Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've spent years determining which plants slugs won't eat.
    This year they decided they'd eat everything they have ignored in previous years.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    I've spent years determining which plants slugs won't eat.
    This year they decided they'd eat everything they have ignored in previous years.

Gitdog had better watch out, then. :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• jobbingmusician
    Options
    Loooove this, which someone posted on my Facebook page. I immediately ordered several dozen boxes, which have already arrived and are in the fort - feel free to open as needed!

healing%20vibes.jpg
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    I do a little bit of shopping online, but not a lot, so not sure if this is a worrying thing or not.

I bought a suitcase today from a French company, in France.

Firstly, when I was ordering it, I had to open a account with a password.
    Then I noticed that there was no security lock in the address bar on the page where I was entering my name and delivery details.

However, when it came to paying, there was a lock,in the bar, so I went ahead and completed the order.

Anyway, an email came through confirming that an account had been opened in my name, and listing my details, name, address, etc. and my password!

I've never had that happened before! I trashed and deleted that email, but am a bit concerned. It was only the password for that particular account with that company, and nothing to do with the payment, at least I hope not.,

Should I be worried?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• Georgiegirl256
    Options
    I wouldn't be worried Pyxis, quite often companies send you an email confirming your account details and that includes your password. :)

Listed yet more stuff on eBay. The cat has now decided that the pair of trousers -that I haven't yet photographed and listed- are the most comfortable thing ever! He never sits on the rug usually!
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Thanks, Georgie. It's just that I thought passwords were supposed to be secret, not bandied about in emails that anyone could see!

I'm used to emails confirming name and address etc., but never the p-word as well!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• onomatopoeia99
    Options
    It's not ideal to include the password in an email for a variety of reasons, but it's not a complete disaster either. To read your email to obtain the password to this site, an attacker would need either to get the password to your email account or intercept your communication with your mail server (there are some other possibilities but those are much less likely).

If anyone can read your email, I would be concerned about that though! I'm the only person that can read mine.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Pyxis
    Options
    It's not ideal to include the password in an email for a variety of reasons, but it's not a complete disaster either. To read your email to obtain the password to this site, an attacker would need either to get the password to your email account or intercept your communication with your mail server (there are some other possibilities but those are much less likely).

If anyone can read your email, I would be concerned about that though! I'm the only person that can read mine.
    No, no-one can read mine.
    Well, they could if they could get into my iPad, but there is the lock, although it is only a 4-figure number.

I'm just thinking about families where they might have access to each other's emails, , or someone might be looking over your shoulder.or you might be checking your emails at the library or something, I don't know.

But, I thought emails weren't secure, which is why you shouldn't send a lot of sensitive personal info in them?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Georgiegirl256
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Thanks, Georgie. It's just that I thought passwords were supposed to be secret, not bandied about in emails that anyone could see!

I'm used to emails confirming name and address etc., but never the p-word as well!

I've had quite a few different retailers sending me a reminder of my account name and password once I'd signed up and made an account.

I'd say it's very very unlikely that anyone would be able to get into your emails to read it, I wouldn't worry.
  • Georgiegirl256
    Options
    No more ebaying for me tonight, someone has made themselves very comfy indeed....

0BDBC848-47C8-4615-864C-747FDBB784A6_zpsryfrzmk9.jpg
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure