Asda Price Guarantee to close

Options
kerri_gt
kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
Have just had an email that Asda have decided to close their Price Guarantee from Oct 3rd :(

We want to let you know that we’ve decided to close the Asda Price Guarantee from 3rd October 2018.

When we’ve asked what our customers want us to focus on most the response has been clear - invest everything you can in everyday low prices. So, that’s what we’ve decided to do.

You can continue to check your shop on the Asda Price Guarantee website as normal until 3rd October, and you’ll have 28 days after you check to redeem your voucher.

If you'd like to learn more, you can read the full statment from our Chief Customer Officer Andy Murray.
Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
JAN NSD 11/16

Comments

• pumpkin89
    Options
    Given they are looking to merge with Sainsbury's, continuing to point out how much more expensive Sainsbury's is probably seemed like a bad move! Also, Tesco have removed Brand Guarantee and invested in lower prices, so Asda needs to follow suit if it's to maintain its position as lowest priced.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 September 2018 at 2:56PM
    Options
    I have just received the email.

I have been trying all day to check APG on my order that was delivered yesterday. I kept getting

"We seem to be having a few problems. Don't worry, the tech wizards are hard at work and we hope to be back up and running in no time. Please check back later to compare your shop."

On one occasion I could not even connect to https://www.asdapriceguarantee.co.uk/

[STRIKE]I did manage to perform successfully an APG check on a recent in-store basket.[/STRIKE]

I did manage to APG check a basket of shopping bought in-store on the same day as my delivery but in that case I APG checked it on the same day.

Perhaps everyone is making checks at the same time.

I shall miss APG as it more than paid for my annual midweek delivery pass.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    When will the big supermarkets learn, if you want to compete with the likes of Aldi and Lidl, bring the prices down to a reasonable level and up quality.

Nibbling at the things like the Asda brand match, which made people come to your store is not the way to do it.

After Waitrose removed thier 20% off certain products I have not been there for over 3 months.

We have all become price sensative these days.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    I have been trying all day to check APG on my order that was delivered yesterday. I kept getting

"We seem to be having a few problems. Don't worry, the tech wizards are hard at work and we hope to be back up and running in no time. Please check back later to compare your shop."

24 hours later the problem is persisting.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »

After Waitrose removed thier 20% off certain products I have not been there for over 3 months.

Same here, I'd use the 20% to stock up on things I wanted when they were on offer. Since the 'tailored voucher' I have bought 1 pouch of cat food as I happened to be passing through the store. Most vouchers they send me go straight in the bin as they do not make it worth a specific trip to store now.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, let me get this straight; as a result of keeping to customers wishes to keep prices low, they have decided to stop the price match that keeps prices at least as low as other stores.

I don't understand; why stop the price match? How does that help keep to the requests of lower prices? I'm confused.

(...Unless they're lying…)
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 September 2018 at 2:31PM
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight; as a result of keeping to customers wishes to keep prices low, they have decided to stop the price match that keeps prices at least as low as other stores.

Worse. They have dropped the guarantee to charge at least 10% less than the other major supermarkets on comparable baskets of groceries.
  • pumpkin89
    Options
    The Price Guarantee didn't keep prices on specific products as low as other stores. What it did is guarantee that your shop, as a whole, wouldn't cost more.

For example:
    Product A - Asda £1 Tesco £2
    Product B - Asda £1.50 Tesco £1

The total in Asda would be less than the total in Tesco, so the Price Guarantee was fulfilled, although you could have saved money by buying Product A in Asda and Product B in Tesco.

In removing the guarantee they are going to have to be sharper on individual product pricing, which will benefit most customers.
  • deutsch
    deutsch Posts: 398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is very disappointing. I wasn't one to scrounge for leftover receipts, but was one to visit mysupermarket and compare item prices to successfully get a voucher most of the purchases.
  • pumpkin89
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    When will the big supermarkets learn, if you want to compete with the likes of Aldi and Lidl, bring the prices down to a reasonable level and up quality.

Nibbling at the things like the Asda brand match, which made people come to your store is not the way to do it.

We have all become price sensative these days.

Aldi and Lidl combined have a market share of 13.1%, which is still considerably less than Asda at 15.2%. Yes, the big supermarkets need to keep their eye on the discounters, but primarily they are competing with each other.

With respect, I doubt Waitrose have particularly missed your custom if you were only buying the products with 20% off. There are still plenty of people who aren't that price sensitive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure