Get a grip woman!

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well the car is fixed and our lovely local garage refused to take any money from us - so just the £342 at the dealership. They may check to see if it is tank cleaner or diesel but it is done whatever, and DH paid as a click transaction so no receipt to helpfully tell me if it was his error (let us assume not) or the garage, and no means to claim... bleaugh

Housekeeping going OK this month but lots of things like deodorant were on offer so I bought 6 - £1 each instead of £2.20 and they don't go off. Same with toilet paper and shower gel so stores spend higher than I hoped
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Suffolk_lass
    edited 14 April 2018 at 5:08PM
    Options
    Sorry to hear about all these expenses. :( I know it's very disheartening that the £700 went, but it was doing its job, that's what squirreling away is for. You will build it up again and you don't have to find that money to cover expenses now.

Hope the car is better soon.

You are right. It is all about having those little contingency spaces here and there.

I have just been into my betting account (that sounds terrible - I set it up nearly 20 years ago for the Grand National and it is rarely used) and there is £84 in there :j so I have put a few E/W bets on for this afternoon. Fingers crossed!
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good luck with the betting! I actually went into a betting shop one time, to place a bet of 50p :rotfl: ... there were 5 of us doing the same thing, and I'm sure betting shops are used to it.

I don't even know if the race has finished right now :o hope you got a good result!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Thanks KC, wouldn't that be something to win a couple of hundred towards the car bill! - I think the race is at 17.15 so just off to watch, and hope the horses are all OK as the ground is pretty heavy
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Two horses placed. I won £22 but I placed bets for other family members (gave is a better word) and ended up £20 down. Better than £44 down though!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Well, who knew? - I was in the process of contacting the Pre-Payment Prescription Certificate people to query why I don't have my new one and the DD had not gone out yet and I thought I should just check - hell they are free from age 60 in England! So there is something nice about growing old after all!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Isn't it odd! I only just learned that in time myself, had to have some dental work done just after I turned 60 :) Sounds like it might be quite a saving for you if you've needed to have a Pre Payment going on.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Yes, I have five items on a monthly prescription plus another one I can call off as needed, so I have had the monthly one for years. The joys of my immune system means I get hay fever in spring and leaf-mould rhinitis in autumn and early winter!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Hooray, confirmation that they are free now!

Money is looking dire with nearly a week until DH is paid and over a week for me (30th).

It is slightly irritating as one of the people we were in Scotland with has not paid me but I have paid everyone else. So I am a couple of hundred down at the moment. I think I will text him and ask him to pay into a different account to jog his memory.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Suffolk Girl, I thought I would pop in and say hello :hello:

I said yesterday you could be my long lost sister, and having read some of your diary - the similarities are quite spooky ! We are also in the last couple of years before retirement (early for me) and are trying to get our finances in a good state before the earned income stops. I am over on the MFW board, but not actually paying the mortgage off because we too have a great mortgage product ( not quite as good as your tho').

I will follow with interest what you get up to :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback