Is my mom charging too much?

Options
Hi, so I am currently working part time and studying with the OU. I earn £700 a month and my mom takes £250 in board (reduced from £350), on top of that I have over £200 of my own bills to pay. I'm a bit annoyed as she has started asking me to pay bills out of my own money, is that not what board is for? I'd like to add that as I'm studying with the OU, I'm not entitled to a Student loan, so I don't have any extra money.

Do you think this is fair? And before anyone says "wait until you have your own place" I most likely will have graduated by then and have a full time job.

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    What we think is fair or not doesn't matter.....it's what you and your mum agrees is fair that matters.

Have a chat with her about what your board covers and agree a figure ....but remember it doesn't matter what bills you have personally.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does your mum need that contribution from you?

Your own bills of £200 sound quite steep, too.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not enough information for full consideration.

However, from what you've posted to far:

- mum's house, mum's rules is the general principle

- having to spend roughly one third of your income on housing/living costs is nothing unusual

- why do you have £200 of other bills if you are a student living at home?

- you still have £250 a month free to spend. Plenty of people running their own households have less.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Wait until all your bills are personal, then you will understand
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    How much would it cost to rent an equivalent room as a lodger from a random stranger? This is a genuine question, not "you don't know when you're born" lecturing.

If it would cost more, then it's not too much and she's still doing you a favour, just not as big of one.

If it would cost less then you can tell her that she either charges market rate or you move.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is possible to get a student loan when studying with the OU http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/fees-and-funding#funding-options-tab.
    However the course you are undertaking may mean that you are not eligible.
    Other than that I would echo what the previous post says - talk to your mum. It may be that her circumstances have changed and she needs the extra money - especially as she has reduced the board by £100. As for "fairness" - well that is rather a subjective term. What are the bills she is asking you to pay for? If it is, for example, a broadband or tv package and she does not benefit from that (or would have a more basic package) then I think it is reasonable that you pay for that. Utilities such as gas/electric/water should be shared costs.
  • GreenQueen
    Options
    Just wondering how much your mum has as personal spends after paying bills? Is she creating hardship for herself by subsidising your living costs?

When I was a student, I did well if I finished a month in the black after bills and £250 a month would be wealth beyond belief - fortunately not now.

What are your extra bills - things just for yourself (e.g. phone, car) or household contributions?
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • Mica98
    Mica98 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've tried to talk but it always ends up being an argument so I feel stuck tbh
  • Mica98
    Options
    That's the thing, that extra £250 I have left is not really mine since she's having me pay bills with that. She wants me to cover electricity and do a weekly shop on top of that.
  • Mica98
    Options
    As I said in my post, by then, I will have graduated and have a full time job. Since I only have time to work part time, it seems like too much money at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure