XS Direct - Is it a scam?!

Options

Comments

• Frog200
    Options
    I was wondering how you're getting on with this??

I am in the same situation. My car rolled back into another car in a car park. No one was in the vehicle and I thank god took pics. The 3rd party rang a few days later saying £300 worth of damage. I said i have proof and witness to say no damage. She went through insurance. They rang and I said yes my car did roll back but I'm 100% denying any damage incurred. I had pictures of both vehicles and her quote. I sent it to them and I said i want proof that damage was a result of my negligence or pre-existing damage. Didn't hear anything until 3 months later demanding over £1500 from the £2800 it costs them to fix her car. She sent me a quote for £300, my car back rolled into the back on her car, we couldn't even spot a scratch and she was looking to make money (it was clear by the look on her face when I wasn't taking it as a life or death situation like she was). No one was in the vehicles, they called my reg number on tannoy.

I don't want to incur any extra charges or have bailiffs come round as they have threatened.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't mean to hijack your post but we night be able to both resolve this because it really can't be right. I'll delete if you want me to.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just because you failed to spot any damage does not mean there wasnt any.

I have a radiator shutter on the front of my car. Even a small knock will damage the control arm. Not visible unless you get underneath or remove the bumper.

They gave you the option of paying £300 or going through the insurance. You should have bitten their hand off on that one.

Putting it through the insurance may have added hire car charges and an inflated bill for repair.

Terrible choice for an insurance policy but the price probably seemed attractive and who reads the terms and conditions?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Yaffy2018
    Options
    Hello again,

I was wondering whether you could inform me if the results (if any) regarding the Ombudsman and your claim? I am about to refer my case to them but was wondering whether you were successful?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yaffy2018 wrote: »
    Hello again,

I was wondering whether you could inform me if the results (if any) regarding the Ombudsman and your claim? I am about to refer my case to them but was wondering whether you were successful?

There is a lengthy thread on consumeractiongroup that went to Ombudsman and lost and they're still asisting the guy
  • Maria82
    Options
    My BMW X5 10 year edition was stolen in December 2018. I informed my insurance " Insure your motor" and the transfer me to XS direct. I send all the documents they ask by email and I wait. I give them time with my hope maybe my car will be found. Nothing. I decide to call them ,first they told me that they send me a letter where they informed me that I must to send the V5,keys,MOT ,etc. I told them that I didn't receive any letter. I was happy, I had a hope that they would pay. And I wait again and still nothing. I call them again and this time they told me that they still waiting a report from police. Fine. I call at police and they explained that they don't send nothing to the insurance because, they have the crime reference already and they can chase the case.( Anyway the case it's closed. I received the letter from police 3 days after my car was stolen that the case it's closed. ) I try to hire a lawyer against XS direct but they said I need a reason, like a letter from them,they don't pay or pay to less. So now I'm stuck with this answer every time when I call them. Can someone give me a advance, I tryed everything, everywhere. PLEASE
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Whenever you are not happy with your insurance company the route to go down is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if you are not happy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you
  • Daz2020
    Daz2020 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    zakary said:
    Dear Readers,

I took out an insurance policy with this company last year. I paid for it through a comparison website and it came up with "insure your motor." I never realized this was just the broker until I had an accident in February this year.

It was a minor incident where I reversed into a car at less than 5mph. He was already close behind me so the impact was minimal. I called my insurance company (insure your motor) who redirected me to XS Direct. This is the first time I heard of them.When I called them they informed me that I had an all section excess of £3000 which meant I was liable to pay up to this sum which I never realized.

They than called me a few days later saying the other party was claiming for injury so they sent someone to investigate my car and take pictures.

I did not hear from them again until this week (3 months later). They said they posted a letter to me (which I never received) so they emailed me on Thursday stating it was the last date of payment for the full £3000. I was shocked! I was abroad so I called them on my return on Friday. They agreed to give me another 2 weeks to sort out the payment, but advised if I paid before the end of the month they could give me a 10% discount which I found quite strange.

I asked them to send me a break down of the charges thinking I was paying for injury compensation but when they sent me the breakdown the total amount was all for repair works carried out on the car. I think they have made all of this up! But not sure what to do...Do I have to pay? Is there any way around this? Anyone else dealt with this company before? Pls help!
    I'm personally having the exact same issue with XS Direct right now. I nudged someone late December 2019, took photos of the damage and done everything by the book. When I met up with the investigator, I'd already known I had a £3000 excess on the policy, but the damage to both vehicles was minimal. My own was not even scratched and the damage on the other vehicle was not correlated with the size or shape of my own vehicle. I reported this incident to police and the insurance company, broker being Insure Your Motor and also a finance company Close Brothers too, so 3 different companies involved in 1 single policy cover. After meeting with the investigator, I had explained I thought this was a classic cut in front scam, as another car cut the vehicle in front of me up, passing 5 lanes of traffic leading to a motorway and also back city bound where I lived. To me it was like something from a dash cam scam show so i reported it all to police and XS Direct right away telling them everything and showing the photos i had taken of the damage to both cars. Like i said mine was not damaged at all and the other was old damage, and in no way matched the size nor shape of the front of my car. They met with me on a Friday, on the following Monday, 3 days later, i received an email saying the claim had been settled. No personal injury just a damage claim. They still, to this day, have not told me how much the claim was settled for but i only found out when trying to get insured again via another company. The cost was £9800 for a simple damage claim that did not match the incident. Now I cannot get insurance for my car which is an essential to me, the only company that will insure me is XS Direct again but only if I pay the £3000 excess up front. I was willing to take another policy with them in order to pay the installments and also pay off the excess in one single monthly payment option, but now they have put a block on me from getting insurance from anywhere else, as every other company I have tried and that's over 35 within the past 2 days, keep referring back to XS Direct and say thats my only option. For one, I'm disgusted that XSD never told me the cost of the settled claim and I had to find out from another company. Now my only option for insurance is with XSD again but to do so I have to pay the £3000 up front first before they will open another policy. I was wondering if there is anything I can do, being the uncorralated damage, the reports on the day of the incident, the weekend it took for them to swiftly settle the claim and now it all has me with zero option of using another company for insurance leaving me without transport that I need to visit and care for my father who's a pensioner and not very well as the accident took place 23rd December 2019 and my mother passed away the day after, Christmas Eve! XSD have left me in a no option position bar paying the £3000 and taking up another policy with them again. This has got to be somewhat wrong, in someway there has to be foul play on their behalf. What I see it as is institutional extortion at it's best! If theres anything I can do I would appreciate some advice.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why are XS direct the only Insurer available to you?
    Is it a fast car or do you have a previous record of convictions / accidents?
  • Daz2020
    First Post
    Options
    Previous accidents that's all. I've mailed the claims manager who I had been dealing with telling him I found this complaint very similar to mine. After settling the claim, I had to find out by another insurance company the cost of the settlement and still cannot contact any department of XSD bar the direct email address for the claim manager. Even the phone number passes me to a finance company so it's impossible to speak to a relevant person regarding this issue. I would be willing to take another policy with XSD if they allowed me to add payments of the £3000 excess on top of a policy but they are adamant so far they want the full amount before they will open me another policy. This alone is stopping me from getting a policy with other insurers as I've spent the past 2 days trying over 35 companies who keep referring back to XSD. They knew about the other incidents as I declared them on the issue of the policy so I don't understand why they wont allow me to repay the £3000 and have a policy back with them, instead of making me pay the excess first but still willing to issue me another policy after it is paid in full. I dont understand it at all, and especially when I contact the numbers I was given for them, I'm directed to either Insure Your Motor or the other finance company Close Brothers. After seeing this comment, it raised alot if questions for myself and it all does seem like there is something wrong with the way this is and has been handled. If XSD want full payment of the excess even after the claim settlement, I wouldnt expect them to insure me again although they said they will IF the excess is paid in full first. To me, it just does not make sense.
  • Daz2020
    First Post
    Options
    The car I have is a 1.4 petrol Seat Ibiza also so not a fast nor modified car at all, I just need a policy to be able to drive it on the road. I bought it Jan this year and policy was cancelled by Insure Your Motor in March so only last month yet the owed payment of one months insurance is now costing me £957, which has already been passed to yet again another collection company so now nothing to do with IYM nor XSD. That's two different debts to different companies which I simply cannot afford. I've offered a repayment figure to the other collection company for the £957 so waiting on them getting back to me. It's the policy that is most important as if I cannot get a policy for my car, i need to pay for public transport at least once per day which is £8+ return from my address to my fathers and back. I cant pay that and sometimes need to go down twice per day which is leaving me well below living means as I am on benefits. (XSD and IYM also knew this)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback