* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    after making do for years with a tree that was small and weedy I have bitten the bullet and invested in a 7ft beauty from basalm hill. I ummed and ahhed about taking advantage of their sale which ends today or waiting for black friday. The tree I chose had 40% off - I doubt I'd get much better this side of Christmas to be honest so I've gone for it. I hate buying unseen so I hope my hours of trawling instagram and facebook have paid off and I like it when it turns up

I've treated myself to a prelit tree as I HATE doing the tree lights. Now to convince DH that we should put the old tree up in the dining room...
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    mandco wrote: »
    murie

GTQ hope your feeling better soon. Wow 6 shows in 2 weeks sounds fun though what are you seeing anything good?

Includes Dirty Dancing & Dr DoLittle! Also going to see a comedy called "The Bank Robbery that goes Wrong" Saw its sister play "The Play the goes Wrong" earlier in the year, if this is half as funny it will still be very good.
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • princesskitty29
    Options
    alja with the Christmas cards, my first thought would be to get them done and out of the way but then again the advantage to waiting is you’ll see who you’ve got cards from in case you’ve missed anyone!

Stokie yes it is a lovely idea.

murie wow all wrapped! I’ve wrapped a grand total of 3 presents so far! Definitely need to get a move on with that.

GIYD aw that Sainsbury’s ad is really sweet. Imagine if that happened when you went your kids school play!

I went to a massive ASDA to do some Christmas shopping yesterday, I’ve never been before and it was like a town!! I picked up a few bits so some more off the list. We’ve booked to take Wiggle to his first pantomime just before Christmas, it’s Tabby McTat by Julia Donaldson. We’ve opted to take him to a small theatre (Peppa – The Stables, have you been?) as we think he’ll cope better with that rather than the massive one.
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    PRINCESSKITTY The Stables is really nice, it’s small and friendly. As it’s just up the road from us we’ve been quite a bit in the evenings to see different performers but we took the DGSs to see Stick Man a couple of years ago and DD took them last year and it was great both times. Youngest DGD is autistic so we went to an autism friendly performance. I’m sure you’ll have a lovely time.

PAVLOVSDOG I bet you won’t be disappointed, their trees look amazing. I love our 7 foot tree (John Lewis) but I do sometimes wish I’d gone for a pre lit one, getting the lights spaced properly is the one Christmas job I don’t enjoy.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • radioactivepig
    Options
    Just a quick heads up, the works have 25% off a £10 spend online, and Quidco have 20% cashback today too :)
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    IAlso going to see a comedy called "The Bank Robbery that goes Wrong" Saw its sister play "The Play the goes Wrong" earlier in the year, if this is half as funny it will still be very good.

comedy about a bank robbery is fun but play that goes wrong is far better IMHO
    Peppapig wrote: »
    PAVLOVSDOG I bet you won’t be disappointed, their trees look amazing. I love our 7 foot tree (John Lewis) but I do sometimes wish I’d gone for a pre lit one, getting the lights spaced properly is the one Christmas job I don’t enjoy.

it arrived today (about 35hours between ordering > delivery). Quality is superb - well worth the money. A real investment piece
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Got a good few things this morning. I got a big tub of Knex from Tesco for my nephew. It was £15 down from £30. I checked online and couldn't see it cheaper than £25.
    In Primark I got a unicorn onesie for dd2 and a Pusheen night shirt for dd2.
    I also got some more small Mini mixie Q playsets for £1.99. Dd2 loves them and it's hard to find them now.
    Matalan yesterday still had their 25% off Christmas stuff. So I got a unicorn brush with dd2's initial on it, and a unicorn trinket dish. Do you see a theme here? :rotfl:

I feel better that I have most of my shopping done. I know most of you are way ahead of me. But I just struggle to buy early. I always buy better the closer to Christmas I get.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So much for no more presents :o
    Our kettle is leaking and looking a bit grim. OH and I went out for a meal Sunday to celebrate the award of my Masters degree and we cut through John Lewis. I’ve asked for a food processor from there for Christmas so we stopped to look at them and while we were there we looked at kettles.I asked OH to pick which one he liked. He duly did so and I whipped it off the shelf and to the till before he could argue :D he tried to pay for it himself but I smacked his hand away :D he’s been told he’s not getting it until Christmas though ;)

I also remembered that whenever I change my phone (roughly every two years) that I change OH’s phone as well. He just uses a cheap candy bar type pay as you go phone so relatively cheap and easy to replace. I got him a nice Doro phone in the EE shop.
    Finally I spotted one of the type of cardigans he likes in a sale online so I ordered him one of those, plus a new wallet as his hasn’t been replaced in a while.
    He said he feels really guilty that I’ve bought him so much stuff so he asked me to think about what else he could get me. I argued he didn’t need to- but we’ve compromised that he’s set a figure and he’s going to buy me the food processor, as agreed plus a bottle of perfume which comes to roughly half the figure and then give me the rest in cash.
    Also done the Christmas food order from Waitrose/Ocado- I got a cracking deal as it was my first order so I got £25 off plus free delivery (as it’s due on Sat 22nd delivery was a tenner) so I saved myself a tidy £35 :) It came to just about the same as the Asda order did last year- there was 17 substitutions on that so I’m hoping Waitrose do a bit better!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • girlinayellowdress
    girlinayellowdress Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 15 November 2018 at 10:41AM
    Options
    Just watched the JL advert. Personally I love it so much that it is my favourite JL ad to date, true meaning of Christmas but I do know JL can divide people

https://youtu.be/mNbSgMEZ_Tw
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Went to see Dr DoLittle last night, was a lovely, gentle evening. But there was one of those moments! You know that brief few seconds when you can hear a pin drop in a venue, leading boy kissed leading girl, absolute silence then suddenly my friends grandson says "ooh la la!", really loudly! Whole theatre erupted into laughter!
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure