PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What products do you miss?

Options

Comments

• electric_comperella
    Options
    Anyone remember the Footso? A piece of string with a plastic ring measuring about 6" across on one end, and a tennis ball on the other. You'd put the ring on one leg (round your ankle) and repeatedly swing the ball round in a big circle so that you could jump over the string with the other leg. My sister loved those.

I remember those too but didn't remember them being called footso....probably because I had some generic version from the indoor market ;) x
  • victoriana
    Options
    Kunzle cakes. Mum bought these from the Baker when I was a child, many many years ago.

I think they had a pastry base, then different coloured sponge cake and I think it had icing on the top. They were the size of a custard slice.

Haven't seen them in many years but they were delicious, it might be they were a Midland thing.

Candlelight x
    Asda are now selling chocolate cakes something similar to the chocolate Kunzle cakes. I miss them too.
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I miss Frizzets, a savoury pancake. It came in a box and was mixed with water and cooked in a frying pan, had onion salt in to give it the flavour.
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    oldhaggis wrote: »
    I love this thread. It brings back so many memories.

I recall the comics and magazines I read at various stages throughout my childhood and teens, most of which only had colour covers and the odd colour inside pages. I remember Playhour, Jack and Jill, The Beano (still going strong), The Dandy, Bunty, Judy, Jackie, Honey, 19, Fab208 (the Radio Luxembourg magazine).

There was one comic called Lady Penelope based on the heroine of the Thunderbirds TV series, who swanned around in a pink chauffer driven Rolls Royce. I remember getting a free ring which had a pink plastic “stone” with a raised P embossed on it and the following week there was a red plastic hair band with a P cut out of the front and a feather inserted behind the cut out P. I think you were meant to see things in X ray form through it.

I also remember the fragrances of the 60s and 70s. There was Kiku in the yellow spray bottle, the original Charlie fragrance and the exotic Aqua Manda range, which was regularly advertised on Radio Luxembourg. If we were broke as students we used to buy tiny cheap bottles of apricot scent from Woollies. I think it was from the their budget Baby Doll range for teenagers. The artwork for the range was very “flower power” and the logo was a girl with long black wavy hair and big eye lashes. There was also the original 60/70’s Biba makeup in stylish black containers with the gold Biba logo on them, which I think was sold at Dotty P’s. This was the nearest that we lowly provincials could get to the trendy world of swinging London.

I remember all those magazines. Playhour was the first comic that I ever had. I think my favourite was Bunty. I used to love the cut out doll on the back, and the cut out clothes you could hang on the doll. I used to keep all of the clothes, as, if you were lucky, there'd be another week where the dolls limbs were drawn on the same way, and you could use the clothes again, to create new combinations of outfits! :rotfl:

I used to like the free badges they gave away in Jackie, the ones where you could cut out a picture of your favourite pop star and put it in the badge. On a Wednesday, if there was a free badge in that week's Jackie, everyone at school would be wearing it.

I thought I was very grown up when I went on to Fab208. It always seemed very trendy!

I got a bottle of Aqua Manda for Christmas one year. I used to go around reeking of oranges! There was also the lemon version, Aqua Citra

Does anyone remember the clothes shop, Martin Ford? I always used to buy something from there when we went to Romford
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • horseygambler
    Options
    Unable to purchase Symingtons Table Cream - used to buy this from Morrisons to use in my trifles. Strawberry flavour was a family favourite. Now having to buy blancmange instead and such a waste as my family only want the strawberry flavour - the rest in the packet are consigned to the bin (.ie the other flavour.This has only happened in the last year so wondering if the original firm has gone belly up or just stopped making it.
  • savetosave
    Options
    I have never found Stardrops in shops near here!!! Keep reading about how fab it is, but can't find it anywhere!!!!

I got mine from Wilko's.
  • girojim
    Options
    Fabuloso Spanish Brandy which Asda used to stock but don't seem to now
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have never found Stardrops in shops near here!!! Keep reading about how fab it is, but can't find it anywhere!!!!

Often in B & M, but you need to stock up when they have it.

They also have Acdo washing powder! My mother used to swear by it. :D
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dibs. Children from other areas used to call them 'five stones' but to us that was an entirely different game played with five stones and a ball. Dibs were little cubes of coloured chalky stuff and you played by tossing them up a little way and catching them on the back of your hand. There were a series of moves which seemed to vary from region to region. We used to sit on the kerb and play on the pavement which meant lots of skinned knuckles. My Dad promised me a 2/6d book token if I ever beat him. I never did.

When I was a child there was a fashion for shoes with ankle straps. I coveted a pair of these but was doomed to disappointment. Clarks or StartRight were the only shoes my mother would allow. Actually, thinking back to my tree-trunk legs she probably did me a favour.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • poppycracker
    Options
    I loved Pacers. Gutted when they disappeared. Also Wall's Arctic Circles - they did come back briefly in the late 90s I think but they never tasted the same.

And what on earth has happened to Tizer? Tastes like weak fizzy squash now....
    DFW Nerd no 239.....Last Personal Debt paid off Nov 2012!
    Donated 50 pints so far.... gold badge got 17/11/13! Blood Group O+
    mummy to 3 cats, 2 budgies and a cockatiel
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family