Options
123457»

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    iwb100 wrote: »
    Given the diagnosis is Shigella - which causes dysentry - whilst its possibly from food - it usually would only come from something someone has handled that is uncooked. So for example a slice of cheese. Its possible.

More likely that this is from the shower water/swimming pool or some other source of water. This is the usual transmission. Especially in a hotel. Someone has it - gets into the swimming pool before they are fully better and MOST of these AI hotels don't use enough chlorine to kill off bacteria quickly enough. Hence something like this spreads very rapidly. It also could have been from ice - a dirty glass - brushing teeth - virtually anything. But usually its water based. It can come from food, but would need handling of uncooked food and that isn't impossible - but if it was hotel prep at fault - you'd expect that would be major and likely have resulted in many many outbreaks over the years. But it could just be bad luck.

I should note that my wife and I once went to Egypt where half the hotel came down with dysentry - the other half completely unaffected. Some people were so bad they had to be given drips in their room or taken to hospital. My wife was bad for a week - but thankfully not at the worst level, whilst I had no issue at all. It turned out after investigation to have been from tap water in the rooms - brushing teeth. We all did this, but half survived without symptom - conclusion being either half got really lucky - OR we'd already been exposed previously in life to that Shigella bacteria. It is possible that the kids had immunity - from nursery etc....

We were really careful about the water - we only used tap water for teeth & kept our mouths clamped shut in the shower!
    My daughter didn’t go in any pools the grandchildren didn’t - in fact she spent less time in the pools, but who knows.

I witnessed tardy food practices at the cooking stations and some people in other posts have mentioned using the same utensils for raw and cooked food.
    And another person has mentioned their concerns over the cooking at the tampanyaki.
  • Kim_kim
    edited 21 November 2019 at 9:35PM
    Options
    Not good, but that means you mixed with people in the hotel and did fly home while you were infectious. That is not good either.

It isn't food poisoning though. It's spread from the faeces of a person that has it. It could be from touching utensils or anything else that has become contaminated by it, either by staff or tourists both in the hotel or on the flight, and including food that has been washed in a contaminated water source, or from another person that has it. Incubation is typically 1 -3 days, but can take a week.

The results took over a week to come back, they have to grow the bacteria or something.
    You cannot just not get on a plane and come back because you have a dodgy tummy - travel insurance would not begin to cover that.
    We have done nothing wrong but gave been let down by TUI. It was one of the most expensive holidays to that destination picked because we didn’t want to take risks with small children.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    The results took over a week to come back, they have to grow the bacteria or something.
    You cannot just not get on a plane and come back because you have a dodgy tummy - travel insurance would not begin to cover that. Get
    We have done nothing wrong but gave been let down by TUI. It was one of the most expensive holidays to that destination picked because we didn’t want to take risks with small children.

I really can’t imagine the full horror of a long haul flight with diarrhoea. Either as the sufferer or someone sitting anywhere near or using the toilets. Did you call your insurers to check? I would have!
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    I really can’t imagine the full horror of a long haul flight with diarrhoea. Either as the sufferer or someone sitting anywhere near or using the toilets. Did you call your insurers to check? I would have!

She hadn’t eaten since Sunday.
    Plus we had pre booked aisle seats.

We assumed it was ordinary common travellers tummy, rather than a notifyable to the department of health problem.
  • iwb100
    iwb100 Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    We were really careful about the water - we only used tap water for teeth & kept our mouths clamped shut in the shower!
    My daughter didn’t go in any pools the grandchildren didn’t - in fact she spent less time in the pools, but who knows.

I witnessed tardy food practices at the cooking stations and some people in other posts have mentioned using the same utensils for raw and cooked food.
    And another person has mentioned their concerns over the cooking at the tampanyaki.

It takes a single drop of water from somewhere a pool - the shower, a dirty glass etc....

But it seems you just want to pursue an agenda of food poisoning even though given the identification of cause that is less likely than a compromised water source.

Not saying it wasn't food. Just that shigella has nothing to do with the sort of poor food prep you are discussing. It is simply fecal matter - and any cooked food would not be an issue only raw food that someone touched with fecal matter on their hands. Like I say, not impossible, but were that the case the hotel would almost certainly have been closed down by now - unless you were very very unlucky.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    iwb100 wrote: »
    It takes a single drop of water from somewhere a pool - the shower, a dirty glass etc....

But it seems you just want to pursue an agenda of food poisoning even though given the identification of cause that is less likely than a compromised water source.

Not saying it wasn't food. Just that shigella has nothing to do with the sort of poor food prep you are discussing. It is simply fecal matter - and any cooked food would not be an issue only raw food that someone touched with fecal matter on their hands. Like I say, not impossible, but were that the case the hotel would almost certainly have been closed down by now - unless you were very very unlucky.

Actually I thought we were just unlucky & suffered travellers tummy. I was disappointed & I wondered what others thought about the lottery we enter when we book some holidays. I had no intention of complaining to TUI, I haven’t before when I’ve suffered similar.

But this wasn’t travellers tum. It’s turned out to be something much more serious, that the department of health for England need notification about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure