Tummy bugs on holiday UPDATE Shigella post 57

Options

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also, if one of your party falls ill and you're sharing a bed, bathroom or toilet, the chances are you'll then catch it from each other too.

When we were last ill, there was anti-bac gel available at the entrance to the restaurants, which we used, but you can't guarantee everyone did.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Also, if one of your party falls ill and you're sharing a bed, bathroom or toilet, the chances are you'll then catch it from each other too.

When we were last ill, there was anti-bac gel available at the entrance to the restaurants, which we used, but you can't guarantee everyone did.

That’s why I liked the way the sensatori handled it so much.
    They didn’t plonk it there for people to use, they dosed them with it!
    I’m going to look for hotels that do this going forward.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Unfortunately, a dose of Delhi Belly is a fact of life for travellers. No matter how careful you are you can pick up a bug from anywhere. Sometimes it's just a matter of your digestive system not being used to the local bugs and if often it's impossible to identify a single cause or prove any liability on a hotel or restaurant.

I agree. I've been to India and Turkey in the past year (and many occasions previously). I did get a small dose of Delhi Bellly but fortunately not Turkish Tum. Of course it would be great if everyone adhered to high hygiene standards etc but there are so many other potential variables.

What seems particularly annoying for OP is that you seemed to have spent a lot of time and effort trying to protect yourself from limiting your food choices and keeping out of the sun to keeping your mouth firmly shut in the shower (no singing from you then!). That's a shame. Perhaps stay closer to home in future. :(
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm also convinced that if you're I'll in the first couple of days, you probably picked up the bug at the airport or plane or transfer.

I've wiped down many a meal tray before touching it!!

In the Balearics I've been told it's a seasonal thing, spring and autumn. Is this true??
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    Worst case i have ever had was in Eygpt,was so bad went to bed in my underpants with the dressing gown on and a towel underneath me just in case,not very nice but local bought tablets cleared it up in two days then no alcohol for a few days.
    We took every precaution possible but these things happen.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    You play roulette with all holidays, longhaul or not. It's as likely to be something you caught off someone or something else as it is the food. It only needs someone to take a bug with them, or for someone who has a bug to go back to going in the swimming pool as soon as they feel better etc. Same goes for travel, return to work etc inside 48 hrs of being clear of symptoms when you're still contagious.

Whenever we've been to the Caribbean I've always eaten what I wanted, and never been ill. A number of years ago on a visit to Lanzarote I was ill for nearly a week. We don't stay in hotels there so couldn't blame the food in particular, it was a week after arriving so wouldn't be the flight or the airport. I spent 2/3 days on my own having a love affair with the bathroom in our little bungalow, while OH and son got on with their holiday. By the time we flew home I had been clear of symptoms for several days so knew I wouldn't be contagious.

It's just part of travelling unfortunately.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    I noticed the chef rinsing spoons in the hot water he used for heating the pasta up. He had a big vat of water, he’d drop the cold pasta in, warm it through and then add to ingredients and stirfry. Using it for rinsing things at the same time was a bit grim. I also noticed cross use of ladles and spoons by chefs.
    For instance The pasta station he used one ladle for tomato sauce and bolagnaise sauce - not nice for the vegetarians! Those are just little things I noticed. But some def bad practices going on.

You're drip feeding info to this thread. In light of this info, you should have raised a formal complaint at the time.

I worry that the overuse of cleaning sprays and the obsession with sterilising everything in this country means we go abroad without the necessary bacteria in our stomachs to fight this sort of thing naturally.

I stayed in Egypt for a couple of months. Within a few weeks I could eat almost anything without fear of anything as my guts had built their own immunity.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Unless you have eaten and drunk all the time in your hotel there is no way to narrow it down to that exclusive location.

Visits to bars etc. or having an ice cream, for example, elsewhere could be just as liable.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    . Perhaps stay closer to home in future. :(

No, instead I’ll stick to hotels that practice the hand sanitizers system as per the sensatori Cancun.
    Or maybe I’ll stick to there! I love Mexico.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    Unless you have eaten and drunk all the time in your hotel there is no way to narrow it down to that exclusive location.

Visits to bars etc. or having an ice cream, for example, elsewhere could be just as liable.

I didn’t leave the hotel for an instance.
    Not until we were collected to return to the airport.
    We did plan to get out one day, but we felt too poorly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure