Advent chat, tips & advice 2018

Options

Comments

• mclarkie
    mclarkie Posts: 11,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The "click 2 wins" will have to go, takes up way to much time.
  • Makeandsave
    Makeandsave Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I give up the 1st day of December to get the good ones sorted, Then 1 hour a day.
    Jan Wins: .
  • mummy2threeboys
    Options
    mclarkie wrote: »
    The "click 2 wins" will have to go, takes up way to much time.

I have never manged to do those, but after the new year when advents have stopped I will. Have you won anything from them if you don't mind my asking? I can imagine there are thousands of entrys!

I have been getting up at 6 and managing an extra 2 hours for the past 6 weeks, so that i can work my way through the normal day ones, i am mostly up to date with Decembers so far.

Either way good luck all, most of all have fun, if it;s not fun it's a chore..and I may as well be doing the housework which is obviously less rewarding..but still ;)
    Compers challenge 27/70
    £1805/2018
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have never manged to do those, but after the new year when advents have stopped I will. Have you won anything from them if you don't mind my asking? I can imagine there are thousands of entrys!

I used to do them regularly, but it became too much, so stopped after about a year of doing them.
    I did win quite a few decent prizes too, so in a way they are worth doing, but also, they are really time consuming and it did become a chore.

One of the things I am looking forward to though, is on FB regarding all the ones who do pretty well through the year, complaining that those who don't comp having a go and winning all the prizes. Never fails to amuse that one (although the posts do disappear so you have to be quick ;)
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • mummy2threeboys
    Options
    dontone wrote: »

One of the things I am looking forward to though, is on FB regarding all the ones who do pretty well through the year, complaining that those who don't comp having a go and winning all the prizes. Never fails to amuse that one (although the posts do disappear so you have to be quick ;)
    Be Lucky

Person enters competition correctly and wins..what a shocker :rotfl: Lots of people are only advent compers I guess because more people have time off over christmas and so see more comps in general, Good for them if they win, especially those who are down on their luck, a lovely boost before christmas making someone happy, that's lovely for me to see.
    Compers challenge 27/70
    £1805/2018
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Person enters competition correctly and wins..what a shocker :rotfl: Lots of people are only advent compers I guess because more people have time off over christmas and so see more comps in general, Good for them if they win, especially those who are down on their luck, a lovely boost before christmas making someone happy, that's lovely for me to see.

That's true. I don't mind people winning at all, good on them. But, I do object to those who do quite well, then object to others winning. It's like they think that they should have the monopoly over it all.
    It's greedy imo. And not in the spirit of things.
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • Autumnella
    Options
    Do you find you win more in December/January with all the extra time you have put in?

In December I find I don't have much time to enter comps at all. In past years I have bookmarked a few advents and went through them in my break but have barely had time to enter the normal comps.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 November 2018 at 10:57PM
    Options
    By the time these ones have been cut out

Hint/tip/recipe etc
    Free P&P/discounts etc
    Collect only physical prizes
    Event tickets without travel
    Hotel/Spa/meal etc without travel
    Prizes worth less than £50
    Competitions not from reputable/established companies
    Prizes simply not interested in

that has thinned them down by over 95% and it is easy to fit those that remain in without any effort (especially as some ordinary competitions simply rebrand/disappear/double-up during December).

(Think I had it down to about half a dozen to look at each day last year)

If it ever seems there are too many competitions, advents or otherwise, I just raise the bar so I am always entering the best available in the time I choose to allow.
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I used to stay up late religiously to get the Advents done, but last year I just did what I could and didn't stress about it. Worked so much better for me so I'll be doing that this year too. :)
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • Daphne01
    Daphne01 Posts: 22,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll be doing a couple if I feel like doing any.
    I just don't have the mental or physical energy to keep up with the main board never mind anything else and I'm not going to stress myself out worrying about it :)
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure