PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 July 2019 at 6:35PM
    Options
    Glad to hear of your excellent recovery, Save Dosh! Pretty much back to normal here too, I'm delighted to report.

Another £6 spent... couldn't resist more of those excellent strawberries & raspberries, needed some ordinary mushrooms, and somehow failed to turn down the offer of 5Kg of Jersey Royals for £2. We haven't planted lots of spuds up at the allotment this year, so these will be a real treat even if we end up having new potatoes & potato salad with everything for a week! Might even pop a few into a grow-sack for some new potatoes at Christmas, though it's a little early for that.

Cranky40, I'l join you in posting meal-plans from time to time, mainly to remind myself to use up leftovers!

Tonight's tea is roast pork/nut roast, with - guess what? New potatoes! And leeks & broccoli. Both the pork & the spuds will reappear in a different guise later in the week & the girls will snack on the remains of the nut roast. (Yesterday's slow-cooked ham remains are earmarked to make a pasta dish tomorrow, although some, along with the cooking liquor, went into a "ham noodle" soup for my lunch today & for the next few days.) Dessert is freshly-made cherry ice-cream, using up the last of the cream left over from DD1's party last weekend, and cherries from the market on Friday; I've scoffed the rest!

ETA: Sorry, Jings, forgot to say, Jam Sugar is a Thing; just large crystals with added pectin, for the fruits that don't have much, like strawberries. Needless to say, it's more expensive than normal sugar! And if I'd had more strawberries to en-jam, I'd have used ordinary granulated sugar and a jar of my forgotten-&-recently-rediscovered 2017 crab apple jelly, which contains plenty of pectin. But with just two punnets of strawberries & a handful of raspberries, I'd have swamped the taste, hence using "special" sugar. It works!
    Angie - GC May 24 £162.50/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Morning y'all! First morning back in London and thank goodness it's cool. I can actually get a bit of work done in the place I'm staying versus having to rush out to find a caf! immediately. @thriftwizard thanks for explaining the jam sugar. I never knew they sold sugar with pectin included. I'm guessing I can make my own lower carb mix with a sugar replacement + pectin. I always want to make jams but can't have all the sugar.

Yesterday afternoon after dropping off my bags at the AirBnB I went out for lunch and then to the Waitrose in the neighbourhood to buy some food to last me the next couple of days.

£21.08 for 2x big bottles of water, strawberries, shredded ham hock, a small bottle of olive oil, a net of easy peelers/clementines, jarred tuna, can of sardines, can of beans, lemon, YS salad onions, bagged salad, parsley and some yoghurt.

TOTALS SO FAR:
    £215.16/£300 and €0/€200
    5/12 NSD

Soon after returning I made a salad from half the tuna, half the beans, some parsley, olive oil and salad onions. It'll be nice to have something cold to snack on the next couple of days; I ate some of it for breakfast this morning over some salad leaves.

Something that slightly annoyed me yesterday in the grocery store was the inability to buy just one of something. I couldn't buy just one shallot for my salad because they only sold them in bags. Same thing for the clementines; I only wanted 2 or 3 to carry with me around town for snacks and put in the fridge like CRANKY40's wonderful idea. I had to buy a net of them for £1.50 and will probably have to lug half of them to my next destination on my trip.

I also bought a £4 plastic lock and lock plastic food box there because I forgot to bring one from home. It won't count toward the GC for now. I cursed myself when I realized I'd forgotten it because I need another plastic container like I need a hole in the head! Oh well, this will see me through the trip whenever I want to take lunch or snacks out with me during the day or to have a picnic. Alright, back to work and have a good day everyone!
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sounds great Pip! I copy my DS's method and just nuke mine in the microwave for 2 minutes and dip corn chips or veg sticks in - such a lazy snack!

I suspected there may be a microwave method, but I've never seen it. Full power, I assume? I'll add it to the recipe.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    Pip
    Thank you to the folks that have commented on my intentions. It's about helping others see how to keep the grocery spend low while eating as well as possible I think. That's why we have the recipe index. In days gone by Pip's recipe would have been added to the index but I've no idea how it was done.....

Elsiepac maintains the recipe index, just as she does the thread. I think she's moving house at the moment, which is why she's rather quiet on the thread.

The rules re recipes are to put the name+"Recipe" in the post's title and then highlight the name of the recipe somewhere in the text, in an eye catching colour and text size. (Red usually works.) That way, Elsie will spot that it's a recipe and will add the recipe by linking post to the index.

- Pip (Hope that makes sense.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We have spent £8.93 since our last post.

£111.50/£200.
    £88.50 as left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,774 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 July 2019 at 7:39PM
    Options
    It makes perfect sense thank you Pip. This thread used to be maintained by at least two people so I wasn't sure if it was too much for Elsipac on her own to be updating recipes as well. It doesn't all have to be recipes either. It's just as interesting to see what people are doing with what they buy - the post by JingsMB is a great example. Obviously nobody has to do that but I'm there are some great ideas out there that are just begging to be shared. I work in a cafe and we talk a lot about food during the working day :D

Today's food :-

Breakfast - cereal for HT and toast for me

Lunch - school dinner for him and a beef and tomato (tomatoes grown by me) sandwich and a satsuma for me

Dinner - sausages from the butchers with hash browns and baked beans for HT, the rest of last night's chicken with hash browns (lazy) and cauli for me.

I would normally have broccoli with mine but the HT's best friend took the frozen broccoli home with her this time last week as it's her favourite thing and she said her mum had no money until Friday. I haven't replaced it yet as there's other stuff in the freezer that will do. I really wanted to make Save Dosh's mushrooms for lunch but I ran out of time due to having to go to work so that'll be tomorrow's lunch instead.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    I suspected there may be a microwave method, but I've never seen it. Full power, I assume? I'll add it to the recipe.

- Pip

I suspect the wattage of the microwave is crucial here - mine is either 800w or 750w - I undo the waxed paper, leaving it in the box (if it is a proper French one) and then put in on full power for a minute and a half, check and then another 30 seconds. I just make a hole on the top for the steam but don't add anything else.

I also have the Cornish small ones that are wrapped in plastic from Morries - these I think are 1.5 minutes but remember to put it in a dish or it might puddle if your oven is more powerful than mine or I have mis-remembered - maybe check these after a minute.

I don't add anything to it but I recommend the salty corn chips or carrots in batons dipped in. I love the idea of crusty bread but I don't normally eat bread so that would be a real treat!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Budgets and Recipes updated to here!

I have read all posts but as I think Pip mentioned, I am moving house at the moment and I'm very stressed out! I move in 9 days now, and of course I've hurt my back which isn't helping with stress!

Save Dosh I'm so glad you're recovering so well, so pleased for you!

CRANKY Well done for you and the HT being healthy - I'll try and start posting more of what I'm eating too, as I often forget that it's ok to just do that!!!

Jings Are you settled in ok now?

What I had yesterday

B: Porridge made with 200ml almond milk and 40g oats and my "homemade" iced latte which is a shot of espresso from the work machine poured over a glass of ice and alpr0 coconut milk "drink" - soo good and cheaper than c0st4 but not quite as exciting!

L: From the freezer (trying to use up as much as poss before move) a homemade "Italian Style" soup and two bread rolls! The soup was tomato based with lots of herbs and had onion, garlic, lots of courgette, barley, lentils and parsley and black kale and red wine vinegar.. one I made up!

D: 2 veggie burgers from the freezer on top of a portion of warm pasta salad
    The pasta salad was roasted courgette, aubergine and baby plum tomatoes, wholewheat twirly pasta, a tin of sweetcorn and a tin of chickpeas, and a lot of raw spinach torn up, drizzled with lemon, chilli and mint oils. I have the pasta salad for lunches today and tomorrow as well.

Today I will eat:

B: 2 rolls with butter and one of my iced latte (so posh name for what it is haha)

L: Aforementioned pasta salad

D: From the freezer - sweet potato and chickpea stew and I'll steam some broccoli to go with it

Tomorrow I will eat:

B: Porridge (40g oats, 200ml almond milk)

L: Same pasta salad

D:Some kind of salad as I have tons of cucumber to use!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning,
    I've just popped in to update my total but after reading through the last few posts would like to add my fairly loose meal plan. I'm not good at posting recipes as mine are mainly "a shake of this and a few pinches of that" variety.
    Anyroad up, this is what me and the DS3 will mainly be eating this week :

Tuesday: Baked chicken thighs with mange tout and new potatoes from the allotment, carrots
    and green beans

Wednesday: Pie made with a filling of root veg which I made a couple of months ago and stuck in
    the freezer, with new potatoes and frozen peas or baked beans

Thursday: Omlette with new potato wedges and tomatoes for me, baked beans for DS3

Friday: I'm going to ask DS3 to cook one of his stir fries, he is a good cook

Saturday: Tuna salad.(with new potatoes)

Sunday: We are visiting DS2, so will eat at his house or go out to the local pub for
    lunch

I have toast or porridge for breakfast, DS3 has toast or Weetabix. We usually have sandwiches for lunch, mainly cheese and/or whatever else is in the fridge. Snacks are, crisps, fruit and chocolate biscuits. Puddings are usually fruit and ice cream (non-dairy for him). I sometimes make a proper pudding like fruit crumble or cake at the weekend. YS cakes and puddings are a treat

When I was a youngmum with more people to feed, I used to go to the supermarket first then do a meal plan depending on what was on offer that week and did more baking. It is all more relaxed now,.
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £323.97/1200
  • PipneyJane
    edited 16 July 2019 at 1:34PM
    Options
    Thanks for updating the budgets, etc, Elsiepac. I hope your back eases up and stops hurting, and that the move goes well.

I have a couple of spends to declare from Sunday: £6.40 at the Farm Shop for fresh veg (carrots, potatoes, spring onions, broccoli and broad beans), and £8.55 in MrT's.

These bring our GC spend so far to £96.08/£120, leaving £23.92 for the remainder of the month.

I will have a spend to declare for last night, but I don't have the details with me. All I know is that DH scored two Gammon Roasts in MrT's, at £1.25 each (down from £4).

Dinner last night was my version of the BBC's Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Pasta, using leftover gammon, a tablespoon of English Mustard Powder and 300ml of low fat creme fraiche (instead of the double cream). I also used an entire (500g) bag of Value penne, so it made 6 portions instead of the advertised 4.

Somehow, I managed to get tonight's dinner into the slow cooker before I left for work this morning: a half-shoulder of lamb, accompanied by the aforementioned broad beans, half-a-dozen wizened carrots (chunked), 4 potatoes (halved), some ancient green peppers (sliced), 3 dodgy looking courgettes from our garden (I think they had blossom-end rot, which I cut off), mushrooms, a sliced onion and a sprinkling of pearl barley. Oh, and about a pint of chicken stock, made with boiling water and a stock cube.

Lunches are leftovers for both me and DH, while breakfast for me is my cereal mix (half bran flakes, half "Maple and Pecan Crunch") plus skimmed milk, over which I scatter a tablespoon of sunflower seeds for the protein. DH eats porridge when he gets to his office.

- Pip

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure