PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Used up 2 lemons that have been in the fridge since early December to make lemon cake with more lemon and less sugar than the recipe said. Worked fine in a loaf tin lined with paper liner (I know this because I took some for my lunch today!). I invited a neighbour's daughter to come and make cordial with me next Friday so the frozen elderflowers and more lemons will get used. Just deliberating whether to add vodka to some but I might wait until Spring and just make cordial for now (some to the neighbour, some for us and some for DS, who loves it!)

Out of the freezer - large slice of frozen turkey, 2 chicken thighs, pack of butter and a bag of last summer's homegrown runner beans. Nothing in.

SL
    If you have more lemons than you need for cordial you could make limoncello - it's super easy and would be ready well in time for the warmer weather and lighter nights. I use this recipe from the BBC goofdood site http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1087/limoncello.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OUT
    Opened packet of king prawns
    peas
    two pieces of teabread
    A large smoked ham joint that never got cooked at Christmas.

In - nothing

I'm quite enjoying this challenge, my grocery bill for the month will be about one third what it should be. So I think I might treat DH and myself to a trip to the theatre with the savings. DD suggests either The Play that Went Wrong at the Duchess Theatre or Peter Pan Went Wrong at the Apollo. Has anyone seen either of these?
  • Rebelle
    Rebelle Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Frequent lurker/infrequent poster who has been inspired to join in!

I've lost some of my old-style ways & want to get them back, so this seems like a good place to start! My freezer has 4 drawers & they are all pretty full, mostly with ready meals & frozen pizza which I want to use up before I fill it again with batch-cooked home made ready meals... much healthier for me & also for my purse.

I've got a load of tinned tomatoes & various tinned beans in the cupboard (from when I used to cook!) but don't want to do a batch cook yet as I don't have any freezer space... which is where this thread comes in!

Have made some efforts in the past week or so, encouraged by reading along with you all... as a singleton I keep bread in the freezer & have used up a seeded loaf having cheese on toast for lunch every day... this stops me spending best part of a fiver on a toastie & a latte at the cafe at work too, so win win!

Also had a couple of pasta readymeals out of there & some Mexican bean burgers & frozen burger buns... oh & some Ben & Jerrys, that was a chore to get rid of! ;) I haven't managed to clear a full drawer yet tho, so this is my aim, as they I can start batch cooking & reduce my cupboard stocks too.

I've made a conscious effort when shopping over the past week to only buy essentials, nothing on a whim! So far I've only bought milk, cheese & fresh fruit & want to keep this going & not buy anymore main meal stuff until I've used up what I have. I'm out a lot, up to 5 nights a week & this often includes eating out, so progress might be slow but I'm determined!
    Pax Et Bonum
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Extra out this evening - lentil and banger stew. There wasn't quite enough curry:D

Out for tomorrow:

2 x Beef in Red Wine, 1 x sausage roll, 1 x Blueberry Muffin.

2 precooked rice will come out tomorrow evening. There will be nothing to return:T
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Zafiro, I saw Peter Pan went wrong on TV (live audience) and it was hilarious. The play that went wrong is supposed to be brilliant and I hear sells out fast. I'd go see that and download Peter Pan Went Wrong from iPlayer.

Welcome rebelle!

Well! So much for planned pie. Had work (to be told I'm !!!! essentially) then because the boiler man was off sick I helped at mum and dad's again, picked up boy and carried on at mum and dad's. Didn't get home until late so it was egg, chips and veg. It meant I got rid of the last of the onion rings on the boy at least. He also finished the mince pies and I had the last scone. In my mood I'd rather finish the gin, but that's not a good idea!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    OUT
    Opened packet of king prawns
    peas
    two pieces of teabread
    A large smoked ham joint that never got cooked at Christmas.

In - nothing

I'm quite enjoying this challenge, my grocery bill for the month will be about one third what it should be. So I think I might treat DH and myself to a trip to the theatre with the savings. DD suggests either The Play that Went Wrong at the Duchess Theatre or Peter Pan Went Wrong at the Apollo. Has anyone seen either of these?

My son went to see the play that went wrong last night, he described it as very slapstick but good fun.
  • Purple_kitten
    Options
    Out of the freezer: 2 chops, 4 sausages and a chicken pie.

In: some leftover chicken in a tub.
  • Caspercat84
    Options
    hi everyone... just discovered this thread. it is exactly what im doing right now. im actually challenging myself to find new meals with what I have in and what not. I am actually loving it and in a strange way I will be a bit sad when I have empty cupboards and a freezer as I will know what is in there (as I will have to restock obviously), although it will stop me food hoarding! especially as I have a kitchen the size of a postage stamp and every time I opened the cupboard, tins and packets kept flying out!

have had a look in the freezer and I have some frying steak in the freezer, which im going to do with the remaining peppers I have in the fridge and some fajita seasoning from the many packets I have in the cupboard!!

got loads of ready brek and Weetabix to keep me going for breakfasts and some frozen fruit! glad to see im not the only one starting the year with a frugal food challenge!!!
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Need some F&V and milk today. Must stick to plan and not give in to the need to refill cupboards and freezer.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all, ds really poorly with a gastrointestinal infection so it's delayed my pantry stock take. Did manage to draw up list of frozen foods and omg I was shocked at (1) how much food was in there and (2) how much I thre away due to freezer burn/length of time things had been in freezer

Bought a couple of packs of frozen chicken burger for ds in the hope I might be able to get him to eat a little, downloaded a pantry app which I need to add these too

Hoping for some quite time later so I can do same with my cupboards
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure