Get a grip woman!

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Who knew I could get 2.5kg of organic pumpkin seeds for the price of the SM 250g bags I have been buying?

Where from please?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,614 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh my. I have continued to track everything. My totals are currently:
    [STRIKE]
    £5601.34[/STRIKE] £5046.85 in total (this is last month's CC items that are being paid for this month too) but I just realised I had included the CC payments too - so double counted (phew!)

£487.20 Other things (I will look into this bucket, later)
    £130.90 Food
    £46.09 Drinks
    £2886.59 payments
    £111.49 Fuel
    £875.32 Work-related
    £509.26 TTs

Still got some money in both CA with only 3-4 payments left. I will keep updating this but I will need to look critically at what is where. Top of my :eek: eek-list is work-related. It does include my season ticket £713.50 until the end of May

What does payments include? That is a pretty large category so presumably bills, mortgage, credit card payments etc? I think you do as we do and use a credit card for food and fuel and repay in full each month in which case you are double counting or the figure in spends is not accurate i.e the credit card should be broken down into categories - food, fuel, meals out etc etc and not included in payments if you see what I mean?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,614 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spending app trackers are great for seeing what you are spending. Santander have one which covers all spends on debit and credit cards so I swear by this one for tracking what we spend on meals out, food, fuel etc etc.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 May 2018 at 7:54AM
    Options
    Where from please?

here versus here on mySM. Actually for 200g bags, not 250. Another down-size pack!! :eek:
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    In terms of breakdown - first my work-related, I can claim all of it except my season ticket, which is down to me but only while I continue to work. Unfortunately, at £713.50 from 16th April to 24th May it is high (that is Easter to half-term - both planned breaks with the forthcoming one so DH and I can do a bit at home together (garden and tidying I expect).

Payments is all of the direct debits and standing orders. I am tracking the individual ones in a spreadsheet rather than an app (still using a full-size MacBook in our study with a lovely big screen!)

My breakdown so far is:
    Union 14.91
    ISA 260
    Union 13.86
    Council Tax 200
    Health 30.75
    TV Licence 12.37
    Mortgage 500
    Holiday 483.21
    Loan 397.98
    Water 25
    Life Insurance 91
    Mortgage overpayment 626.35
    Mobile phones (3) 110.16
    Donation 5

I could split out cost of living from payments on debts and savings I suppose but they are all automatic. I have taken out the three credit cards but realised as I was capturing these that I have also double entered water and Life insurance so off to remove these now. I will report again next week.

I normally use the debit card for my shopping, work-related meals, and fuel, rather than credit card, but this will probably change when I retire as my favoured CC for domestic spend is my JL card which gives me vouchers and once the travel costs drop off for commuting these will slow (and the bill will reduce)

"Other" is my category of shame. I might look at that next week.
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooh, some of your "payments" are wonderful savings: an ISA and a mortgage overpayment :) plus loan repayment - does that still have lots to go? Thats a lot :( but unavoidable, of course! Excellent to find ore double entries too :)

Life insurance seems a lot? I can't remember quite what your circumstances are, SL, sorry - but as we know in my family, having life insurance to pay off debts in case of a death makes such a difference.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    The loan runs until November - it is a two year 0% interest loan for the double glazing. Planned to end before my work does. I've just popped back to put the shopping in and checked DH's credit card. Mmm, there are a few hidden treats in there. I don't mind, as long as I account for them. I have split out his April statement and all the May spends now so it really is a double month.

Our life insurance is for £250,000 until my 70th birthday or first death and was taken out when our Son was still in school. It was designed to allow for a live-in support if one of us died, or to pay everything off and pay towards Son's guardians extra costs if we both died. If we were doing it now with a dependant it would have to be a million I suspect. We wouldn't get anything like this value-ratio if we cancelled and took out something else now. I guess if we get to 70 we will pre-pay for funerals and reduce our finance complexities, rather than go for a big policy again.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds spot on, SL, thanks for that.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Got the letter from the BS noting the OP on Thursday. Really disappointed that they have recorded the balance at still £74,000.10, whereas their website shows £73,999.69. On the upside the balance is 10p away from the interest rate and now just £61.05 a month - or £2 a day (whereas the website has it as £62.35 per month. I might have to track that figure.
  • Suffolk_lass
    edited 19 May 2018 at 9:34AM
    Options
    Here is this week's update - I have added a few more columns - and who knew 80 rows would not be enough ? :eek:

Total £5718.93
    £500.04 - Other things
    £187.53 Actual possessions
    £84.40 Entertainment
    £218.95 Food total (inc stores)
    £46.09 Drinks
    £926.86 payments (bills, utilities, subs, premiums)
    £1524.33 Debts
    £816.97 Savings and TTs
    £429.04 Fuel
    £925.32 work-related (including my season ticket, over £700)

I might need to distinguish commuting fuel from household/leisure/motorcycle if I continue with this next month
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure