The Happiness Fund.

Options

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 February 2017 at 5:36PM
    Options
    I keep popping on here as it motivates me. My friends' sometimes have vouchers but most of the time not. My friends drink water they have lovely skin I love Diet Coke.
    :rotfl:
    Food I chucked - old whoopsied bananas and carrots, whoopsied eggs. All stuff that was close to its use by date and I didn't eat all of but I did eat some. It was quite cheap as it was whoopsied but I just got bored of only eating bananas you know. :o:(

I can't believe how much work I have done today. I am going to watch Hoarding now I watch all the Real Housewives, Channel 4 News and Hoarding and Compulsive Cleaners. Which programmes do you watch ?
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I hope you don't mind me offering some suggestions, I'm not sure how much cooking you do.

I would have cooked the carrots and mashed them, then frozen in portions in freezer bags. They can be used to add to spag bol or chilli or as a different low carb topping for shepherds pie.

I make soup with carrots, an onion and a potato plus a chicken stock cube & freeze in portions in plastic tubs similar to takeaway tubs.

Very ripe bananas can be mashed or blitzed in a blender if you have one and frozen. It ends up like banana ice cream and is yummy.

Eggs are usually "best before" so you can use them after the date just be careful that they look and smell ok when you crack them open- you could make them into an omelette and freeze it. They only take minutes to warm up in the microwave

I watch a lot of American programmes like Elementary & The Blacklist & Blindspot. If I watch hoarding programmes it makes me want to clean the house even though it is nothing like as bad as some of those on tv :rotfl:

I had a look at freesat but it doesn't have these channels so at the moment I will stick to VM as DS pays half and consider a freesat box once he's left home (whenever that may be !)
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    edited 15 February 2017 at 9:44PM
    Options
    OMG you are really smart. I am going to learn loads from you. Well done I will use some of these ideas for sure. No matter how money saving I think I am there is always so much more I can do.

Your programmes sound American and v posh. I only watch ITV Be and news. I love hoarding programmes as they inspire me to clean. lol.

PS I spent £35 at supermarket and £8 on travel today.
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    My dream is to be financially secure with enough money in the bank that I don't have to worry about my job and sickness. Slowly slowly I am finding my way. I hope in the next 5 years I am able to increase my savings so I don't have to stress about work so much.

I am so glad we have this website. I cant thank MSE enough for all the help they have provided me with.
  • savingwannabe
    edited 16 February 2017 at 8:35PM
    Options
    So far today I have visited the drs. I am going to [STRIKE]clean all the mirrors and tvs in the house & get rid of personal paperwork [/STRIKE] :j and then I have to do my marking :o which I keep putting off.

I ate gorgeous food today. From now on I am going to buy good food. It is a priority.

Not done marking yet - might do tomorrow. Today is a NSD.
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    OMG. I just put the newspapers on. Donald Trump is absolutely bonkers and talking gibberish about Nuclear War after his slip up on Israel and Palestine. Why is he still in power? This nut is nuts. The US must be terrified. We are, and an ocean separates us thank goodness. OMG. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • snozberry
    snozberry Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    Options
    Trump is his namesake: a bloke who speaks out of his backside. He is frightening.

Did you get your marking done? Mine is still in my bag!
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    No I have left it. I am doing it tomorrow. It is the last thing. It is easy but I can't face it.

I just read the Guardian article where they had a clip of Seth Meyers discussing Donald Trump on the Late Show. Superb. It's in You Tube just type Trump Administration in Turmoil Amid New Russia Allegations: A Closer Look I am not allowed to add a link but you can type it. This deserves some kind of award.
  • savingwannabe
    edited 17 February 2017 at 3:01PM
    Options
    Ive tidied house and put some washing out. I am not sure it will dry but am giving it a go as I am at home.

I can't transfer my bank account yet as all direct debits haven't gone out yet. No marking done yet.

To avoid marking I used this £1 fabric cleaner on my ivory sofa corner and it doesn't look any cleaner luckily I only spent about two minutes on it. I am going to have to fork out £100 ish to get them professionally cleaned and scotchguarded. At least I know now. I have asked for 6 quotes. Cheapest price for v good service is £94. Slapping it on my card. I wonder if my parents will notice that the sofas are clean? It'll be a surprise.

Oh gosh, I am going to watch some telly and then will consider marking. I hate marking. It is gorgeous outside. The weather is going to be nice tomorrow, I might just walk a bit or do some gardening tomorrow.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Oh its a shame the fabric cleaner didn't work but good that you got lots of quotes hope its not too expensive but will be worth it if it means they last longer
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback