Anyone used Rointe heaters?

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I just love the bit about explosions! They said, effectively, that gas boilers caused 400,000 explosions in 2008 ...

And how did they get that figure? Well, they searched in Google or similar using 'gas' and 'explosion' and managed to get 400,000 web pages containing those words!

I just googled 'Murders in Bradford in 2009' and got 74,700 web pages.

So whilst it is not strictly 'money saving' I would advise you all to stay away from Bradford as it is clearly a very dangerous place - what are the police doing about the situation!

The point about these firms like Rointe and others, is that despite the ruling they can carefully re-word their adverts so the implication on savings is the same.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    I just googled 'Murders in Bradford in 2009' and got 74,700 web pages.

I googled murders midsomer 2011 and got 478,000 results - and we're still only in January!!!
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • worcesteryokel
    Options
    I have found this thread after going to CEF today ostensibly to buy a couple of storage heaters for an outbuilding, but they are really pushing Rointe heaters, they have one belting out heat at the counter and there are promotional leaflets everywhere, which still carry the 60% energy saving claim and no risk of explosion claim which the ASA told them to remove in the above mentioned adjudication. The sales pitch made me smell a rat, which it seems I was quite right to do, so thanks for the clear explanations on the thread about the physics behind the claims.

I know nothing about Elka heaters, but when people invest so much emotion in praising them and insulting people who disagree with them, my suspicions are similarly raised.

I don't think I will be buying one.
  • Cardew
    Options
    I have found this thread after going to CEF today ostensibly to buy a couple of storage heaters for an outbuilding, but they are really pushing Rointe heaters, they have one belting out heat at the counter and there are promotional leaflets everywhere, which still carry the 60% energy saving claim and no risk of explosion claim which the ASA told them to remove in the above mentioned adjudication. The sales pitch made me smell a rat, which it seems I was quite right to do, so thanks for the clear explanations on the thread about the physics behind the claims.

I know nothing about Elka heaters, but when people invest so much emotion in praising them and insulting people who disagree with them, my suspicions are similarly raised.

I don't think I will be buying one.

It is really excellent that you found this thread by 'googling'.

Over the past few years we have had load of people coming on to MSE and singing the praises of similar electrical radiators with magic properties and available at unbelievable prices. - someone paid £2,500 for 2(two) radiators. It is certain that many of these people are employees.

Hopefully anyone Googling the name of the firm, like yourself, will read some unbiased and accurate advice - and it will be an 'own goal' for those trying to hoodwink customers.

Sadly they will find a ready market in those less well informed.
  • worcesteryokel
    Options
    I went back to CEF today to drop off a copy of the ASA ruling, and whaddya know, all promotional material for Rointe has been removed since last week. The boy at the counter said something about them always having to order more, but the leaflet boxes and advertising stands were also gone, so I take it they have had a diktat from on high to get rid of it.
  • Cardew
    Options
    The problem is that firms like this can simply start up using a different name with the same product and same sales tactics - implying that their heaters give out more heat.

It takes a year or two for their activities to be curtailed and they have a new set of victims. Their profit margins must be absolutely huge.
  • Mattm70
    Options
    HELP!!

I am about a week away from starting to build a home, the only problem is that the only fuel we have is Oil which is cost more each year and is now a stomping £800 for 8 months.. i bought a rointe 5 element radiator which had the 60% energy efficiant label!!! *Naughty*.. when i tested the energy output it was a wapping 500W!! this stayed like it for a while which is causing me a huge worry.. When i read this my fears have just grown but now i am in a panic as i have one week before work starts and now i have no heating... is there a good form of electric heating?? if not what can i do as money is tight and i dont want huge bills every month.. PLEASE HELP!..
  • Cardew
    Options
    Mattm70 wrote: »
    HELP!!

I am about a week away from starting to build a home, the only problem is that the only fuel we have is Oil which is cost more each year and is now a stomping £800 for 8 months.. i bought a rointe 5 element radiator which had the 60% energy efficiant label!!! *Naughty*.. when i tested the energy output it was a wapping 500W!! this stayed like it for a while which is causing me a huge worry.. When i read this my fears have just grown but now i am in a panic as i have one week before work starts and now i have no heating... is there a good form of electric heating?? if not what can i do as money is tight and i dont want huge bills every month.. PLEASE HELP!..

Welcome to the forum.

It has been stated time and again that all Electrical heating gives out the same heat output for the same running cost, with the exception of heat pumps which are very expensive and give many people problems.

You really need to read all the threads in this section - there is no 'one size fits all' answer as all forms of electrical heating have their drawbacks and all are expensive to run.

Above all don't be fooled into thinking there is any electrical heating system like Rointe that is endowed with magic features that enable them to produce more heat - a £10 fan heater or £20 oil filled radiator from Argos produces the same heat for your bucks as any other heater.

P.S.
    How much did your 500w Rointe heater cost?
  • faultytowers
    Options
    Hi i,m not sure if its good as yet but i had to have new floors in my house downstaires, so they are insulated. i wanted tiled floors and it was surgested to use electric underfloor heating as i have no gas. you can set it to come on and off when you want the floor is warm to walk on i set it at 20deg in the bad freeze and it was lovley and warm. Not sure on running costs yet as only had it in 6 months but i,m happy. was looking at wall heaters for upstairs but might wait and have underfloor upstairs aswel.
  • steviegee1982
    Options
    I had my electrician around last night doing a bit of work. he said he had seen a letter from Rointe about what the advertising standards people had said.

Rointe claim that they didnt provide the proof of their energy savings as they didnt know who the ASA was and they wanted to protect their technology.

Rointe are now saying that the tests prove that their heaters have 40% consumption and 60% non-consumption? I didnt really understand that bit but the electrician said that they had just put a big heater in a room that didnt need it. He actually said it was a crock of sh*t and he hadnt installed any since.

Hopefully they'll get found out again but they get to confuse people for a bit longer I suppose - naughty, naughty.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback