PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• dingdongsaving
    Options
    Weekly shop 2 now here. :)
    £179.83 spent of the Feb budget. Managed to catch lots of offers and multiple buy discounts on things we all enjoy like fresh chicken burgers, lamb shoulder and brisket so have frozen several meals to repeat in week 4 or March.
    We all really enjoyed the black pudding and eggs last weekend so I made sure we had some more for Sunday when hubby is off with us. Will do poached eggs and hm has browns tomorrow for me and the kiddos.
    Right, I've ground the coffee beans from the freezer and have everything ready to fill the house the scent of the weekend in the morning. :coffee: DS always comes downstairs saying when he wakes up and smells coffee brewing it's what reminds him it's not a school day. ::j
    Happy weekend all!
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    A sneaky £65 spent today, £30 at the butchers for meat for the week, and £30 at the Grocers of Eastern Promise over in the city on the other side of The Forest, whilst on another errand. We have many exotic spices & other delights to fit into the store cupboard now, although some we had run out of so they'll go straight into the kitchen. There'll be more spent at the market tomorrow, on fresh fruit & veg, and I need to add a bit to the "entertainments" budget as DD2 & I "treated" DS3 to a meal at the Swedish Emporium whilst there. We could perhaps have gone somewhere more exotic, but he wasn't going to miss out on meatballs & chips!
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £32.04 spent yesterday in Ald1. Will need a couple of bits today so another small spend due but hoping to keep under £35 for the week.

I'm finding that the local sm reductions have been rubbish since Christmas. Can't figure out if they are getting better at ordering or if there's a YS ninja on the loose.

Anyway, keep up the good work people!

Vicky x
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £8.16 in Aldi, forgot to get the dogs chicken, 24 thighs so last into March, had to have a packet of biscuits 4 baking potatoes and some half price portabella mushrooms.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Tales17
    Tales17 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all!

I hope you are all well, I gave up on forums last year as my Dad was poorly from October and passed away in November so everything went crazy for a while. I am just getting back on top of all my accounts again now so would like to rejoin again!

Can I be put down for £600 for this month please. Went over this last month but had lots of stocking up to do.

Should be able to be good this month as we are away on holiday next week - surprise trip to Disneyland Paris for the kids! So that will save a week on grocery spending! :)

Spends so far for February:

- £15 Fruit & Veg Box
    - £3.89 Graze Box
    - £55.28 & £10.09 at Tesco
    - £8.84 at Co-Op

We have just had a Lidl open a short distance from us so will be taking a look in there when the hype calms down!! :)
    Grocery Challenge 2019 YTD-£820.46/£7200(11%)
    Grocery Challenge Feb - £93.10/£600(16%)
    £12k in 2019 #: Monthly Saving Accounts £500, Cashback & Competition Sites £2.59, Shopping Saving £152.09,Selling £121.26, Interest & Dividends £43.93, Surveys £0, 365 Day Penny Challenge # £103.44
    Total Saved - £923.31/£12000(8%)
  • White_musk
    Options
    Yesterdays village top ups.

Butcher £9.47
    Greengrocer £3.80
    Bakery £3.41
    Coop £5.97

£22.65 is a bit more than the £15 I hoped to spend but I don't need a single thing. I was going to go into town on Monday but I don't think I need to.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £25 gone this morning, on fruit, veg, baked bits & cheese, at the market. The only thing I foresee needing before next weekend is bread, which to be fair I can always make if necessary! Today's haul included 4 punnets of blueberries for £2, most of which will be in the freezer very shortly, as will some of the 8 courgettes that cost me £1.
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Airthrey
    Airthrey Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Meant to post sooner but have been laid low by a rotten cold. At least it's kept me away from the shops.

I've spent £46.27, almost half my February budget already, and it's only the 9th. In my defence, £22 of this was for store cupboard things which won't get used this month, or possibly even next. Am I the only one who doesn't feel secure without a year's supply of tea in stock? I do only buy it when it's on offer, but even so...

After January's really restricted budget, I've been indulging a bit more this month and have spent on things like peppers, mushrooms and nuts which I felt I couldn't afford last month. I need to find a happy medium.

I tried making Jack Monroe's Tin Bolognese (lentils and mushrooms but no mince) and enjoyed it and will definitely do it again. She priced it at 48p per portion although mine will have been a bit more as I threw in some other stuff lying around the fridge while I was at it.
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2019 at 3:02PM
    Options
    £106.14 spent so far, have just totalled everything up in my spends diary.
    Not been an easy week, usually would have gone on an emotional spend.. my diary has really put me off doing it as it holds me accountable for nonsense spends!:T
    Sainsbobs this morning, picked up a few bargains, am noticing lots of items vanishing or becoming a lot more expensive.. challenges me to find an alternative!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Latest spends:

£20.70 Sainsbugs (butter, mature Cheddar cheese, a chicken, 4 pts of milk and a sizeable piece of ys Wensleydale with cranberries accounted for £12 of that, so not too bad)
    £7.70 Market

Slightly more than I'd intended to spend but at least I won't have to go anywhere near a shop for at least a week! :D And I'm challenging myself to incorporate all the little odds & ends in the freezer into this week's meal plan. Wish me luck! :p
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport