MSE News: O2 to launch superfast 4G network, but not for iPhone 5

Options
"O2 will launch its 4G network in London, Leeds and Bradford from 29 August – but customers won't be able to use iPhone 5s with the new network."
Read the full story:

O2 to launch superfast 4G network, but not for iPhone 5

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How is that news?

O2 won 800 MHz spectrum in the OFCOM auction, the iPhone 5 does not support the 800 MHz band and suddenly people are surprised by the fact?

This has been public knowledge since February, the iPhone 5 was always a bridging device as far as LTE is concerned.

The iPhone 5s or 6 (whatever Apple call it) will be out shortly and will support the proper 4G bands.
    ====
  • mikegahan
    mikegahan Posts: 280 Forumite
    Options
    A little ambitious perhaps, their 3g network leaves a lot to be desired, even in a big urban centre like London, suppose they see 4g as a big money spinner, perhaps they should have spent that money on iprovin their 3g coverage
  • d123
    Options
    mikegahan wrote: »
    A little ambitious perhaps, their 3g network leaves a lot to be desired, even in a big urban centre like London, suppose they see 4g as a big money spinner, perhaps they should have spent that money on iprovin their 3g coverage

Fortunately there is a coverage obligation built into the 4G allocation that O2 won in the auction. They will be penalised if they don't hit coverage targets so the likelihood is we will see quite rapid expansion.

Ofcom has attached a coverage obligation to one of the 800 MHz lots of spectrum. The winner of this lot is Telef!nica UK Ltd. This operator is obliged to provide a mobile broadband service for indoor reception to at least 98% of the UK population (expected to cover at least 99% when outdoors) and at least 95% of the population of each of the UK nations – England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales – by the end of 2017 at the latest.

====
  • ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    How is that news?

O2 won 800 MHz spectrum in the OFCOM auction, the iPhone 5 does not support the 800 MHz band and suddenly people are surprised by the fact?

This has been public knowledge since February, the iPhone 5 was always a bridging device as far as LTE is concerned.

The iPhone 5s or 6 (whatever Apple call it) will be out shortly and will support the proper 4G bands.

Mr average joe won't have known.

And they are the people complaining right now. But you and i both know they have no real right to complain.

4G roll out seems to be blanket coverage of cities (hence the focus on just 3 cities first then the others) before moving out into other areas.
  • Brianrh
    Brianrh Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I live 200 yards from an O2 mast and I still can't get 3G at or around my home area. Currently with Giffgaff but seriously considering Orange/T-Mobile. As for 4G, I wouldn't mind a little 3G to start with.
  • d123
    Options
    ZhugeEX wrote: »
    Mr average joe won't have known.

And they are the people complaining right now. But you and i both know they have no real right to complain.

4G roll out seems to be blanket coverage of cities (hence the focus on just 3 cities first then the others) before moving out into other areas.

Agreed, but you would expect MSE to do a little research before publishing a "news" story and not act like Average Joe ;).
    ====
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Their 4G network might be a bit better as they are rolling it out in conjunction with Vodafone.

O2s 3G coverage is very poor
  • ZhugeEX
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    Agreed, but you would expect MSE to do a little research before publishing a "news" story and not act like Average Joe ;).

Ah, it's not MSE though. It's everyone. Even EE's twitter were poking fun based on the iPhone issue.

bFZTlFL.png
  • d123
    Options
    ZhugeEX wrote: »
    Ah, it's not MSE though. It's everyone. Even EE's twitter were poking fun based on the iPhone issue.

bFZTlFL.png

Again, not the same thing, I would expect EE to make a big issue about it, it's in their business interest.

I don't see why someone who styles themself as "MSE's tech writer" couldn't be bothered to research the matter properly.
    ====
  • ZhugeEX
    edited 1 August 2013 at 11:09PM
    Options
    You missed my point.

EVERY news outlet from BBC and Sky to the telegraph and daily mail have noted the fact that the iPhone 5 won't work on O2.

In fact the O2 CEO was attacked in an interview on Sky news for that very reason.

So yes, journalists/average joe don't really know what they're talking about and are complaining for nothing. But it's not just MSE, it's everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure