Tummy bugs on holiday UPDATE Shigella post 57

Options

Comments

• couriervanman
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    I must add, we did use anti bad gel, but unless everyone is doing it, it’s not very effective.

Something else I noticed.
    On hotel buffets they always put a napkin for people to grab the bread to cut it. I often saw people just handling it :-(

To be honest how many people use the tongs in supermarket bakeries:eek:
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 November 2019 at 10:27PM
    Options
    To be honest how many people use the tongs in supermarket bakeries:eek:

So long as they grab one and stick it in the bag, it’s no big deal.

It’s people who have a squeeze that are the problem!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    We were extra careful keeping our mouths clamped shut when showering & used bottled water for teeth brushing.

But unless you kept your nostrils clamped shut and didn't breath in during your showers, it's still possible for water or water vapour to have gotten into you.
    Nasal hairs are designed to help prevent nasties from getting to your lungs but it's certainly no guarantee that they will be 100% effective in doing this.
  • Kim_kim
    edited 7 November 2019 at 11:01PM
    Options
    But unless you kept your nostrils clamped shut and didn't breath in during your showers, it's still possible for water or water vapour to have gotten into you.
    Nasal hairs are designed to help prevent nasties from getting to your lungs but it's certainly no guarantee that they will be 100% effective in doing this.

We left one restaurant because the burgers were raw in the middle (I don’t mean pink), I mean cold raw.

Lack of anti bac gel.

I noticed the chef rinsing spoons in the hot water he used for heating the pasta up. He had a big vat of water, he’d drop the cold pasta in, warm it through and then add to ingredients and stirfry. Using it for rinsing things at the same time was a bit grim.
    I also noticed cross use of ladles and spoons by chefs.
    For instance The pasta station he used one ladle for tomato sauce and bolagnaise sauce - not nice for the vegetarians!
    Those are just little things I noticed.
    But some def bad practices going on.
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So long as they grab one and stick it in the bag, it’s no big deal.

It’s people who have a squeeze that are the problem!

Yes watched an old man in Morrisons last week squeeze several and not even buy any. Wish i'd been brave enough to say something :(
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Options
    pattycake wrote: »
    It can be as simple as ingesting some of the water when showering. No telling where a stomach upset is contracted.

Thank you pro bottled water lobby!

Unless you are off to somewhere very very obscure or "third world" you are more likely to be ill from bottled water.

But do buy into the plans of bottled water companies. (you do realiase the proper ones that are bottled at source contain more weird minerals than most tap water right? You seem fine with them right?).
  • blues
    blues Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apparently the hand sanitisers used by a lot of these hotels doesn’t stop norovirus etc. anyway.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately, a dose of Delhi Belly is a fact of life for travellers. No matter how careful you are you can pick up a bug from anywhere. Sometimes it's just a matter of your digestive system not being used to the local bugs and if often it's impossible to identify a single cause or prove any liability on a hotel or restaurant.
  • pompeii
    pompeii Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes it can be the water in swimming pools, even with the best food hygiene if other guests are inconsiderate they can ruin your holiday. We went on a Caribbean cruise. There had been a norovirus outbreak on other cruises at the time and the crew were constantly wiping banisters door handles etc, every time you went into a food area or bar the sprayed your hands with anti bax spray.
    One evening at the buffet I saw a man take some food off a serving plate with his hand take a bite and put it back. I called a member of the crew over and asked them to dispose of the food which he did.
    While sometimes hotels could do better, othertimes it only takes a random act of stupidity.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Unfortunately, a dose of Delhi Belly is a fact of life for travellers. No matter how careful you are you can pick up a bug from anywhere. Sometimes it's just a matter of your digestive system not being used to the local bugs and if often it's impossible to identify a single cause or prove any liability on a hotel or restaurant.

Perhaps, but I felt as per my post above, their food handling wasn’t the standards you would expect in a 5 star resort.
    Certainly not a patch on the sensatori last December.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure