Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :beer: lovely thanks so much for that :D I was thinking of trying the Sauvignon blanc but now I think I'll go for the Pinot Grigio. Dh got his brewing stuff from a cheap place near his old factory , might be worth getting him to have a look for some wine equipment like yours (plus he might pay :rotfl:) I take it those containers are full of the 30 bottle kits ?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They are. One is Chablis and one Pinot Grigio. You also need a siphon tube but that costs pence.
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,479 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    60 bottles of wine?? Where do you live again, Alchemilla?? ;)

I watched a youtube video of someone making Beaverdale wine & the presenter used a hydrometer to take a gravity reading?? What's all that about?! :rotfl:

If I go ahead I'll try the Pinot Grigio (would have tried the Sauvignon Blanc) & Rioja I think.
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • Alchemilla
    Options
    Come on over Pink but we are a dry house until July 4th.

Hydrometers look lovely my Dad lent me one.

I dont bother. Just taste a tiny bit before adding stabiliser (first of three sachets). If it tastes dry then the sugar has fermented out and job done. Honestly if it was hard work I wouldnt bother. Success rate so far 100%.
  • newgirly
    Options
    Its payday :j

All has been accounted for and paid out already, new regular isa topped up with £655 now has a total of £1000 in as a mini emergency fund.

Plus £320 off the mortgage :D also £50 going by standing order to premium bonds. Also £380 put by towards dd's college bus, and £140 off the 0% cc's

Next month it should be the first big payment to the mortgage for a very long time, I can't wait. :)

I'm going to have a try of having a frugal month from this payday, It will include dd's birthday though so I will have to allow some extra for food and drinks for friends coming over too.

It's been ages since I did a monthly mini challenge , I'm thinking £100 pw all in , ie. food /drink/petrol / treats etc. it will force me to meal plan and as I'm hoping to lose weight it will help if I can't afford much wine :D

However a might sneak a little home brew purchase if I can borrow some equipment from my brother to try out first, if I can't borrow I'll purchase at the end of the month with some of the savings made :beer:

Dd Is having driving lessons and a provisional licence for her birthday , plus I got a lovely pandora ring in the sale for £28 reduced from £95 :money: just need to bake or buy a cake and sort some food and drink out.

Not much else to report, £20.29 came through topcashback finally and I got a £9 refund check from eon today so that was nice.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    I've had a good day today, took my dd and mum to the shopping centre and didn't spend much at all :D coffees paid for by dad who sent money with mum, toiletries in £1land and £4 each on two summer quilts for the twins, and £3.80 on lots of little novelty erasers in the sale from the posh stationary shop (for my friends boys who I'm visiting tonight)

Dd is going away with a friend for the weekend tomorrow and I need to send her with £50 for food , so this weeks budget is disappearing fast. I may do a week of no big shop just use what's in the cupboard, buy milk , bread and drinks for packed lunches.

I am almost embarrassed to say but I've we've decided to cancel the disneyland paris trip AGAIN ! :o. Dh was under the impression that I would foot the bill for the passports , spending money and ferry as he's paid for the trip, it was more a case of him not listening when I said he would have to pay all of it! Anyway he has got enough to pay for it all and has offered but it will be the last of his money gone , plus I would prefer to be saving for next years break and this will help a lot.

The only one who is a bit upset is dd , so the compromise is we will pay for her and a friend to go next year for her 18th on a coach trip for a few days there, she seems very happy with that and it's saved us loads as the coach trip is very cheap compared to us all going.

Im using the money saved to pay the balance of our cheapy butlins Xmas weekend away and the deposit for centerparcs as that's going to be our special summer break next year (I'm going to be 40 and dd 18 ) the surplus is going to be saved.

Off to have a shower before I go out and try out my new £1land bubblegum flavoured shower gel :D
  • Alchemilla
    Options
    Sounds yummy!!
  • newgirly
    Options
    Feeling very poorly today :(
    I think its a combination of wine and maybe sunstroke yesterday at the funeral we went to. It was a massive east end style funeral with hundreds there, very sad but a good send off , all paid for by the man who passed aways boss.
    A huge do afterwards in a function room nearby , but so many people we had to sit in the garden as there was no room.

Dh has taken the boys out for dinner as he didn't want to cook and I have been in bed all day :o one thing is for sure I shan't be buying the wine kits that alchemilla has recommended as I shall NEVER be drinking again :rotfl:

Nothing else to report , I am watching a bit of Glastonbury from my sick bed , my little brother is there and has already celeb spotted nick frost :D
  • newgirly
    Options
    I have a day off today, so a shiny new to do list for the week is needed:

Check accounts
    Meal plan for the week from supplies
    Pay for dd's school bus
    Set up the kids new isas
    Do meter readings and submit
    Clean whole house Monday and Friday
    Keep all washing up to date
    Set up twins online school online lunch payments
    Order birthday present for ds1s friend
    Order my lot some birthday presents online
    Sort out a 70th present for fil for next week
    Stick to £100 pw budget all in
    Continue being alcohol free
    Have a (probably) temporary go at being vegan again

That's it so far :D
  • newgirly
    Options
    I've caved in and spent some of next weeks £100 budget, it turns out if you spend the grocery budget on other stuff you end up with not enough food for the week :rotfl:

Still, we currently have more fruit and veg than a tescos extra (from aldi of course ;))

Back to work tomorrow, things are hotting up again with our "battle" with the other owners of our old factory. Looks like things are swinging our way for a change fingers crossed, 5 years of trying to settle things amicably and we are not much further on, however the very nasty personal insults to dh have slowed down lately. Hopefully it will all be sorted before its time to retire, I shall update fully when it's all done and dusted!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback