Cheapest Broadband Provider Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• loughrigg
    Options
    having been on broadband for some 4 years now my current provider, Bulldog Communications, offered me a 2mb connection for £25 a month. the line is limited to 512k between 8am and 6pm mon-fri but outside of these times you get a whopping 2mb speed !!!!!

there are no download limits and service and reliability have been good so far (in my second month with them) also look at Zen internet great service and products much better than the big outfitss
  • alnug
    Options
    HI,

I have been on metronet for the past 6 months and can say that for the first 5 were excellent...then they went through the pipeline upgrade which caused some customers to loose connection or even have slow connections for about 2 weeks, this was mostly due to BT not performing the upgrades when they were due. I can say now that after the upgrade my connection speed has increased! they have excellent service and reply to e-mails very very quikly I have no trouble recommendng them at all!

On another note to Martin. I see that you state that wannado is one of the best for all round. However I would like to draw your attention to e7even https://www.e7even.com. They do a one yearly subscription service, there i NO download limit! for the first year it is £250 (due to £50 connection fee), dropping to £200 in the second year, this equated to £16.66 for unlimited bandwidth, e-mail and some webspace!

I have another connection with e7even, for parents home, and can say that the connection is the fastest (as tested with adslguide), it is pretty much topped out and has been for the last 3 months I have had the connection. Very very good for a no frills service, plus thier customer service can rival that of metronets.

I would seriously recommend people check metronet and e7even.

==========
    note I just read azims reply to e7even above also..so i guess i'm not alone 8)
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I am on a 24/7 with Virgin but have just been hit by a £19.50 premium rate dialled number I knew nothing about,will Broadband stop these numbers being dialled?
    If not what can I do to stop premium rate numbers as I am with Onetel and they say they cannot block 09 numbers! Is it true that Norton Antivirus will stop 09 numbers and where is cheapest place to purchase?
    Sorry if this is on the wrong page but I am new to this and am not sure. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
    Derrick
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am with Metronet, and find their customer service very helpful. they get back to one if you leave a message out of hours. Easy no frills service.
    my average bill is around 12-13£/mth.

However, i would be interested in hearing about other provider deals e.g pipex, buldog etc. Maybe Martin will consider a more detailed review of popular providers?

A good place to buy a modem is at https://www.dabs.com they have modems for £20. or i bought an emergency replacement at £30 from Argos, as the thunder storms knocked out my last one.
  • whbs
    whbs Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Loughrigg

I'm with Bulldog and immediately tried to get that service but they tell me they "don't do Primetime anymore"

Sad
  • t_i_g_e_rr
    t_i_g_e_rr Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    Infofreak, I work in IT, and while I don't know everything, I am unsure how my computer or ADSL equipment could dial a premium rate number if my old analogue modem isn't connected to the phone line. ADSL can't 'dial' like an analogue modem can so it can't dial an 09 number.

Derrick, unless I'm told otherwise, if you disconnect your old modem and connect to the internet through ADSL you can't dial 09 numbers. I'm sure many people leave their old modems connected when they set up ADSL. I did until I heard about these dialers. But its safest to disconnect your old modem until you need it (which will be rarely, i.e. only if your ADSL service fails).
  • tbfccats
    Options
    If I pay my £17.99 pm for BB but me phone service is through Cauldwel, do I keep paying them by the second for being on line?
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Martin,

BT don't offer a package called "BT Unlimited"

I presume you actually mean "BT Broadband" (the standard package) which is £24.99 and not the BT Broadband Basic tariff (the £19.99 one)

Of course, it also confusing as they offer BT Yahoo ADSL (http://www.btyahoo.com) as well

Regards
    Sunil
  • A_Friend_7
    Options
    Telewest are also a reasonable broadband provider - there are various packages on offer, with the cheapest at £17.99 a month (256K), if you also take on another telewest service (eg phone line). Non Telewest customers are offered the same package at £19.99 a month. The first month is free of charge, and the contract is for a minimum of 12 months. For further information see https://www.blueyonder.co.uk.
  • victoriapavier
    Options
    I am new to this Internet surfing stuff and was wondering whether you kept your e-mail address if you changed provider - because if you don't it might out weight the cost having to contact all your friends, new registration to sites, business cards etc - is my thinking right that I would have to change or is the technology similar to mobile phones where you get to keep your number these days?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure