Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt

Options

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Frustrating news on the mortgage XSpender. Hard to see what they actually do to warrant such an exorbitant commission too.

I got told I couldn't afford my mortgage when I applied for a rate reduction. This was in spite of me overpaying by £200 per month for the previous 4 years. They make it up sometimes!

T:)

I think we would struggle with our current debt to get put on a new rate TBH.
    Good luck with finding some new work options XS :) .

Thanks. I am going to look at getting my CV professionally re-written. I see it as a career investment as I will be looking for a more senior role for more money. My current job is a bit odd, if we met at a party I would struggle to explain it, and want my CV to show my skills and experience rather than be pigeonholed or come across as neither one thing or another.

A vaccancy has come up at DH old employer, it is his dream job. He won’t apply (he didn’t get it last time as was given to the bosses mate and he won’t put himself through that again, it was the start of the last 2 years of work hell for DH) but is secretly hoping they approach him. Several old colleagues have approached him to let him know about it and ask him if he is going for it. He got given a finanacial reward yesterday from a senior manager for the work he has done at his new job so he is really pleased.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Do you need to continue with the Mortgage Broker? I have usually done my own research and arranged it myself (albeit not the last change of lender) - even managing the porting of my mortgage between houses and securing a climb-down when I was given incorrect info by the Branch. I know it is more rigorous now but having found a lender, could you not ditch and run if not response by Wednesday?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • XSpender
    Options
    Oops haven’t posted in a while :o

If I was ‘normal’ I probably would have done my own mortgage application but with DH been in his probationary period, Having had an IVA and needing a consol I wouldn’t know who to approach. Even next time when we will need to borrow less than 85% of the value and the IVA has been completed 10 years not every lender will consider us.

The good news is that I had our mortgage offer through this evening:D I’m still budgeting for October and November debt payments but hoping it will go through by the end of October.

In other news we have finished the bedroom and are just about straight in the other rooms and DH has fixed the pipe work behind the washer. The DPIL have chopped up the fallen tree:eek:

We used the CC to pay for the meal DH was awarded at work which will be repaid when he gets the money from work. We went £6 over budget but had a lovely meal and family time. DS had a wonderful time and it confirmed my intention to build into our new budget a bigger family fun budget so that we can eat out together once a month.
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Yay to finally getting the mortgage offer. must be a big relief!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Hurrah for the remortgage offer, that must be a relief.

On the job front, if the contract is re-let by the client in the same or broadly similar form then you might transfer under TUPE anyway?
  • XSpender
    Options
    Yay to finally getting the mortgage offer. must be a big relief!

I definitely feel more positive this morning.
    Hurrah for the remortgage offer, that must be a relief.

On the job front, if the contract is re-let by the client in the same or broadly similar form then you might transfer under TUPE anyway?

That has happened to other teams at my company but this one would just end. A colleague has spoken to the client who envisions changes but not an end to the contract but the budget discussions are still to happen so it may be out of their hands.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Oh that is great news. Well done you! What a relief. Fingers cross d it speeds through now
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • XSpender
    edited 28 September 2018 at 12:19PM
    Options
    Pay day for both of us today and DH again got his guaranteed bonus. Good job too as this is going to be a Tighty McTightFace of a month :eek: On my list/in YNAB so far are:

School trip
    School photos
    Rest of holiday spending money
    Meal and drinks for 2 nights away for DH and I (although I may be too exhausted to eat or drink much)
    A couple of bits needed for walk (head torches and gloves - cheapie from Decathalon)
    Stuff to fix shed to prevent water damage (suggest to DH to reuse what we can)
    Hair cut/colour for me
    Increased minimum payments to CC as all but 1 intro rate has now ended
    A cardigan for me and a hoodie for DH for our hols and possibly some flip flops for DS

I'm using my £2 savings towards the holiday spending money and will cash in the change pot too. I saved over £40 from TCB, TTs, energy refund and a dividend last month and am loathe to have this disappear into the account. It was saved to go towards paying off the 0% carpet loan by the end of Dec 19 which is one of the small balances we will be left with after the re-mortgage.

Hopefully November will be a quieter and cheaper month. Apart from Christmas prep of course, how did I manage to forget that!:eek:

I've done a meal plan for the month and have split my YNAB categories for groceries so I can see where we are overspending. This needs to be my focus this month as if we blow the food budget it will just end up increasing the debt and we will have less to put in the emergency fund when the re-mortgage goes through.

The mortgage company sent a copy of the valuation through and it was interesting to see that they believe the house would be worth more if some of the bigger maintenance jobs were done. We know we need a new boiler, new fascias/guttering, a garden overhaul, probably work on the roof and repairs to the conservatory. It has gone up nearly 10% in 2 years with what we have done so far which is minor repairs and maintenance jobs like exterior painting and a lot of cosmetic stuff like plastering, decorating, new furniture, curtains, light fittings, new light switches, door handles throughout, new flooring, kitchen makeover which has brought the house into this century. I think if everything was done it would be worth another £20k max and maybe another £15k more if we do the remodel at the back which doesn't seem worth it to add value but would be a more useable and modern family space. None of the big jobs will be done next year except the garden but we are going to do most of this ourselves as it just needs a cohesive design and lots of manual graft and we will use DH bonuses (if he gets some ;)) to have a new patio, steps and a path laid as there is no place to sit outside unless you put the table and chairs on the lawn. We may also need a couple of trellis or fence panels putting in as a screen, will depend on the design. We will need at least 1 skip if not 2, a small amount of turf, shed/fence paint and some good weather to get it all done!!
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    Fab news on the remortgage. Such a relief. Great to see how positive you are despite the uncertainties over your job etc. Well done you. You go girl!! Xx
  • XSpender
    Options
    Our washing machine thought it would be a good idea to catch fire on Saturday morning :eek: Not a huge fire but the end of the machine. We tried hard to find a decent second hand one in our area but missed out on a couple. On Sunday we went to a local clearance shop that sells Argos end of lines. The washer that we were looking at new was there but no cheaper but we did find a much better model, £90 cheaper than the other one and £400 cheaper than on line. It even has an internal light and is unbelievably quiet, I keep forgetting it is on. Unfortunately this has had to go on the CC as we had no other way of paying for it. Roll on having the funds to build an emergency fund.

There is still no decision about my project so I am going to go for the CV rewrite and start looking about. I will spend some time at the beginning of the week improving it and then give the company a call. This is going to have to go on the CC as well but I do not want to leave it a couple of months before I start to look. I hope it doesn't impact the mortgage offer but the balances will still be lower than when we made our application as we have made payments since then which has reduced the overall balance and this spending will be paid off when it goes through.

I have started to track the supermarket spends into different categories to see what we are wasting money on. DH has decided to cut out the booze until our holiday which will help his stress levels and our budget. I've also rejoined the grocery challenge.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family