The Stoptober 2014 Challenge - How much will you save?

Options

Comments

• Kitty777
    Kitty777 Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am not taking part as I already stopped but I just wanted to let you all know....

I decided to stop smoking on 31st december 2009. It was part of a new years resolution as none of my other friends smoked, it cost money and I smelt.
    I smoked roughly 60 a week...which meant £15 a week? Maybe more.
    In 3 years and 3months I had saved around £2500 give or take.
    In april 2013 I purchased my first car AND insured it with the
    money I had saved from smoking....Now that lovely green 2001 corsa sitting out in my drive is what can happen when you quit smoking :D
  • Former_MSE_Megan
    Options
    Kitty777 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I am not taking part as I already stopped but I just wanted to let you all know....

I decided to stop smoking on 31st december 2009. It was part of a new years resolution as none of my other friends smoked, it cost money and I smelt.
    I smoked roughly 60 a week...which meant £15 a week? Maybe more.
    In 3 years and 3months I had saved around £2500 give or take.
    In april 2013 I purchased my first car AND insured it with the
    money I had saved from smoking....Now that lovely green 2001 corsa sitting out in my drive is what can happen when you quit smoking :D

That's fantastic Kitty! You're a prime example of what you can do once you quit :)

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • funkyfreks
    funkyfreks Posts: 691 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    I'm in.... Day 7 and never felt better! I'm going from 15 a day - COLD TURKEY! xxxx

Good Luck All!!
    :starmod::starmod::starmod::starmod::starmod:
    May good luck be your friend in whatever you do and may trouble be always a stranger to you.
    :starmod::starmod::starmod::starmod::starmod:
  • Woodster76
    Woodster76 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Day 7 - done. :beer:

£40.00 saved in those 7 days :j

Everyone should be pleased with themselves for getting through the first week. :T

Cravings are still there but I can now ignore them.

Hope everyone ok. X
    16/10/2016 £9176.11 paid off 13/01/2017

£1.50/300

2017 - £25 PayPal - SB 2016 - £75 Paypal - SB
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Options
    For those of you using e-cigs: I stopped 5 months ago using this method but I bought a "shisha pipe" style which I fill with liquid myself and which I found to be much more effective than the ordinary e-cig which looks like a real cigarette.

There's also a lot to be said for getting the liquid which suits you best. Many shops now encourage people to try various liquids before purchasing. Once you've found the one you like you can order it in much cheaper from the web - from places like Mr E Cig. I'm currently spending about £8 a month for a liquid called Hangsen "RY4" as opposed to paying for smoking around 30 cigs a day for 35 years.

If anyone has any questions ask me and I'll try to help.

This is a picture of a shisha e-cig.
    Electronic-Cigarette-to-Quit-Smoking-700x467.jpg
  • Flutterby83
    Options
    GlynD, that is what I'm using and have found it a great help so far and it's easier for me to disassociate with cigarettes as the liquids come in many flavours (I've found I prefer the sweeter ones!)

Day 6 already, feels like the times flown by! How is everyone doing? I've found I'm drinking more as my mouth is so dry (not sure if that's down to the change in weather though!) and I'm starting to find I'm actually feeling quite down as opposed to being happy that I've made a positive change to my life.....is this normal?? It's not necessarily about not smoking, I just feel down in general, about everything, and don't want to revert back to my old habit of shopping to cheer me up (which is how I ended up in a huge amount of debt!) someone please tell me this is just a phase and it passes??
    Current Debt - Credit Card £3231.14; Hire Purchase £4,555; Catalogue £562.60, Loan £4754.88
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    I've got this type as well and use it with the ordinary tobacco flavour, I find it really helps. I've bought one for my son but in my panic to get it to him in time, put the wrong house number on and the people there are denying they've received it - hope it's working for them too, haha!
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    I feel down too Flutterby83, we are on a horrible journey aren't we and I regret every penny wasted on my addidiction but could so easily go back to smoking and moaning that I wish I could stop - but it will end - and I think I'm probably the only person with a BOIL! that was a shock this morning and you can guess where it is .. so I won't sit here long if you'll excuse me!
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • Flutterby83
    Options
    I'm trying not to think about how much money I've literally rolled up and smoked, just focusing on how much money I'm saving now. I was so tempted to smoke earlier but just ended up sitting at the bottom of my garden having a pity party instead, which I suppose was good because I didn't smoke but it ended up making me feel worse! I've got mouth ulcers which hurt like hell and don't seem to be going, but I think you beat me with your boil!! Hope you're not suffering too much and it disappears soon!
    Current Debt - Credit Card £3231.14; Hire Purchase £4,555; Catalogue £562.60, Loan £4754.88
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2014 at 8:04PM
    Options
    GlynD, that is what I'm using and have found it a great help so far and it's easier for me to disassociate with cigarettes as the liquids come in many flavours (I've found I prefer the sweeter ones!)

Day 6 already, feels like the times flown by! How is everyone doing? I've found I'm drinking more as my mouth is so dry (not sure if that's down to the change in weather though!) and I'm starting to find I'm actually feeling quite down as opposed to being happy that I've made a positive change to my life.....is this normal?? It's not necessarily about not smoking, I just feel down in general, about everything, and don't want to revert back to my old habit of shopping to cheer me up (which is how I ended up in a huge amount of debt!) someone please tell me this is just a phase and it passes??

That's the beauty of the shisha pipes - there are so many flavours available and to sdome people that's an extra distraction from smoking. The real benefit for me is having a tobacco flavour with a fairly strong nicotine content (24mg). I find I don't need or want a cigarette at all when using the pipe.

Of course there are other things you can do to make the "vaping" experience more pleasurable. For example: I use a Nature Vape Midi drip tip which is arguably one of the best you can buy and it holds twice as much juice so you don't have to fill it every day. Changing your drip tip can sometimes completely change the experience. I bought the NatureVape Mini for the memsahib and I really don't like the experience from it at all.

Regarding your dry mouth: sometimes the glycerine used in all e-cig juices can give you a dry mouth. I get it sometimes too if I've been on a heavy puffing session. I just take a glass of water to bed. :p

Mouth ulcers are easy to treat BTW - just get yourself down to Boots and get some Mouth Ulcer Gel, which is an own brand. It gets rid of mouth ulcers overnight. Don't suffer in silence when there's a ready and cheap cure so close. :)

Thinking of the money never really did it for me. It's the last thing I thought of to tell the truth. It's only now I realise I have a couple of hundred quid a month extra to spoil myself on with - or save.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure