Stash Busting 2019 - I WILL use my mountains of craft stash before buying more!

Options

Comments

• nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We’ll step one was some house work. So far I have made a base for a pen pot that pencils kept escaping out of.

I then had a broken laundry basket. Cut the knackered handles off of it and cut new handles into it. It is now storing some rolled up wall paper in it.

Happy with my mini makes so far today. Yay.

120 / 400.

Also the house work is going ok (ish).

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • emsi_b
    emsi_b Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I had a mare with crafting yesterday. I was all fingers and thumbs trying to make a fancy card from an old magazine, so gave it up before I ruined it. I then tried to do some sewing- turns out my machine doesn't do heavy weight fabrics. One bent needle and several attempts later I gave that up too! My nan has a spare sewing machine (!) so my mum is going to check it over and see if it is still in good nick and then I can have that. Does it count if I'm using up someone else's stash? :think:
    I did successfully start another cross stitch in the afternoon, so not a total bust :j
    Make £2024 in 2024- £352.54/£2024

41/200- bust my craft stash 2024! £10.80 spent
    211/200- bust my craft stash 2023!
  • nimbo
    Options
    Yes using others stash counts. You’ve also used up at least one spare needle. I love the fact that my sewing machine will do thicker fabrics. It was an amazing investment. That I don’t use nearly enough.

having a pants day. I went to b&m for some wall paper samples. Shop closed for refurbishment.

Plan to pop Over to the craft store to trace out a pattern for the dress making course. Shops closed on a Monday. Realised after checking the facebook page for the postcode and after getting there. Yay.

I popped to Asda to get some pyjama pants. None that were stretchy material or my size. Boo.

Popped to the next Asda. Still no pj pants.

I did get some wall paper samples from b&q. Yay.

Trying to get a part of the cabinet out of the cupboard. I can’t find the claw hammer. Start looking in the shed.

effing hate men. There’s tools all over not put away. My mini sander is not in its box or the bag to keep it all together. Also no sanding sheets left. I know there were some. There’s even an empty package for them. Yay. Wouldn’t mind if he’d said as I’ve just been to b&q Where I could have got some.

I have however got the cabinet wiped down. So it’s a start. Going to take some before pics and then give it a rough sand. I still want to get the slotty thing out. It will make a nice pen pot at some point.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
  • nimbo
    Options
    Yesterday I mended partners trousers first thing in the morning. Yay.

I have today fallen off the wagon today. Spent £2.50 on a fat quarter. I needed a blue batik. I have now part assembled a quilt. Used up 6 fat quarters. Not counting it until it’s all done. It will be for my partner. I have wadding and backing. I may need to sort out some boarders of he wants it to be bigger once done. He also wants me to appliqu! in it. I offered woodland creatures. He wants willies. He would think it was funny. I’m going to see if I can come up with a compromise of some description.

My mother and sister decided to pop over and reduced me to tears over the state of the kitchen. I love uninvited guests.

121 / 400.

• ponypal
    ponypal Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Managed to use up another pen and I haven't bought anything since I lasted posted!
    Debt Free since December 2017#11 3-6 month Emergency Fund - £3,207.08/£6,000.00
  • nimbo
    Options
    The quilt is on hold for today. I will count the blocks when completed. I’ve been really through with it. Ironed all the seams open and squared it all up as I’ve gone. Just need to add one strip to each block (needed to press some seams before I did them).

It will need Sashing I think. I will need to buy fabric to do that. But have some birthday moneys for vouchers to do this with.

I have started to prime the cabinet. YAY!!!!!!!!! Due to being covered in paint I’m not filling my time with the fabric craft. Haha. So nothing finished. But progress at least.

I will need once the cabinet is painted and papered to have some project boxes in it. ( the theory is work sin progress can live in it). Someone suggested fabric baskets - I wondered if anyone had any ideas for free patterns for either patterns of craft work bags or baskets / boxes I could whip up. I have masses of leather and fabric. Limited supply of batting or wadding and interfacing. I have a couple of shoe boxes that will do for now but they’re not very hard wearing or the right size / shape really.

• emsi_b
    emsi_b Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nimbo, I'm making a bag out of stiffer fabric (no idea what it is, my knowledge of fabric is not great). I'm hoping being stiffer it will be more self supporting than a cotton one would be. I've used the size of my "peg bag" as the basis. It's a tiny little bag for life I got from grasmere gingerbread shop, only 25cm long. Could you self draught something? Use some cardboard in between layers to add a bit extra rigidity if needed? My bag is for the dishclothes under the sink, so not really cardboard territory!
    Make £2024 in 2024- £352.54/£2024

41/200- bust my craft stash 2024! £10.80 spent
    211/200- bust my craft stash 2023!
  • nimbo
    Options
    Emsi. I have started to self draft. But feel I’m relying more on the wing it approach. I’m such a professional....

I’ve hacked the tops off one pair of jeans. And planning to make the base square (ish) - and use some wadding quilted with the lining fabric to make the base stiffer. I’ll put some leather or fabric handles on it to make it portable for classes and workshops. I have another pair of jeans - maybe two lined up for the next baskets.

I’ve unpicked some fabric from a skirt. This will be the liner. Until I’ve sewn the jean basket I’m leaving it in one piece so I can draft the liner then. The base will need to be made to measure.

I’ve Decided that I’m counting each coat on the cabinet as one thing done. It’s probably going to take four coats 2 of primer and 2 of paint.... (this is to motivate me to prioritise it or it’s never going to be done). I’m then going to paper sections of it. The cabinet gave me a splinter. Boo. I have a plaster on my finger as I made myself bleed while getting it out.

I’ve also finished 6 quilt blocks. These have used 6 fq’s so not a tiny amount of fabric used. (Not that I can tell - I should start a bloody market stall) hahah.

129 / 400.

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    I did buy the little girls dress pattern and a cutting mat but everything else is from stash. th_IMG_4706_zpsvdfrprb3.jpg
    Made for my mum for Mother's Day

th_IMG_4718_zpswon5qlju.jpg
    Quick make for a work colleague

th_IMG_4719_zpscvfpol3l.jpg
    Hungry caterpillar dress for my granddaughter

th_IMG_4727_zpsvmtbc4no.jpg
    Girlpower dress for granddaughter

th_IMG_4766_zpszmofayhm.jpg
    Marvel heroes dress for granddaughter

th_IMG_4757_zpsiirckxwr.jpg
    Finished crossstitching granddaughters Christmas stocking just need to actually make it now

th_IMG_4765_zpsrqrtlyac.jpg
    Hat from a kit I've been meaning to make for ages.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • nimbo
    Options
    Mrs money penny those makes are amazing. You’ve been super productive.

today I have bought things to craft with. However I have spent vouchers and cash received for my bday.

Dress making course has been paid for as a gift. Yay.

I have the bought some amazing liberty fabric to make the dress in again. It’s so beautiful I just want to stroke it.

I picked up some panels and Baltic fabric for quilts.

I still have £38 of my birthday money left. Which is nice.

Tomorrow I need to add another paint layer onto the cabinet and I want to finish the big denim project basket that i have started. I reckon I can manage this seens as all shops are closed and I have no other plans except housework.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport