PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegetarian Christmas alternative?

Options

Comments

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    is that shopbought or home made? cos it sounds yummy!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    homemade, would you like the recipe?
    I haven't got one!
  • HGLTsuperstar
    Options
    Nut roast should be banned. This year I am having an Aunt Bessies Giant Yourkie, filled with Tofu and Veg Extra-Hot Made to Order Chinese Curry collected from our local t/away
  • Bargain_Claire
    Options
    Shame on you 'moneysavers' that buy in ready made yorkshire puds! Mine always come out nice when using the volumetric method:

Equal volumes of egg and plain flour mixed together so they are smooth and then add enough milk to the consistency of double cream (just less than the same as the volume of flour, which is the same as the volume of eggs.) Get a bit of fat really hot in the oven (approx gas 7) I use a fairy cake tin. Pour in mixture, cook for 5 min and then turn down to gas 5 for about 10 min. Yummy, satisfying and a fraction of the cost!

>Sorry it took so long for me to respond to the Q below but some vegetable oil is all you need for the fat. Don't use olive oil - it doesn't get hot enough. Merry Xmas!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am getting organised. Bought filo pastry, camembert and cranberry sauce. Feels good as I have a tiny freezer but enough room in the fridge. I`ll make a really good nut roast on 24th and that`ll keep nicely for a few days. Cheekymole would you please post your recipe. Sounds lovely
    I also like the yorkshire idea. I`ll get the quorn sausages in and the rest will be like a roast dinner.
    What type of fat bargain-Claire?
  • cheekymole
    Options
    The "fat" is just cooking oil, I will post the recipe a bit later for you for the stilton and apple filo pastries
    I haven't got one!
  • cheekymole
    Options
    Savoury Stilton and Apple Strudels

1lge stick celery
    1 large apple cored and diced
    300g stilton rind removed and crumbled
    50 fresh white breadcrumbs
    3 tbsp sunflower oil
    25g butter melted
    13 sheets filo
    4 tsp sesame seeds

makes 6 strudels

cook celery in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes drain and leave on kitchen paper to absorb excess water
    combine apple stilton and breadcrumbs with cooked celery
    mix oil and butter. fold a piece of pastry in half and brush with oil/butter mix
    fold another and plpace on top keeping the other sheets wrapped in clingfilm
    scatter a sixthy of filling leaving 2 cm gap round the edge. roll up loosely in a sausage shape and put on baking tray tuck in edges and brush with oil/butter
    repeat to make 5 more
    cut last sheet of pastry into 6 strips scrunch each one put on top of each strudel and sprinkle with seeds. bake for 15 minutes 200c gas 6

and enjoy
    I haven't got one!
  • cheekymole
    Options
    red wine and red onion gravy

serves 4

2tbsp olive oil
    2 red onions cut into thin wedges
    200ml red wine
    500ml stock
    1/2 tbsp plain flour
    25g chilled butter cubed

heat oil add onion cook covered for 10 minutes. remove lid and cook for 5 minutes
    add red wine boil for 2 minutes add stock simmer for 10
    mix flour and butter to a paste whisk into gravy in small amounts. boil and whisk until thick and glossy simmer for 2
    I haven't got one!
  • jay-1
    jay-1 Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    That sounds lovely- can you freeze the filo pastrys and gravy as I would like to prepare it before rather than on the day.
  • cheekymole
    Options
    I'm going to and have done with similar things before - good luck, it lookks like a lot of veggies will be getting this for their dinner this year!
    I haven't got one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport