Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

July 2019 Grocery Challenge - Page 15

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

July 2019 Grocery Challenge

edited 19 June 2019 at 11:44AM in Old Style MoneySaving
171 replies 15K views

Replies

• edited 21 July 2019 at 4:42PM
    elsiepacelsiepac Forumite, Board Guide
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 July 2019 at 4:42PM
    August GC Now Live! CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Jan 20 £tbc/£250
    Vegan 27-8-13
  • elsiepacelsiepac Forumite, Board Guide
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    5h*t's gettin' real now - FOUR DAYS until I move house. Mildly terrified and in a constant state of panic at this point! Feeling very overwhelmed and I'm very glad I'd been decluttering loads last year and earlier this year, and that I'd sold a lot of furniture and other stuff. Also that I've been doing bits as I go along!

I've been very carefully not buying too much in the way of groceries and have successfully managed to plan to pretty much empty the freezer and fridge before moving - this was today's final batch cook in this house to use up all veg and all ingredients in freezer. Just ice and ice cream and some herbs left in there which is fine by me. Also by doing this it means I just need to reheat this week so I can pack up most of the kitchen now without worrying I'll need something.

It's lentils with roasted veggies, Thai veg and chickpea curry with rice, and a random thing to use up mince peas and carrots! - It's onion, garlic, carrots, herbs, vegan mince, tinned tomatoes, gravy granules and petit pois. May have with some pasta or on toast!

IMG-6213.jpg

IMG-6214.jpg
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    Vegan 27-8-13
  • CRANKY40CRANKY40 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭

I'll be joining the thread again in august. I hate to say it but if you trying to lose weight have you thought about cutting bread down, you have it a lot. I was big.. maybe try egg and soldiers for breakfast, salad for lunch then whatever for dinner but nearly a full plate of veg or salad I think you'll see results quick.

Thanks but I've just started running again so that wasn't really a typical day, it was an "I'm so hungry from exercise" kind of day. It'll settle down in a week or so. Once I'm back into my usual running pattern I start cutting out the carbs and concentrating on protein.

We've been out and about the last couple of days. I took the HT to McDonalds on Friday because we had some strange news from school - they agreed to test him for dyscalculia and the test has come back positive. I've been making a noise about his lack of maths ability for ages (since junior school) and finally we have the reason. I'm glad that we have a diagnosis but I feel like we've been let down a bit. He's top of his year in English and doing well in other subjects so the McDonalds was a bit of a treat to say sorry it's taken so long.....

Yesterday we went to a friend's party once I'd finished work. All the food was beige :rotfl:

So, todays meals were :-

Breakfast - cheese and bacon toastie for the HT, bacon and egg toastie for me

Lunch - ham and ketchup roll with 3 mini sausage rolls and a small square of home made brownie for HT, none for me as I was at work

Dinner - roast chicken breast, roast potatoes, carrots, yorkshire pudding and gravy for HT, same for me but minus yorkshire pudding and plus sprouts (I really love sprouts)

Supper - mini ham wrap and a packet of crisps (french fries) for HT, probably just a packet of crisps (pom bears) for me.
  • edited 22 July 2019 at 9:44AM
    elsiepacelsiepac Forumite, Board Guide
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 July 2019 at 9:44AM
    Morning all

No shopping for me for the next few days, today's meals are:

Today
    B: Toast with spread and Marmite
    L: Lentils with roast veggies
    D: Mince thing with (probably) pasta and steamed broccoli and courgettes

I'll also raid the office fruit basket!

Planned for next days to use up last of my stuff:

Tuesday
    B: 1/2 portion of mince thing on toast
    D: Sweet potato and chickpea stew

Wednesday
    B: 1/2 portion of mince thing on toast
    D: Thai veg and chickpea curry with rice

Last day at work today for a couple of weeks, yay! Move Thursday... all the stress lol

SPC No 074
    Vegan 27-8-13
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope the move goes Ok elsiepac. It's such hard work.

The HT and I have just been to the gym. I thought he'd change his mind when it was actually time to go but he didn't and I'm happy. No shopping - I have work from 12 until 4pm. Today's meals are

Breakfast - cereal for the HT, banana on toast for me

Lunch - ham and cheese roll, 3 mini sausage rolls and a home made brownie for HT, couscous, fruit and yogurt for me (yes I know it sounds odd but it tastes fine and suits me better than overnight oats)

Dinner - meatballs and pasta in tomato and basil sauce for HT, home made pasta salad for me (chicken cooked yesterday same time as dinner, bacon, pasta, sweetcorn, petit pois and salad).

Supper - ham and cheese mini wrap for HT, beef mini wrap for me.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • K9sandFelinesK9sandFelines Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't managed to post at all yet, so thought I'd be up to my budget. So far I have managed to come under, including two birthday cakes (one vegan and one not). However, with nine days left til the end of the month, we will be lucky to make it under by then I think.

I will check in again at the end of the month with final spends.
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 £3,053.51 GC 2020 Jan (absent) Feb £340.16/£320 Mar £363.25/£350 Apr £272.62/£350 May £539.46/£350 Jun £439.60/350 Jul/£436.50 Aug/£387.83/400 Sep £259.27/£400 Oct £198.15/£400
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Matron_MidgeMatron_Midge Forumite
    640 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Declaring July at £399.70/£400.
    Phew only just made it!
    See you on the August thread.
  • Merlin's_BeardMerlin's_Beard Forumite
    511 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Good luck with the house move elsiepac.

Cranky, if the HT is doing that well without the proper support he's done pretty good!

It has been - generally - an awful month, for people around me more than me. So I haven't really paid too much attention to the food budget until now. I've just had a clear out of the fridge and thrown away a lot of stuff - really unusual for me, and I feel a bit bad about it, but the plans just kind of went to pot and so did the fridge.

I've just done what hopefully should be my last shop of the month - with a lot of cookingonabootstrap recipes and dragging dregs out the freezer, I'm hoping my total will be £100.23.

That's fudging the scoresheet a LOT though - there is a lot of stuff that I've run out of and need to stock up on.
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭

Cranky, if the HT is doing that well without the proper support he's done pretty good!

Thanks but that's mainly why I kept mentioning it and why he should have been tested earlier. If his lack of maths ability was matched by a similar level of ability in all other subjects it wouldn't be a cause for concern but when a child who is top of his school year in English presents with a total lack of ability in maths then it's a problem.

He can't tell the time if it isn't a digital clock (he can read the numbers off a digital clock but still has no real understanding of the 24 hours in a day thing). Part of me is relieved and part of me wishes somebody had sone something when the first problems started in year 3 (he's just finished year 9). I'm feeling like a bit of a failure to be honest for not making a bigger fuss sooner.
  • thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    3.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've lost the plot again - I know I'm well over-budget now but have no idea how much! Three birthdays in one month had just about emptied the spice rack... so there have been a few dashes up to the supermarket for one thing or another, receipts have gone awol, and one or two inhabitants seem to have forgotten than wine, even on special offer, is still wine we didn't actually need!

Ah well, we'll miss them when they're finally independent... anyway, August is another month, with just one family birthday (OH) so, onwards & upwards...
    Angie

GC Oct 20 £380.66/450
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 35 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)