Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

July 2019 Grocery Challenge - Page 17

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

July 2019 Grocery Challenge

edited 19 June 2019 at 10:44AM in Old Style MoneySaving
171 replies 15K views

Replies

• edited 27 July 2019 at 7:10PM
    Save_DoshSave_Dosh Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 27 July 2019 at 7:10PM
    Hi everyone, hope your having a lovely w/e. Spent £9.81 on apricots, plums, lemons, mushrooms, courgettes, tomatoes and parsley. Also bought chickpeas and crackers and 3 packs of Vbites Vegan sausage rolls in Holland & Barrett, reduced to 49p, good for the freezer. Gonna make an oil free houmous with the chickpeas. The guy on the veg stall gave me a carrier bag stuffed full of parsley, instead of 2 bunches and also added a couple of beefsteak tomatoes, the size of tennis balls - i kid you not 'el complimento' - lol ...... it was a nice gesture and it didn't seem appropriate to say I don't use plastic bags, but what the frig am i going to do with all that parsley. Might make a large batch of pesto n freeze, ready to be added to pasta and keep some in water.

Have updated my total. That's me done for July. Total £49.49 - will add the remainder - £30.51 to bulk fund. See you over in August.

Elsie - hope the move went ok.
    August GC - Food £55.56/£80 Alcohol £17.24/£20
    Bulk Funds - Food £19.73 -
    Save 12k in 2019 £1,300/£5,000 - #155
  • just_tryingjust_trying Forumite
    1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    Thanks but that's mainly why I kept mentioning it and why he should have been tested earlier. If his lack of maths ability was matched by a similar level of ability in all other subjects it wouldn't be a cause for concern but when a child who is top of his school year in English presents with a total lack of ability in maths then it's a problem.

He can't tell the time if it isn't a digital clock (he can read the numbers off a digital clock but still has no real understanding of the 24 hours in a day thing). Part of me is relieved and part of me wishes somebody had sone something when the first problems started in year 3 (he's just finished year 9). I'm feeling like a bit of a failure to be honest for not making a bigger fuss sooner.

I sympathise, my daughter is dyslexic. I had a ahem argument with the primary head teacher as she said my dd was fine had no problems. She was completely different to my other two. She was tested eventually and I was told she was very good at covering it! The head teacher decided to remove her additional support which other teachers didn't agree with, I found this out during parents evening. Cue meeting and me not happy. She does like maths but not 100% she works thing out different.

She's good with digital clocks, reading normal she can but if she can get away with it she'll avoid it, like what's the time again. If she's given lot of work she struggles. She loves drawing etc, computer things. That's her and she's 15 nearly 16. It is hard but I wish you both the best.
  • CRANKY40CRANKY40 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you just trying. He's good at computer stuff too. He has no problem with the binary numbers etc that he needs for computing but if you give him a word maths problem he has no idea what to do.
  • flubberyzingflubberyzing Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have JUST come in under budget for July. £68.35/£70. I think I might have gone over, as I'm pretty sure there might be a receipt or two that I forgot about.

I've had a bit of a naughty month, buying icecreams and things I wouldn't normally. I'm working for the whole of August however, so there's less time for distraction and spontaneous shopping trips.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon All

I’m declaring for July. We’re finishing the month £4.28 over budget. We did two shops today, £8.50 at the farm shop and £3.19 at MrT’s, bringing our total spend for July to £124.28/£120. There were a couple of unnecessary items in the shop: a chilli plant (£2.50) and some spring onions (£1.00) that I missed my DH adding to the farm shop (we had spring onions at home, so didn’t need them). Still, too late now.

Food wise, we’ve basically picnicked for the last week. Wednesday at the Test Match we ate a load of deli-items from M&S - paid for by the Date Night budget - while I did cook a chicken dish on Thursday, because I didn’t think the chicken would keep any longer. (It was defrosted in the fridge on Sunday.). We’ve lived off that for main courses for the last two days.

Dinner tonight is roast leg of lamb; one of two bought for half price after Easter and then frozen. I’ll also do roast potatoes and roast carrots (parboil first). Our very kind next-door neighbour gave us a load of peas from her garden which we’ll have along side the roast.

My shopping list for next month feels like it’s already half written. After years of restocking wards, operating theatres and stationery cupboards, I run an impress system for most of the dried goods and tins: frequently it’s one in the store cupboard, one in the designated airtight storage container. When the container needs re-filling, it gets filled by the one in the store cupboard and then gets added to the shopping list. So far on the list, I’ve got instant coffee, muscovardo sugar, pasta and cans of tomatoes, sweet corn, 3-bean salad, butter beans. There’s also toiletries.

- Pip

PS: Elsiepac, hope the move went well.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 47/66 coupons spent. 19 remain.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • K9sandFelinesK9sandFelines Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've blown the budget this month, due to having to purchase some g.f stuff again.

I have just done a fortnightly shop of heavy stuff from Aldi as Well, so might have otherwise come on target. This should last me into August, at least a week or so.
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 £3,053.51 GC 2020 Jan (absent) Feb £340.16/£320 Mar £363.25/£350 Apr £272.62/£350 May £539.46/£350 Jun £439.60/350 Jul/£436.50 Aug/£387.83/400 Sep £259.27/£400 Oct £267.84/£400
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    Thank you just trying. He's good at computer stuff too. He has no problem with the binary numbers etc that he needs for computing but if you give him a word maths problem he has no idea what to do.

To be fair, I’d struggle with a word maths problem, too, and I’m an Accountant! I hated those things at school. I believe there is a methodology you can learn by rote in order to deconstruct the damn things and put them into an equation, but there’s no logic to them in my mind. Once in the equation, the rest was easy.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 47/66 coupons spent. 19 remain.
  • thrifty-hayleythrifty-hayley Forumite
    120 posts
    I'm done for the month. I lost my last receipt *doh* so don't know the exact amount so I'm rounding my total spend for the month up to £50 It was slightly less than that but that'll teach me to look after my receipts better!
    #84 Make £2020 in 2020 challenge
    Grocery Challenge January £0/£80
  • dan958dan958 Forumite
    674 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    July has now finished. My results are £50.48 out of a budget of £120.

Onto the August thread.
  • CRANKY40CRANKY40 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've finished for the month at £260.80/£300. Goodness knows what August will be like - it's the school holidays. Fingers crossed I can still stick to budget as we are doing healthy eating....