Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    frugalfran wrote: »
    Hi - we have been with Eon for a long time and would not want to change!

Malc says you can see your monthly gas and electricity usage - this is true, but the figure is combined, so not really a lot of use for you to make decisions on. The monthly charts for each fuel are shown in £££, again not a lot of use as if you change your tariff it makes comparisons of USAGE invalid. We have made the point many times to Eon that it should show KWh for each fuel for each month, but so far, no joy!

Secondly the web site seems to be a problem, both for FIT and for up-dating information provided to it. Is it having a re-vamp or why is it so slow to show figures provided (e.g. monthly readings)?
    Other than that we have always been happy with the way Eon has responded to questions and queries, let's hope that will continue.

Hello frugalfran and glad we're looking after you.

Do you mean the online E.ON See tool I mentioned to Terry98 above (#1175 - 12 April 19)?

If you do, you're spot on. The charts give data in pounds and don't break down sufficiently between electric and gas. I'm going to raise this with the website developers after Easter. Can't promise anything but, I agree, presenting data in the format you're looking for would be better.

The website has been revamped recently and was down or going slowly whilst this was happening. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for raising these issues frugalfran and for staying with us.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    C.C. wrote: »
    I switched my mum to E-on in June or July last year.
    Mum wanted to go with a company that she had heard of, so E-on ticked that box, and the quote, based on actual usage over the previous year, showed that she would actually be paying less per month than she had been paying her previous supplier (which she still finds hard to believe)..

The switch was totally hassle free.

The only thing that caused slight concern came in, I think, early winter, when I decided to log on to her account to check things looked ok, and there was a big glaring warning, suggesting she pay a huge amount of money straight away (£300-ish I think from memory) in order to stay on track.
    However, having checked that her actual usage was still comparable with the same months in previous years, and that her DD payments were still easily going to cover the remaining 6 months of her contract, I decided to ignore it, and said nothing to Mum.
    Next time I checked, the suggested payment had dropped by 66%, then disappeared totally the time after that..
    If my mum had known about this, she would have been very stressed!

The only other niggle, though one that could have happened with many other companies, is that Mum got pressured into finally agreeing to having a smart meter installed.
    This is almost certain to cause problems in the future, as I don't think it is one of the latest 'transferable' meters.
    Mum could read the old meters, but can't see well enough to read the smart meter, even if she knew how to bring the necessary figures up on it, and I live too far away to do that for her!
    This is likely to complicate things when its time to switch again.

Hello C.C. and glad your mum's switch to us was hassle free.

Not sure why you saw a warning about a large payment increase. Following a switch, Monthly Direct Debits are based on the information we're given at the time. Later, they're reviewed against the ongoing usage to make sure they're on course to reach as near as possible to a zero balance by the annual review.

The warning disappearing tells me the information we had was accurate. Just a thought. Did the message coincide with the meter exchange? If it did, accounts are suspended whilst they're updated with details of the new meter. It could be, this created an anomaly resulting in the message you saw. Guessing here.

Don't worry about switching now your mum has a smart meter. As the meter was installed in the last 12 months, it'll either be SMETS2 or a later version of SMETS1. SMETS2 meters will retain their smart features following a change of supplier. Also, we're updating SMETS1 meters later this year so they can be managed in the same way as SMETS2 including being able to stay smart after a switch. These updates will be done remotely so no need for a technician to call.

With you living a distance away from your mum, the smart meter will be a benefit as it'll send us readings remotely by electronic message. This will keep her bills accurate without her or you having to worry about reading the meter.

Sorry if my speculation is off track C.C. and hope I've eased your mind about the smart meter.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    frugalfran wrote: »
    Pressure for Smart Meters
    I had to contact Eon when the site was down and I couldn't enter a reading and they also put me under pressure to have a smart meter. I would not like to say I remember exactly the words used, but the 'threat' was that if I didn't have one now - for free - I would probably have to pay for one in the future.
    I know the companies are under pressure to achieve targets on this, but there is no legal requirement to have a meter, the companies are required to OFFER one. I think I will say in future: I hear your offer, but I choose to decline, so please take this no further.'

Hello frugalfran and I'm sorry you felt we put you under pressure to have smart meters.

You're right, smart meters are optional and you can refuse all requests to have them fitted.

Where customers are eligible, our advisors will ask if they would like an appointment booking. If not, they'll also ask if there are any specific objections. This helps us gain a better understanding of why customers don't want them and if there's a need for us to look at any particular aspect of the roll-out.

Sorry again you felt hassled frugalfran.

Malc
    Options
    The switch went smoothly (not really a switch as it was the same company, just a different tariff

BUT read on . . .

They keep telling you, move, switch, your on the highest rate, etc,etc,etc.

I have tried to check the unit price I signed up for on the cheap energy club but cannot find it anywhere :( I now doubled checked previous/new bill and the only reduction is the standing charge daily - not the price per unit - that is still the same :mad: :(

So reduction daily + now paying by d/d = 57% MORE monthly !!! If anyone can work that one out, please explain to me :)

That's 57% more than the quote from the MSE Energy Club (which gave an estimate when looking for new/cheap deal.

Hello A Frayed Knot and I'm sorry you're not happy with the rates you're on.

What tariff are you on now and which tariff did you move from?

With us, you can switch from one of our tariffs to another at any time without picking up exit fees. These fees only apply when changing supplier outside of the renewal period (49 calendar days before a fixed tariff ends until 20 working days after). You can change tariff online provided you've registered with our website.

I know you've not had a good experience with switching sites but they're a good way to see what's available in the market. Pop in your annual usage in kWh. This will be on your bills or, if you've an online account and been with us for over 12 months, in the MiData section of the website.

Sorry again you're unhappy with the product you're on A Frayed Knot.

Malc
  • f3lix
    f3lix Posts: 955 Forumite
    Options
    I have been trying unsuccessfully to switch suppliers from E.on to Bulb for over two months! I first tried on the 16th February but this was blocked by E.on. Email from Bulb stated "Your current supplier has objected to it".
    I emailed E.on and the reason given was that they were updating their records to a single supply site and as soon as this was done I would be able to transfer.

On the 4th March I called and was told all should be OK to go ahead with a switch. I tried once more but again switch was blocked! I called E.on again and was told it's because I have two MPAN numbers and it would take time to sort out.

I called again on the 19th March and was told they would let me know when I could switch. I also asked form something in writing explaining the situation. Nothing received!

Called back on the 27th March and was told to leave it 2 weeks and all should be sorted. Once again asked for something in writing and once again nothing received.

Called back on the 9th April and was told that I should now be able to switch. Once again the switch was blocked!

I emailed E.on complaints who replied that I did in fact have 2 MPAN numbers and that one was correct and showing my supply as live, the second one had been de-energised since 15th March 2016. They suggested I called Bulb and get them to clear the second MPAN from their system which would allow me to switch.

I called Bulb who said the reason the switch could not go ahead is that on each occasion E.on objected to it.
    Emailed E.on, here is the reply

From what I understand the problem is that you're trying to change supplier but keeps getting objected. Firstly, I am very sorry that your supply keeps getting objected by your new supplier. I have spoken to our change of supplier team, they've confirmed that the supplier you're going with does not support your current meter type (Economy 10). This would be objected by them when they gain the supply. I've been advised if you would still like to go with the supplier we'll have to change your meter to become one that is supported by them. There is a charge of £64.76 to get this exchanged. Please let us know if you would like this to happen, and we can book you in for the meter exchange.

WHAT, BUT.....HELP! :mad:

A quick Google search returned "Yes, you can switch to Bulb with an E10 meter". I will call Bulb on Tuesday to see what they say!

Please can anyone advise on what I should be doing, and can I get compensation for time, stress and what would be a cheaper tariff?
    i tHink, therEfore I'vE goT a BLOODY heAdAche
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like Bulb energy have actually done you a favour, surprisingly
  • nicobrum
    nicobrum Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 April 2019 at 11:00AM
    Options
    Not impressed. My GoOnline v11 tariff finishes on 6 June. Bit late looking and found the tariffs are now more expensive than previous ones but thought may as well switch to avoid standard variable. Trouble is all the EON tariffs seem to insist not only do you have to agree to be contacted to have smart meters installed but now you have to have them whether you want to or not. I went through this a few months back with numerous texts asking for me to agree, and then ignoring the reply which said No. In the end got an email saying they'd been trying to contact me but no response which was incorrect as their automated system acknowledged the negative responses. After I phoned explaining I didn't want them for a number of reasons including the fact I have to store medicine in the fridge at certain times of the month which has to be kept at a specific temperature, it was accepted to put me on the exclusion list although the guy did say it could start again in 6 months. Now it looks like I've no choice unless I want to go onto a very expensive variable tariff. Not happy and I've been a happy EON customer for over 10 years switching to the cheapest deals on a regular basis. I may be looking elsewhere between now and the beginning of June. I know most of the companies are doing this but supposedly smart meters are not compulsory, well looks surprisingly compulsory now and the available tariff is over £110 more than I'm currently paying anyway.

It says everything when I could get a cheaper Big6 deal with British Gas, even if it most likely involves having to have smart meters.
    Options
    f3lix wrote: »
    I have been trying unsuccessfully to switch suppliers from E.on to Bulb for over two months! I first tried on the 16th February but this was blocked by E.on. Email from Bulb stated "Your current supplier has objected to it".
    I emailed E.on and the reason given was that they were updating their records to a single supply site and as soon as this was done I would be able to transfer.

On the 4th March I called and was told all should be OK to go ahead with a switch. I tried once more but again switch was blocked! I called E.on again and was told it's because I have two MPAN numbers and it would take time to sort out.

I called again on the 19th March and was told they would let me know when I could switch. I also asked form something in writing explaining the situation. Nothing received!

Called back on the 27th March and was told to leave it 2 weeks and all should be sorted. Once again asked for something in writing and once again nothing received.

Called back on the 9th April and was told that I should now be able to switch. Once again the switch was blocked!

I emailed E.on complaints who replied that I did in fact have 2 MPAN numbers and that one was correct and showing my supply as live, the second one had been de-energised since 15th March 2016. They suggested I called Bulb and get them to clear the second MPAN from their system which would allow me to switch.

I called Bulb who said the reason the switch could not go ahead is that on each occasion E.on objected to it.
    Emailed E.on, here is the reply

From what I understand the problem is that you're trying to change supplier but keeps getting objected. Firstly, I am very sorry that your supply keeps getting objected by your new supplier. I have spoken to our change of supplier team, they've confirmed that the supplier you're going with does not support your current meter type (Economy 10). This would be objected by them when they gain the supply. I've been advised if you would still like to go with the supplier we'll have to change your meter to become one that is supported by them. There is a charge of £64.76 to get this exchanged. Please let us know if you would like this to happen, and we can book you in for the meter exchange.

WHAT, BUT.....HELP! :mad:

A quick Google search returned "Yes, you can switch to Bulb with an E10 meter". I will call Bulb on Tuesday to see what they say!

Please can anyone advise on what I should be doing, and can I get compensation for time, stress and what would be a cheaper tariff?

Hello f3lix and I'm sorry you're having a problem switching.

Was the Economy 10 meter changed in 2016?

In recent years many of the older Economy 10 meters have been updated. The older ones had three registers (day/night/stored heat) and two MPANs. The newer ones have two registers (day/night) and one MPAN. Following these meter exchanges, secondary MPANs relating to the stored heat were de-energised.

If this is the situation, the new supplier needs to apply for the first or primary MPAN. If they're applying for the secondary MPAN or both MPANs, the switch will be blocked as one will show as de-energised on the national base that all suppliers use when putting through a change of supplier.

Alternatively, if the meter was changed in 2016 as above and the wrong MPAN was de-energised, this will need putting right both on our system and the national database. The Complaint Manager looking after your account will need to do this. This will let the switch go through.

Should the meter still be the older type with two MPANs, both need to be applied for or the switch will be blocked. I doubt this is the case as we told you one had been de-energised since 2016.

Hope this points you in the right direction f3lix.

Malc
    Options
    nicobrum wrote: »
    Not impressed. My GoOnline v11 tariff finishes on 6 June. Bit late looking and found the tariffs are now more expensive than previous ones but thought may as well switch to avoid standard variable. Trouble is all the EON tariffs seem to insist not only do you have to agree to be contacted to have smart meters installed but now you have to have them whether you want to or not. I went through this a few months back with numerous texts asking for me to agree, and then ignoring the reply which said No. In the end got an email saying they'd been trying to contact me but no response which was incorrect as their automated system acknowledged the negative responses. After I phoned explaining I didn't want them for a number of reasons including the fact I have to store medicine in the fridge at certain times of the month which has to be kept at a specific temperature, it was accepted to put me on the exclusion list although the guy did say it could start again in 6 months. Now it looks like I've no choice unless I want to go onto a very expensive variable tariff. Not happy and I've been a happy EON customer for over 10 years switching to the cheapest deals on a regular basis. I may be looking elsewhere between now and the beginning of June. I know most of the companies are doing this but supposedly smart meters are not compulsory, well looks surprisingly compulsory now and the available tariff is over £110 more than I'm currently paying anyway.

It says everything when I could get a cheaper Big6 deal with British Gas, even if it most likely involves having to have smart meters.

Hello nicobrum and thank you for staying with us for over 10 years.

Smart meters are optional and you can continue to turn down our requests to fit them. By choosing one of the current Fixed Tariffs on our website, you agree to be contacted about having them. When we contact you, they can still be refused and at this point our advisor will talk about the options available at that time.

Thanks nicobrum.

Malc
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 23 April 2019 at 9:10PM
    Options
    Just switched from Go Online V18 to Fix Online V17. Not the absolute cheapest compared to PCW results, but not terrible for our consumption and there's no dealing with our current exit fee involved.

Works out just under £5 a month more expensive, but being able to push the switch date 52 days into the future means I only lose 2 months of my current fix, which with summer consumption doesn't add up to much.
    Now next winter is locked in, and if something cheaper comes up in the meantime I can still switch again.

I have agreed to 'discuss' smart meters with this one. I wonder if I'll actually get a call given the current odd situation with my orphaned E.ON SMETS1 meter.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback