Tummy bugs on holiday UPDATE Shigella post 57

Options

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Were any other guests ill during your stay ?

Strange that the two kids appear to have been OK - thankfully.

No idea.

On the afternoon we fell ill we both had the same thing for lunch - from the room service menu - chicken Cesar salad.

The kids tended to eat slightly different things to us. The kids don’t eat much meat for instance.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    On the afternoon we fell ill we both had the same thing for lunch - from the room service menu - chicken Cesar salad.

Water used in preparation is a common suspect where salad has been a possible cause of a tummy problem.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    Water used in preparation is a common suspect where salad has been a possible cause of a tummy problem.

Yeah I know.
    They do promise they use purified water for washing salad, fruit and veg, for cooking & for ice.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Am I one of the few who think we use too much hand sanitiser and cleaning products in general.

I never use hand sanitiser. I do of course wash my hands ( with soap and water as and when)

Ive never used hand sanitiser unless in a hospital or when I worked in a kitchen

Certainly never used it abroad and Ive never got sick

But there again, I tend not to eat in all inclusive hotels I tend to go out to restaurants , bakeries, food stalls to eat. Even bought cups of slush from street vendors with out a problem

Im also one of those slobs who doesn't feel the need to disinfect the house or washing

But Ive only ever had two incidences of food poisoning in my 55 years of living dangerously
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Am I one of the few who think we use too much hand sanitiser and cleaning products in general.

I never use hand sanitiser. I do of course wash my hands ( with soap and water as and when)

Almost certainly.

A sensible approach makes one's immune system more up the challenge of minor foreign bugs which waylay others.

It also helps if you own a dog, such is the ability of the dirty, disgusting lovely scamps to vastly increase the bioflora of your house.

It's probably worth avoiding holiday situations like cruises and all-inclusives where you are almost certainly going to be lumped alongside many a guest with dubious personal standards spreading their faecal matter to the four winds.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    It's probably worth avoiding holiday situations like cruises and all-inclusives where you are almost certainly going to be lumped alongside many a guest with dubious personal standards spreading their faecal matter to the four winds.

Problem being if you like the Carribean and beach side 5 star hotels then AI is your only real option.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At least if you go to Torremolinos, and get sick for 3 days, it hasn't cost you ££££, for the privilege!!!!;);)
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • blues
    blues Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    No idea.

The kids tended to eat slightly different things to us. The kids don’t eat much meat for instance.

So other guests not using hand sanitiser wouldn’t have been the culprit here?
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Going as far as the Caribbean and not going outside the hotel doesn't compute with me, but maybe I'm different.

Anywhere where you've got a hundreds and hundreds of people in the same place eg a hotel is a recipe for getting ill because of how easily stomach bugs are spread.

More worrying, you say you got it on the Sunday, were there for a week, and that you've still got it which means you flew home while you were at the most infectious stage so could have given it to a lot of other people as well.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    Going as far as the Caribbean and not going outside the hotel doesn't compute with me, but maybe I'm different.

Anywhere where you've got a hundreds and hundreds of people in the same place eg a hotel is a recipe for getting ill because of how easily stomach bugs are spread.

More worrying, you say you got it on the Sunday, were there for a week, and that you've still got it which means you flew home while you were at the most infectious stage so could have given it to a lot of other people as well.

We would have gone out - HAD WE FELT BETTER!!!

How would I have given a tummy bug to others?
    I wasn’t swapping fluids with anyone and I was scrupulous about washing my hands.
    Having the tail end of a tummy bug does not entitle you to stay on your holiday and defer your flight home, it’s not an emergency.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure