Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twins_2_Be
    • By twins_2_Be 22nd Oct 04, 7:12 AM
    • 710Posts
    • 181Thanks
    twins_2_Be
    Help Wasps! Water & soap trick??
    • 22nd Oct 04, 7:12 AM
    Help Wasps! Water & soap trick?? 22nd Oct 04 at 7:12 AM
    We have a massive amount of wasps in the house...worried one might bite the new twins. Noticed at night they swarm around the light in the loft.

I recall some method where you put a bowl of water under the light with washing up liquid in it (or maybe it was oil).....the idea being that they land in the water and cannot get out.

Anyone recall this trick?
Page 1
    • Glad
    • By Glad 22nd Oct 04, 11:01 AM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    • 22nd Oct 04, 11:01 AM
    Re: Help Wasps! Water & soap trick??
    • 22nd Oct 04, 11:01 AM
    find a tall jar or vase and put honey or jam in it with some water to cover
    cover the top of jar with paper with a hole cut in it, make the hole quite generous but so there is a lip around opening
    wasps will be attracted by the sweet smell but be unable to get out
    I use these around patio during barbecues

I've also read somewhere of a homemade trap using plastic pop bottles and putting 2 inches of fruit juice in the bottom with a small peice of meat, the fermenting meat attracts them

replace traps every day other wasps might be put off if trap is full of dead wasps
    • carly
    • By carly 22nd Oct 04, 11:21 AM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    carly
    • 22nd Oct 04, 11:21 AM
    Re: Help Wasps! Water & soap trick??
    • 22nd Oct 04, 11:21 AM
    Wasps ( apart from the queens ) should be dying off by now. it is unusual to see them in large numbers at this time of year. Is it possible that you might have a nest in your loft ( or nearby ).
    You can buy wasp nest destroyer from most DIY places, or it might be a good idea to ring your local council as most offer a pest control service.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

562Posts Today

5,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin