a cunning plan...)
  • MissCreativeMissCreative Forumite
    90 posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi ZC! :hello: Best of luck with your MFW journey

If you need meals for the freezer I find large batches of spaghetti bolognase sauce and cooked cottage pie divided up into containers are simple to batch cook and easy to defrost. Any kind of chillis or stews are also great options :)
    Originally October 2042 // Goal December 2032
    Currently at £127,500

End of fix goal: £75,000 by September 2024
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi lady, I switched off the thing that syncs with my health app and it seemed to pick them up the next time!

Thanks Miss. I do quite a lot of mince based meals for the freezer - a few curries would be a good idea though!
  • PennyJarPennyJar Forumite
    114 posts
    Hi ZC,

Just dropping by to say all the best on your quest...I've just started my own diary 'Penny by penny...'.

I started swag bucks got up to £5 and doubled it in half price sale on vouchers - but agree it takes ages. Recently joined OnePoll.com which is so straight forward and hardly any refusals...really easy to see what you'll get and the balance is credited straight away. If your interested I could refer you...think they'll credit me an extra 50p if I sign anyone up. Been on here 4 days and already have £7.60 (they let you cash out at £40). It is another slow burner but if you have the odd 5 mins to spare its worth a try. Well I'm giving it a shot any way.

All the best,
    PennyJar
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) :T | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    Massive :money: fan - thank you for changing the game!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning people.

Penny jar - I might try that one. Pm me a referral code & I'll give it a go. I have a lot of "5 mins" while the kids sleep in the car or I'm waiting for the combine to fill a trailer load!

So last night after reading some advice on here I opened a big standard current acc with my bank for the purposes of switching. I realised I'd be far better off moving my isa savings (about 2k) to the Tesco acc and using another to switch. I already have a tsb acc maxed out at 5%. Also ebayed one of my dresses yesterday. Meals from planned stores today - leftover Mexican chicken stew and baked potatoes for tea. Am working today so need to put the potatoes in the oven now so that I resist the lure of McDonald's on the way home - Friday is often my give in day!

Have a good Friday everyone!

Last night
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRSTilly_MFW_in_6_YRS Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi looks like you're are off
    to a flying start. Gallygirl and Goldiegirl are good diaries to read regarding various bank accounts and introductory £ and interest. We have FD reg savers and I would definitely recommend them.

I love menu planning and on the mince front, I often cook up a batch of diced onion and mince. Portion and freeze and it's a good base for multiple dishes.

Good luck with your goal

Best wishes Tilly
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning!

Not such a successful day yesterday. Started off well with a good online shop for next week (I use my clubcard points to pay for a yearly delivery pass - the supermarket is not a fun place with 2 pre-schoolers!). Then a busy day at work involving my parents and DH completely taking advantage of me. Lo and behold, last night an offer from Champneys came through - 50% off a 2 night stay in Oct/Nov. I'm determined not to be a farming martyr like my Mum and Granny before me so texted the best friend (who also has 2 young kids) and we think we can both get away! That will really give me something to look forwards to after harvest. It'll be £135 each and I already have £70 in vouchers and £20 in savings so I'm well on the way already.

Really struggling with sleep at the moment. My DD is either waking up because she's too hot or if I open the window because the wind scares her. My DS is going through a particularly clingy stage and his hot sweaty little body creeps into bed at 4am waking me up! I've also had problems with my hair falling out and a blood test at the doctors last week showed low iron so I'm on iron tablets. I wonder if that will help at all.

Today I want to go for a run this morning, then church and hopefully a little nap. I'm researching the whole switching thing. It looks like whichever I switch to I can get a good 6% reg saver which would mean sticking with whoever I switch to for a year. I'm tempted by the Nationwide flexdirect but there's no switching offer - just £35 with Quidco. Might do M&S as I could do the transfer in and then get £220 gift card - could buy the kids clothes for a year with that. DH buys most of his clothes from there too. Needs a bit more research today.

Looks like the combine will start rolling today so here goes my social life/time off for the next 3 months!!
  • PennyJarPennyJar Forumite
    114 posts
    Hi Z,

I too had one of those nights and so missed service this morning because I'm so tired...I did have low iron too just after having DD but finally my levels are back to normal. Best thing I did was complete rest and eat bags and bags of frozen spinach along with taking the Drs tabs...apparently it takes a bit of time for levels to return?. But they say drinking orange juice helps iron absorption and drinking less tea is good as it is an inhibitor for iron.

Your spa break sounds like just the perfect thing to look forward to :-) I love a spa me .... I'm sure I seen on MSE tips about ways to get free day passes to places such as Living Well Spa etc that they have in places like the Hilton etc. Me and the hubby did one and it was so relaxing and even nicer because it was free :rotfl:

PennyJar
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) :T | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    Massive :money: fan - thank you for changing the game!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Afternoon MSE'rs.

Not much going on chez ZC. Have set up two DD to charities out of my new acc in preparation for switching to M&S.
    Free tea at Mum's tonight as we're combining round her house
    I've signed up to onepoll and so far much prefer it to Swagbucks. I seem to spend 5 mins on a Swagbucks one before it tells me I'm not suitable!