Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• NeillB
    NeillB Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 March 2017 at 4:42PM
    Options
    Just spoke with Sky as Im just out of a 50% off offer but the first customer service agent couldnt do anything. Straight through to cancellations and told the Sky agent that Freeview is looking mighty inviting now. Also told him that I wasnt prepared to scale back on our package anymore. Offered me 50% off my existing package (my package is drama and documentaries with no sport or movies) on a 18 month contract but I have to pay a £10 admin fee!! The deal keeps it the same as I pay now (£19 per month). Think Il cancel tomorrow as I may have taken the 50% but Im not happy with the £10 admin fee or lengthy contract.

Anyone think this is a good deal?
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Shanti0912 wrote: »
    It doesn't seem as though Sky are doing any deals. Has anybody else found this or should I try again?

There are plenty of deals to be had. But as said on this thread numerous times, you actually need to cancel rather than call up for an offer or say you are going to 'look around'. That's when the best offers are forthcoming.
  • asturdy2
    asturdy2 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    NeillB wrote: »
    Just spoke with Sky as Im just out of a 50% off offer but the first customer service agent couldnt do anything. Straight through to cancellations and told the Sky agent that Freeview is looking mighty inviting now. Also told him that I wasnt prepared to scale back on our package anymore. Offered me 50% off my existing package (my package is drama and documentaries with no sport or movies) on a 18 month contract but I have to pay a £10 admin fee!! The deal keeps it the same as I pay now (£19 per month). Think Il cancel tomorrow as I may have taken the 50% but Im not happy with the £10 admin fee or lengthy contract.

Anyone think this is a good deal?

Rubbish deal, give your 31 days notice and you will get better, i got 60% on a rolling contract without even trying.
    3.64KW system, aurora power one inverter, South west facing with no shading in Lancashire.
  • NeillB
    Options
    asturdy2 wrote: »
    Rubbish deal, give your 31 days notice and you will get better, i got 60% on a rolling contract without even trying.

Youve just reinforced what I already knew. 60% is reasonable depending on what you got it off. Rolling contract? Can you elaborate abit on that please?
  • NeillB
    edited 19 March 2017 at 11:15PM
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    There are plenty of deals to be had. But as said on this thread numerous times, you actually need to cancel rather than call up for an offer or say you are going to 'look around'. That's when the best offers are forthcoming.

For your information I cancelled last year so I am more than familiar with this option. I wasnt "calling up for an offer". Cancelling is what I have intended to do the whole time anyway.
  • mije1983
    edited 20 March 2017 at 12:38AM
    Options
    For your information I cancelled last year so I am more than familiar with this option. I wasnt "calling up for an offer". Cancelling is what I have intended to do the whole time anyway.

For your information I think you should know that on a forum, replies aren't always to the post directly above (hence the option to quote a previous post). I wasn't replying to you, and the poster I clearly quoted stated:
    I told him I was going to look around for another provider and call back to cancel.

I am glad you are 'familar with this option' in regards to cancelling and that should stand you in good stead to negotiate a decent deal.
  • asturdy2
    asturdy2 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    Youve just reinforced what I already knew. 60% is reasonable depending on what you got it off. Rolling contract? Can you elaborate abit on that please?

rolling 1 month contract, i can give my notice at anytime.
    3.64KW system, aurora power one inverter, South west facing with no shading in Lancashire.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 March 2017 at 12:51PM
    Options
    has anyone got MORE than 60% off? They called me today, and initially offered 50% off, with 2 months free rental thrown in as a credit after 2 months, making it around £19 or so a month not including the 2 months 'free' bit. I ummed and ahhed and was immediately offered 60% off, with 3 months 'free', making it around £15 per month for the family package + box office.

Adding sports on to that (which I wouldnt mind doing), makes it another £10.

All without any contract and was told they can not offer any more than 60% off and theyre allowed only one 60% off per sales agent per week - probably BS, but who knows...

I said I'd think about it and thought I'd check back here to see if anyone got any more than that? They will call me back in a couple of weeks.

Ideally would like a Sky Q box instead, but the guy said they can only give offers based on keeping your current box.

What makes this a bit more complicated for me is Im due to move house in a couple of weeks, so need to inevstigate the costs of installing a new sky dish as well (was told £30 by the bloke on the phone but will confirm by calling the home move team ....)

So, to summarise, anyone got any MORE than 60% off plus 3 months 'free' line rental?

edit: just noted some people are getting 75% but you have to let the service switch off.... the 75% on its own with no credit or 'free' months works out a little cheaper over the 12 months, so I'm happy to play the waiting game....
  • mije1983
    Options
    shaggy wrote: »
    has anyone got MORE than 60% off?

60% plus account credit (£50-£100) seems to be the max you can get for TV without getting it turned off completely.

But as you said, 75% is common once you have had no Sky TV for a while. Not sure what the timeline is for that offer though.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    60% plus account credit (£50-£100) seems to be the max you can get for TV without getting it turned off completely.

But as you said, 75% is common once you have had no Sky TV for a while. Not sure what the timeline is for that offer though.

my TV switches off tomorrow and happy to wait as long as it takes :)

I'd be happy with 75% (plus credit????) and can probably justify adding Sports on to that too at that price.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback